Comprehensive list of DTT Multiplexes

Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just to make people aware, a list of multiplexes is available here (on ChannelWiki):

http://channelwiki.x10.mx/wiki/List_of_DTT_multiplexes

I've also provided a list of DTT Transmitters (from Ofcom)

Hope this helps.

Comments

• Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Local TV multiplexes have also been added.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You say
    As DSO completed in each region, so the multiplexes were re-named to PSB1 - 3 and COM1 - 3
    However, in the Digital UK Channel Listings, and later on your page, they are defined as PSB 1 - 3 and COM 4 - 6.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    You sayHowever, in the Digital UK Channel Listings, and later on your page, they are defined as PSB 1 - 3 and COM 4 - 6.

Sorry about that. Slight mistake by someone who edited the page.

Fixed. Thanks.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, I thought it was the other way around and that BBC A, BBC B, D 3&4, SDN, Arq A, Arq B were the new names.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Hmm, I thought it was the other way around and that BBC A, BBC B, D 3&4, SDN, Arq A, Arq B were the new names.

they are right too, I think thats the general names and PSB 1-3 and COM 4-6 are the trade names.

The pre DSO names being 1, 2, A, B, C, D with just the first two being PSB I think originally and the BBC taking MUX B as what is now BBC B, MUX A is now SDN and C and D were always com type MUXs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I would like to know is how far from the transmitter you are able to pick up the local MUXs, as I live quite a distance from the Mendip transmitter, which is the one I get DTT from, so Im wondering if I will get the local TV service from it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that the 1-6 form is easier to remember. Those other names seem to be designed to confuse!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that the 1-6 form is easier to remember. Those other names seem to be designed to confuse!
    It's not that confusing. BBC A and BBC B are, unsurprisingly, run by the BBC. D 3&4 is, unsurprisingly, run by ITV and Channel 4. Those 3 are all PSBs so they are the PSB muxes. Arq A and Arq B are, unsurprisingly, run by Arqiva. Not sure about SDN. :D
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about SDN. :D

Run by ITV obviously. ;)
  • xtazxtaz Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    What I would like to know is how far from the transmitter you are able to pick up the local MUXs, as I live quite a distance from the Mendip transmitter, which is the one I get DTT from, so Im wondering if I will get the local TV service from it?

Yeah me too. It'll be interesting to see. I'm about 30 miles north of Mendip but receive all the existing MUX's with about 50% strength on my PVR and 95% strength on my TV (shows how useless these meters are!) with a 48 element aerial in my loft. Curious if it'll be enough to pick up the local MUX.

The current MUX's are 100kw, but before DSO when they were 10kw I still picked them up without any issues, so I guess there's probably a good chance of it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xtaz wrote: »
    Yeah me too. It'll be interesting to see. I'm about 30 miles north of Mendip but receive all the existing MUX's with about 50% strength on my PVR and 95% strength on my TV (shows how useless these meters are!) with a 48 element aerial in my loft. Curious if it'll be enough to pick up the local MUX.

The current MUX's are 100kw, but before DSO when they were 10kw I still picked them up without any issues, so I guess there's probably a good chance of it?

You are a lot closer to the transmitter than me though! Im about twice the distance at least from Mendip. Although apparently people in my area could pick up the pre DSO MUXs ok, with some break up on the 64QAM encoded MUXs. So there is hope yet I suppose!
  • IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xtaz wrote: »

The modulation used for the local mux is far more robust and if Comux UK get their way on the height for the transmitter I would expect coverage to exceed the pre-DSO muxes although I don't know if there are any directional restrictions.
  • reslfjreslfj Posts: 1,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IanP wrote: »
    The modulation used for the local mux is far more robust and if Comux UK get their way on the height for the transmitter I would expect coverage to exceed the pre-DSO muxes although I don't know if there are any directional restrictions.
    Why not read the document ?

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/tv/local-tv/coverage-note.pdf
    Page 41-42
    The coverage map is calculated for the 8 Mbps mode (CR=2/3). The 9 Mbps mode (CR=3/4) will cover a little less.

The Mendip local TX-antenna is only directed towards Bristol and tilted downwards.

Lars :)
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    IanP wrote: »
    Yes there are directional restrictions. Wenvoe and Mendip are assigned the same frequencies for Cardiff and Bristol local TV services. http://www.a516digital.com/2012/09/local-tv-bristol-and-cardiff-technical.html
    As you can imagine, this will severely restrict availability outside of the target cities.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Lars and a516, I guess for a lot of people it's going to be a case of wait and see when it comes to reception of local services. Depending on what the two "national" channels are on the Mux will determine for many whether it's worth having anyway. I for one have very little interest in a local channel, I often leave BBC1 HD on showing idents and trailers if I'm online or doing something else during the regional news.
  • xtazxtaz Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Well according to that coverage map I'm right in the middle of a purple area so I guess I'll be getting it then. Not that I'm ever likely to watch it, but it's still nice to have these things anyway!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be happy to receive any feedback (e.g. information which could be added).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The start dates for Mux L phase 1 have been pushed back as detailed in the Ofcom Technical Plan - Miltiplex L document dated 29th July 2013.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So do we know what configuration they're using? Will it provide 9 Mbps of space and therefore be enough for 2 extra streams in addition to the local TV channel?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the "Future EPG launches/closures or moves" section (and maybe others) it might be worth including the year on each entry so that, in the event that you should become unable to update it, the 2013 dates are still clear next year and beyond.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the feeback
    In the "Future EPG launches/closures or moves" section (and maybe others) it might be worth including the year on each entry so that, in the event that you should become unable to update it, the 2013 dates are still clear next year and beyond.

Are you talking about all the lists? Or just terrestrial?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    Are you talking about all the lists? Or just terrestrial?
    Well, it is up to you. I was really meaning anywhere that a date is mentioned without the year being defined, but "Future EPG launches/closures or moves" (Section 2 in "List of channels on Digital Terrestrial Television (UK)" was where I noticed it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it is up to you. I was really meaning anywhere that a date is mentioned without the year being defined, but "Future EPG launches/closures or moves" (Section 2 in "List of channels on Digital Terrestrial Television (UK)" was where I noticed it.

I agree. I'll get round to adding 2013 later today or tomorrow... I'll also ask other members to include the year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • smoothieahoysmoothieahoy Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    At least it isn't fascist in having useful and genuine information randomly deleted for no real reson like Wikipedia is. :)