Setting up DVD recorder

El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What is the best way to set up my TV, Sky+, Video and DVD recorder so that I can record programmes off the Sky+ box to DVD? I already have a DVD player so I could stick that in the loop as well I was thinking so that if I am copying something from the Sky box to a DVD I could still watch a DVD on the player? Let me know if you can. Cheers. :D

Comments

• broadzbroadz Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell us how many connections your TV has (scart and others), how many connections your DVDR has (in and out), and how many connections your VCR has.
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    broadz wrote:
    Tell us how many connections your TV has (scart and others), how many connections your DVDR has (in and out), and how many connections your VCR has.

The TV has 2 scart inputs one RGB which I have a RGB scart splitter connected to. This currently has the sky box, DVD player and playstation plugged into it. I think it has a few connections free. The DVDR will have two I guess (not got it yet) and the Video has two as well as does the DVD player. I was thinking that the video could be plugged straight into the second non RGB scart on the TV so that is sorted. Then it is just the rest really. Hope that helps. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    El Guapo wrote:
    The TV has 2 scart inputs one RGB which I have a RGB scart splitter connected to. This currently has the sky box, DVD player and playstation plugged into it. I think it has a few connections free. The DVDR will have two I guess (not got it yet) and the Video has two as well as does the DVD player. I was thinking that the video could be plugged straight into the second non RGB scart on the TV so that is sorted. Then it is just the rest really. Hope that helps. :D

What I'd do is just leave everything as you have it but take the scart from the Sky box and plug it into the RGB input scart on the new DVD recorder, the another scart from the RGB output scart on the DVD recorder to your scart splitter. (Assuming your DVD recorder has RGB in and out) That way you're always sending the output of the sky box through the DVD recorder for recording, and even when not switched on for recording the signal should still pass through the recorder to the TV.

Is your scart splitter switchable or does it output whatever device is turned on? If it's switchable then you could easily watch a DVD or have the Playstation on while you're recording something to DVD - you'd just select the appropriate ouput on the switcher. If it's not switchable you might have a problem as the switcher might try and over-ride the DVD player output with the output from the recorder.

You're right to send the VHS deck to AV2 on the TV as it is not RGB enabled.

Hope that makes sense!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok cheers. Guess I will have to check the connections on the new DVD recorder first. Thanks for the advice. I will set it up this weekend hopefully so will report back. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, got it all set up but I have a question that hopefully you can help me with. When I record a programme from the Sky+ planner onto a DVD it is not doing this in RGB format although everything is setup for RGB? Any ideas? Is it just a case that DVD recorder cannot input RGB? If this is the case it is not very good is it and how can I check this? Cheers. :confused::D
    Forum Member
    El Guapo wrote:
    OK, got it all set up but I have a question that hopefully you can help me with. When I record a programme from the Sky+ planner onto a DVD it is not doing this in RGB format although everything is setup for RGB? Any ideas? Is it just a case that DVD recorder cannot input RGB? If this is the case it is not very good is it and how can I check this? Cheers. :confused::D

Yes, the most common cause of something like this is the DVD recorder not having RGB input - a lot of them still don't. If it does have it then there should be a menu on the input settings that will allow you to change the input scart from composite or PAL to RGB. The manual should give some info...

What is the make & model number of your DVD recorder? It's probably easier if you just tell us that, someone will be able to determine whether it's RGB enabled or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzgig wrote:
    Yes, the most common cause of something like this is the DVD recorder not having RGB input - a lot of them still don't. If it does have it then there should be a menu on the input settings that will allow you to change the input scart from composite or PAL to RGB. The manual should give some info...

What is the make & model number of your DVD recorder? It's probably easier if you just tell us that, someone will be able to determine whether it's RGB enabled or not.

Hi there thanks for taking a look. It is this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-RDR-GX120-Format-Layer-Recorder/dp/B000F5UJTC/ref=pd_sbs_ce_4/203-4065651-2949562

Sony RDR-GX120 Dual Format / Dual Layer DVD Recorder

Cheers :)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    El Guapo wrote:
    Hi there thanks for taking a look. It is this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-RDR-GX120-Format-Layer-Recorder/dp/B000F5UJTC/ref=pd_sbs_ce_4/203-4065651-2949562

Sony RDR-GX120 Dual Format / Dual Layer DVD Recorder

Cheers :)

Here's a clip from the spec in the service manual:
    LINE 1 – TV: 21-pin
    CVBS IN/OUT
    S-Video/RGB OUT (upstream)
    LINE 3/DECODER: 21-pin
    CVBS IN/OUT
    S-Video/RGB IN
    (RGB signals cannot be recorded)
    S-Video OUT (downstream)
    Decoder

So you can't record from RGB, it's just a loop through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a clip from the spec in the service manual:

So you can't record from RGB, it's just a loop through.

Nooooooooooooo! God damn it! So there is no way around this then? Anyone know of a model that I can do this with? Cheers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone recommend a DVD recorder that can record in RGB quality? Sony would be good but any make will do I guess. I do not really need a hard drive but freeview built in would be good. Anyway let me know. Cheers. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if many do RGB in - have you tried recording using S-Video? The Sky+ box has S-Video out, and the recorder has S-Video in on the front panel (under a little flap to the bottom right) on Input "L2". I record through S-Video with this machine from the Sky+ and although the quality is not RGB quality, it is far superior to Composite which looks truly awful when you playback recordings made in it. Just be aware also, that you will need a seperate audio cable aswell as an S-Video cable as audio and video are handled seperately with S-Video.
  • fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an LG DR175 - which will acccept RGB in and record RGB (you have to tweak the settings). But, and this is a big but, it will not pass through the RGB signal when it is in standby. So, I have had to switch back to using the video SCART on the sky box to connect to the DVDR as the TV SCART goes direct to the TV...

...that is unless anyone can suggest a workaround.:)

I have invested in a 3 into 1 scart splitter - which I was going to use to split the RGB from SKY (TV, DVDR and wireless transmitter) but I am worried about interference as it is not a switchable one (intentionally)
    Forum Member
    The Panasonic DMR-ES20D is a fantastic little recorder. It has Freeview built in and allows RGB input. I have one and it works perfectly for recording from my Sky+ box. It also allows RGB pass-through when it's in standby so you don't need to leave it on all the time. I'd highly recommend it, though it might be harder to come by now as it's since been replaced by newer models.

Check the specs on the Panasonic websire - you can download manuals of the latest models from there too so you can check for recording capabilities.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzgig wrote:
    The Panasonic DMR-ES20D is a fantastic little recorder. It has Freeview built in and allows RGB input. I have one and it works perfectly for recording from my Sky+ box. It also allows RGB pass-through when it's in standby so you don't need to leave it on all the time. I'd highly recommend it, though it might be harder to come by now as it's since been replaced by newer models.

Check the specs on the Panasonic websire - you can download manuals of the latest models from there too so you can check for recording capabilities.

Hi Fizzgig! Thanks for the info! I will take a look at that! Also thanks to the other comments as well! Cheers! :D
    I found this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMREZ25-DVD-Recorder-Freeview/dp/B000GYHYCC/sr=8-1/qid=1172224566/ref=pd_ka_1/203-4065651-2949562?ie=UTF8&s=electronics
    Forum Member
    El Guapo wrote:
    Hi Fizzgig! Thanks for the info! I will take a look at that! Also thanks to the other comments as well! Cheers! :D

Glad to be of service!

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/dvd-recorders/dmr-ez25eb-s/index.htm

This seems to be the equivalent new model of my machine and does seem to have RGB-in.