Pobol Y Cwm (Part 2)

Comments

• sderr123sderr123 Posts: 13,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex Harris is great. I really like him, its probably good he isn't a regular on PYC. Playing someone like Scott 5 days a week would do my head in.
  • wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow page 2 already
    :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wavlovr wrote: »
    Wow page 2 already
    :D

You got to post first on page 2. :)
  • welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    he's playing amazing part
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeh Alex is doing an amazing job. Rhys is brilliant, as ever. I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow
    Forum Member
    I always watch it on sunday but couldnt help watching it today
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok here I am crying over a soap. What kind of person would do that to Sion? Who tells someone's father a thing like that. I don't think I have ever hated a soap opera character as much as I hate Scott.

Guess that means Alex is doing a great job. Although I might suggest doing some comedy after playing Scott. LOL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeh I was so shocked when I (read) what he said! PYC never shys away from anything, which is good.
    Forum Member
    anyone else agree if this was any other soap he win awards
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Yeh I was so shocked when I (read) what he said! PYC never shys away from anything, which is good.

I love that this is in Welsh, but don't you sometimes wish it was in English so more people would see this. There are so many important issues that this brings up. I actually felt motivated to look up the sexual assault laws. I learned a few interesting things too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welshsarah wrote: »

It would win awards even if it were not on a soap. Its better than a lot of dramas with much higher production values.
  • wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welshsarah wrote: »

I agree whole heartedly. As sderr so rightly said - if it was an English speaking soap it would get more recognition.
    But me personally I love reading the subtitles, I can get into a soap more that way.
    Yet if PYC was English and had English subtitles on the screen, I wouldn`t enjoy it so much.
    Strange huh
    :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wavlovr wrote: »
    I agree whole heartedly. As sderr so rightly said - if it was an English speaking soap it would get more recognition.
    But me personally I love reading the subtitles, I can get into a soap more that way.
    Yet if PYC was English and had English subtitles on the screen, I wouldn`t enjoy it so much.
    Strange huh
    :)

Wavlovr don't get me wrong I love the subtitles and PYC fans are the best soap fans.

This storyline on sexual assault is so realistic, and this is such universal problem and we do such a bad job in dealing with this problem something like this needs to be seen as many people as possible. So I wish this was done in English so that as many people around the world could see it. Things only change if people attitudes change and this storyline could change a lot of minds about sexual assault.

Maybe someday. I don't think you would see this on American television at least not at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Scott wasn't saying those things to Sion to really hurt him. He was taunting him because he was trying to make Sion beat him up or even kill him. It's why he gave him the knife. He did the same thing when he pushed Macs to punch him, he wanted them to do it. Sion is right when he says Scott hates himself, he does so much that he wants to be physically punished for what he did.

It's similar to Gwyneth. She felt so much guilt that she was going to let herself die of cancer because she thought that's what she deserved. Their guilt means a big part of them wants to die as it's an easy way out of the burden they feel. The other part of them is too scared or cowardly to go to the police and face justice because they know they'll go to prison. Ironically in someways their self hatred and guilt is punishing them more than the law ever could. It's really interesting to see how tortured they are. You get some good scenes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kittykat30 wrote: »
    Scott wasn't saying those things to Sion to really hurt him. He was taunting him because he was trying to make Sion beat him up or even kill him. It's why he gave him the knife. He did the same thing when he pushed Macs to punch him, he wanted them to do it. Sion is right when he says Scott hates himself, he does so much that he wants to be physically punished for what he did.

It doesn't mean what Scott said to Macs and Sion wasn't the truth. I saw the rape episodes, something very sadistic went on there with all due respect. The way Macs was covered in bruises something incredibly violent took place. I get that he feels guilty in some sense. But what he said is going to stick with Sion forever. And if he had managed to get Sion to kill him, it would have destroyed the White family.

And what he said to Macs about wanting to get close to him, yes I think it was to get him to punch him, but I also think it was the most honest thing he said to Macs. What Macs said to Scott was absolutely right, I think what Macs did to Scott was the type of thing you would get punched in the face for. The way Angela acts as a verbal bully is similar. Very nasty to be sure but a normal person would not get to the place of wanting to rape someone over that.

Something was going on there that Scott is not fully owning up to. Most of that conversation with Macs I felt like it was just out and out lies. That's why Macs was not going admit that what he did to Izzy was the same thing.
    Forum Member
    I have seen the rape episodes myself on YouTube. But I'm not talking about then, yes that was sadistic at the time. Though I am talking about now. And it is obvious Scott hates himself for what he did. He wants to be punished but not by going to jail. He would be happy if they beat him or even killed him. He is obviously disturbed but he is also remorseful in his own way.

What he said to Sion was to get him to snap. He didn't say it to be evil that's not what it was about. I thought the scene was very clear about why he said those things. Part of him wants them to extract revenge. I think that is really why he's come back.

Macs won't admit what he did to Izzy because he doesn't want to think he could be close to being like Scott. It isn't just about not admitting it to Scott, he won't admit to himself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you think Sion will tell Gary what happened to Macs?

I didn't see the Macs/Izzy stuff, but did Macs own up etc?
    Forum Member
    I think Sion might tell Garry. He needs to talk to someone and he doesn't feel like it can be his family because he wants to look strong for them. Macs will deal with all this himself anyway when he reveals the recorded truth. Garry doesn't need to get involved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kittykat30 wrote: »
    I have seen the rape episodes myself on YouTube. But I'm not talking about then, yes that was sadistic at the time. Though I am talking about now. And it is obvious Scott hates himself for what he did. He wants to be punished but not by going to jail. He would be happy if they beat him or even killed him. He is obviously disturbed but he is also remorseful in his own way.

What he said to Sion was to get him to snap. He didn't say it to be evil that's not what it was about. I thought the scene was very clear about why he said those things. Part of him wants them to extract revenge. I think that is really why he's come back.

Macs won't admit what he did to Izzy because he doesn't want to think he could be close to being like Scott. It isn't just about not admitting it to Scott, he won't admit to himself.

It may not have been intended to be evil, but it was in fact an evil thing to say. I also think it was probably true. I feel completely different about Gwyneth, although I think she is lying about why she set the fire, I think she is telling the truth in regard to not wanting to hurt anyone. Scott on the other hand I think is lying about why he committed his crime. But then he expects Macs to say he raped Izzy, so he can feel better.

Actually I think it is a fair point that Macs doesn't want say that he did the same thing to Izzy. Its been interesting to read the actual law. We would probably not be having a conversation about rape if Macs were a woman. A woman who blackmailed an adult man for sex by threatening to report a crime would never be considered to have committed rape. Only men can commit rape the rape law is based on male anatomy.

I still think Macs committed a sexual assualt. But I am wondering if there aren't some real gender biases going on here. I think I am going to try to check my assumptions. But I think that is why this is such a great storyline. Making the victim male and not an angel brings up so many issues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think Sion will tell Gary what happened to Macs?

I didn't see the Macs/Izzy stuff, but did Macs own up etc?

Well Sion obviously knows so its no secret.
    Forum Member
    sderr123 wrote: »
    It may not have been intended to be evil, but it was in fact an evil thing to say. I also think it was probably true. I feel completely different about Gwyneth, although I think she is lying about why she set the fire, I think she is telling the truth in regard to not wanting to hurt anyone. Scott on the other hand I think is lying about why he committed his crime. But then he expects Macs to say he raped Izzy, so he can feel better.

Actually I think it is a fair point that Macs doesn't want say that he did the same thing to Izzy. Its been interesting to read the actual law. We probably not be having a conversation about rape if Macs were a woman. A woman who blackmailed an adult man for sex by threatening to report a crime would never be considered to have committed rape. Only men can commit rape the rape law is based on male anatomy.

I still think Macs committed a sexual assualt. But I am wondering if there aren't some real gender biases going on here. I think I am going to try to check my assumptions. But I think that is why this is such a great storyline. Making the victim male and not an angel brings up so many issues.

Of course he's lying about why he raped Macs. He wouldn't admit he was a pervert. Macs won't admit why he did what he did to Izzy. Neither of them can face why they really did those things. Because it says something about them they can't handle.

But Scott is clearly feeling remorse and self hatred for what he can admit he did. I don't think he lied when he said he'd wanted to die when he tried to commit suicide. And I believe him when he says he's sorry. And that he wants the others to physically punish him. It doesn't mean he shouldn't be legally punished for what he did. It's just good that we know he feels alot of guilt. He shouldn't get away with this without it haunting him for the rest of his life. Which it will, especially when it loses him Izzy. When he said those things to Sion it wasn't about deliberately making him feel bad it was so he'd hate him enough to hurt or stab him. Scott is too cowardly to try to commit suicide again, or go to the police. He wants the others to give him his punishment.

There's no gender bias here at all. Rape is horrendous crime regardless of gender. What Scott did was disgusting and he should be rotting in prison. It still doesn't change the fact the writers are showing the character to have remorse. It doesn't make me want to see him escape punishment though. As for Macs what he did makes me lose respect for his character and think he too should be in prison. But it doesn't mean I am glad he was raped, not at all. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I just think the guilty should be legally punished more often than they are on PYC, especially for sex crimes. That is two people who are walking free right now. It's hard to say one should be imprisoned without saying the same about the other. I'm at the point where both disgust me in different ways. Scott more so, but both are on my crap list.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Macs said the other night that Izzy gave consent -is he lying?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember when I started watching the soap last November.
    A particular scene which was morning, Danni was living at Dianes.
    She and a guy who was shirtless walked downstairs
    Did Danni have a one night stand or did Gethin stay at Dianes
  • frannydfrannyd Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

when Macs came back to Cwmderi, he and Jinx were friends, they had a few nights out together where Macs was taking drugs. Macs started to see Izzy and he became very controlling. Izzy finished with Macs and started seeing Jinx. Macs couldn't accept the fact that he and Izzy were finished and he became jealous of Jinx and put drug in his drink. Jinx want to Macs flat to find evidence, Macs came home and he admitted drugging Jinx so Jinx beat him up. Macs recorded it on his computer so he gave Izzy the choice of either sleeping with him or he would turn Jinx into the police. Izzy decided to sleep with Macs and she met him in a hotel room. He did force her to sleep with him in one way, but whether this could be classed as rape I don't know.
    But Macs is still guilty of drugging Jinx.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She agreed to have sex with him. She was coerced into doing so. But as far I am concerned reporting Jinx to the police is not a situation where I would feel obligated to say yes. Jinx violated his parole so Macs could have gone to the police at anytime anyway. As I understand the situation she didn't go to her mother because she had been having consensual affairs with her teachers and didn't want Gaynor to know. She was protecting her behavior by not going to her mother. I think Macs did have legal consent. Whether he had moral consent is another question.

The idea that Macs would have gotten some sort of long prison sentence here is just wrong. He would not have. If Izzy had gone to the police he would have gotten some short sentence and been out. I am not sure that would have produced remorse.

Unless you think that Macs should be convicted of rape. If we are going to say that I think we should be completely aware that the rape law actually uses the word penis. So only men can commit rape. So a man could be sentenced for 8 years for coercing sex and a woman who did the same thing would might not even go to prison at all. \
    If you that is fair and non-biased because men are somehow more responsible for sexual assault, I think you are nuts. Its treating people differently based on their gender.
This discussion has been closed.