Could cat lovers please sign his epetition

2»

Comments

• HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    SummerLou wrote: »
    Signed and shared for you. My cats don't go out but I would like to think someone stopped for them if they were run over. It was very upsetting for me and my little girl when we found one it had happened to. We tried to locate its owners, even took it's body to the vets to check for a chip but it didn't have one. I kept thinking of its owners distressed searching for it.

It is really distressing! Last year, my sister saw a cat run over (the driver was speeding), so she stopped at took it to the nearest vet. They told her that it survived, but we don't know whether they found its owner. :(

Thanks for signing :)
    Forum Member
    sareypoop wrote: »
    My lovely little cat Belle was hit and left to try and make her way home 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately I found her and she had died. I'm still distraught about it so I've signed and hope it makes some difference.

That's so awful - I'm sorry for your loss. (((hugs)))
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I hunk that you have to STOP for any thing you are not 100% sure of, so hit something in the dark you are meant to stop, it's reporting that involves dogs etc. personally, and I say this as a cat lover I don't think that drivers need to report it, it would be nice if they did, but not a necessity.
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HollyC wrote: »
    I do agree with you to a certain extent, but I also think that a driver should stop whatever animal it hits.

My cat is elderly and doesn't go out much, when she does it is just to pootle around my back garden. As she can't really jump very well, and I live in a terraced house, she can't get to the road at the front of the house. So I'm not really at risk of her being run over.

I've also been lucky so far, in that I've never had a cat run over.

I'm certainly not attaching any blame to a driver who runs over a cat (unless s/he was driving like a knob anyway!), but I still feel pretty strongly that a cat being run over should be reportable.

Thanks to those who have signed.

Our cat is a housecat .Last night she was practically ripped open by a cat that often tries to get into the house .It's even attacked our puppy in the garden .I've tried squirting it etc but it appears it just wants to fight our animals .I'm going to get tough with it now and see how it copes .
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Signed, though it would help if cats were chipped as dogs must be, this would help trace the owners.
  • ste1969ste1969 Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mackara wrote: »
    Signed, though it would help if cats were chipped as dogs must be, this would help trace the owners.

good idea then they could pay for the damage their pest(sorry pet) has caused to the drivers car
    Forum Member
    mackara wrote: »

I agree that all pets should be chipped - in fact, I can't understand why someone would have a cat, dog or a rabbit, and not get them chipped. :confused:

And ste1969, I agree with you too - but that means they would have to stop and get the animal to a vet to find out who the owners are, which is the whole point. I'm not bothered about why someone stops, as long as they do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ic wrote: »
    When cats have got microchips and name tags I'll sign it .Until then it's totally pointless .And I am a cat owner before anyone gets on their high horse .

Both my cats are chipped and have name tags, I thought any responsible owner of an outdoor cat would do this
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ste1969 wrote: »
    good idea then they could pay for the damage their pest(sorry pet) has caused to the drivers car

Sorry to post again but wow!! Would you expect a parent to pay for damages if a child dented a car?? Or is that different because a child is a human and a cat is just an animal.
  • CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..signed.
  • GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Signed by me too. It MUST be made illegal to drive away if you have hit another living being. Authorities MUST also stop making a distinction between humans and animals because humans are animals too.

Good luck to the starter of the petition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to post again but wow!! Would you expect a parent to pay for damages if a child dented a car?? Or is that different because a child is a human and a cat is just an animal.

As I said before, humans ARE animals! That is an irrefutable scientific fact. Nobody is going to tell me that humans are more important because there is nothing to prove it.

Please don't think that was a personal attack on you Nikkinockinoo. It's just that I'm sick of some people thinking that humans are the be all and end all.
    Forum Member
    GibsonGirl wrote: »
    As I said before, humans ARE animals! That is an irrefutable scientific fact. Nobody is going to tell me that humans are more important because there is nothing to prove it.

Please don't think that was a personal attack on you Nikkinockinoo. It's just that I'm sick of some people thinking that humans are the be all and end all.

It really bugs me when thugs are referred to as behaving like animals - animals would not do anything like the bad things that humans can do.

Thanks again to those who have signed the petition.
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Signed and happy to be able to do so:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really bugs me when thugs are referred to as behaving like animals - animals would not do anything like the bad things that humans can do.

Thanks again to those who have signed the petition.

I was just pointing out that humans are also animals. People must start realising and accepting that fact.

Anyway, thugs are miserable low life scum, and I would happily strip them of all their rights and punish them properly.

Oh, and you're welcome (regarding signing the petition). Glad to do so. :)
  • mackembloke72mackembloke72 Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    as a cat guardian ...id love to say owner but she owns me more i think....ive signed the petition and support it gladly..
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also signed :)
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I came across this epetition on Facebook (:o). It's a petition to change the law so that you have to stop if you run over a cat. It's not my petition, but it is something I feel needs to be changed.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/36876

How about all the other animals hit by cars? We get a lot of road kill/injured animals out in the sticks and I'd have to stop several times a trip.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Signed. We have had a couple of cats that were run over, one the bin men found and brought home to us and the other just outside our house the car was going to fast, must have known they had hit her and just drove off. The car behind stopped and was going to take her to a vet when a neighbour came out and recognised the cat. All our cats have always worn collars with tags with our phone number on and they are all micro chipped.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've signed it.

Well done for starting it.
    Forum Member
    I've signed it.

Well done for starting it.

Thanks, but really I can't take any credit because it wasn't started by me. :)

A friend on Facebook, who is a vet, shared a link, and it is something that I believe in, and, as it didn't have many signatures, I thought I would try posting it on here, just to try and reach more people. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, but really I can't take any credit because it wasn't started by me. :)

A friend on Facebook, who is a vet, shared a link, and it is something that I believe in, and, as it didn't have many signatures, I thought I would try posting it on here, just to try and reach more people. :)

Well done for bringing it to our attention on here then. (Saying this is a good excuse to bump the thread by the way).:)