Master to Missy?

Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Without giving major spoilers could somebody tell me if you see a Master to Missy regeneration scene in TMA?

Comments

• AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    As unlikely as I think it is, wouldn't what you want be a huge spoiler in and of itself?
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As unlikely as I think it is, wouldn't what you want be a huge spoiler in and of itself?

It wouldn't be that big as I have my suspecions it will happen. Knowing if John Simm came back for it and what cause it would be a major spoiler
  • DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    a Master to Missy regeneration scene

Myself, I'd rather there be the reverse...
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,326
    Forum Member
    I would absolutely love to see it, and given it is the most dramatic change we've ever seen happen with the master then I'd class such a scene as important to be seen.

When the 50th was happening Moffat said something about being a 'box set' man who liked to see all the regenerations which is why he finally sorted the Mcgann/ Eccleston gap by showing Mcgann to Hurt and then showing Hurt to (almost) Eccleston. I hope he sticks to that with the currently unseen Simm to Gomez regeneration and dosen't leave a 'regeneration gap' so to speak.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    Myself, I'd rather there be the reverse...

It did come as quite a shock when it was revealed that the Master was now a woman, I don't mind admitting! :o

I thought that the Master was always going to be played by a man, as the Doctor has been since the show's birth in 1963. It seems better that the Master is male and not female.

When I re-watched Dark Water/Death in Heaven on DVD a couple of weeks ago, I kept telling myself "No, it's The Rani. It can't be the Master."

So, it seems as though I'm set in my ways, that the Master has to be a man, having seen six other male actors play the character, most notably Roger Delgado, Anthony Ainley and John Simm.
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    ide rather the case was that the master stole a females body.
    just how many lives does he actually have ?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    ide rather the case was that the master stole a females body.
    just how many lives does he actually have ?!

At the moment, I would say seven.

1. Roger Delgado (1971-1973)
    2. Peter Pratt/Geoffrey Beevers (1976 & 1981, same incarnation)
    3. Anthony Ainley (1981-1989)
    4. Eric Roberts (1996)
    5. Derek Jacobi (2007)
    6. John Simm (2007-2010)
    7. Michelle Gomez (2014-present)

Hope this helps. :)
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they don't show the regeneration at some point then there will always be camps that deny that Missy is truly The Master.

Without the circumstances behind the regeneration its impossible to know the reason for the change. But her two hearts does make the possession of a female less likely IMO.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »

4. Eric Roberts (1996)
    5. Derek Jacobi (2007)
    6. John Simm (2007-2010)

Well... he had expended all his lives.... before he stole a body... may or may not have recieced a new regeneration cycle... was executed... stole another body.... killed.... ressurected... killed.... resurrected again as some supernatural undead skeletor man... then somehow regenerated again... so I would say...

"it's complicated" :p
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

4. Eric Roberts (1996)
    5. Derek Jacobi (2007)
    6. John Simm (2007-2010)

What about Jonathan Pryce in curse of the fatal death(1999)? Also Derek Jacobi played the master in 2003 in scream of the shalka.
  • Dr2PatDr2Pat Posts: 420
    Forum Member

4. Eric Roberts (1996)
    5. Derek Jacobi (2007)
    6. John Simm (2007-2010)

There's also the young Master (William Hughes) we see in flashbacks in The Sound of Drums/ Last of the Time Lords and The End of Time.
    I think most fans believe the Gordon Tipple version in the 1996 tv movie to be the same as Ainley's version, but I suppose there is the possibility he's a separate one.
    And, if we count Big Finish as canon, Alex MacQueen's version is between Robert's and Jacobi's. So there's been 9 or 10 depending on how you view the Tipple Version.
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the Peter Pratt/Geoffrey Beevers version the decayed remnants of the Delgado incarnation. I've not seen where that's been stated but it has been mentioned on here a few times.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could the meddling monk from the time meddler and the dalek masterplan be the master or was he just another time lord?
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could the meddling monk from the time meddler and the dalek masterplan be the master or was he just another time lord?

If you accept the the books/audio's as canon he's another Time Lord (Doc 8 meets him again in the audio's) but there's never been anything on TV that actually says he and the Master are not the same.

Same goes for the War Chief.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    If you accept the the books/audio's as canon he's another Time Lord (Doc 8 meets him again in the audio's) but there's never been anything on TV that actually says he and the Master are not the same.

Same goes for the War Chief.

What about the Master of Fiction in The Mind Robber? Was he the first Master by any chance? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr2Pat wrote: »
    There's also the young Master (William Hughes) we see in flashbacks in The Sound of Drums/ Last of the Time Lords and The End of Time.
    I think most fans believe the Gordon Tipple version in the 1996 tv movie to be the same as Ainley's version, but I suppose there is the possibility he's a separate one.
    And, if we count Big Finish as canon, Alex MacQueen's version is between Robert's and Jacobi's. So there's been 9 or 10 depending on how you view the Tipple Version.

I was just talking about the TV Masters. I don't class the Big Finish Masters as canon, unless someone like Eric Roberts was to reprise the role, then that one plus the story would be canon.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Palmerwho wrote: »
    If they don't show the regeneration at some point then there will always be camps that deny that Missy is truly The Master.

And yet I bet those people have no problem accepting that Jacobi was The Master. They'll use the lack of a regeneration scene to try and justify their issue with gender-changing Time Lords...why not be upfront about their clear prejudices?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be that big as I have my suspecions it will happen. Knowing if John Simm came back for it and what cause it would be a major spoiler

John Simm was excellent as The Master. Also a fan of his previous roles in "Human Traffic" and "Life on Mars".

The BBC may not be able to afford him now, which would be a shame, because he really played a good slightly insane "The Master" in my opinion.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And yet I bet those people have no problem accepting that Jacobi was The Master. They'll use the lack of a regeneration scene to try and justify their issue with gender-changing Time Lords...why not be upfront about their clear prejudices?

On the mark.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Simm was excellent as The Master. Also a fan of his previous roles in "Human Traffic" and "Life on Mars".

The BBC may not be able to afford him now, which would be a shame, because he really played a good slightly insane "The Master" in my opinion.

John Simm was also great in State of Play alongside David Morrissey. The Lakes was also enjoyable. Got both on DVD.
    Forum Member
    John Simm was also great in State of Play alongside David Morrissey. The Lakes was also enjoyable. Got both on DVD.

Haven't seen either unfortunately, but it would be nice if the BBC would reshow Life on Mars or rent it out to some other free to air channel like Dave.

Reminds me, I still haven't ordered that Human Traffic Blu Ray, its been on my wishlist for yonks! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't seen either unfortunately, but it would be nice if the BBC would reshow Life on Mars or rent it out to some other free to air channel like Dave.

Reminds me, I still haven't ordered that Human Traffic Blu Ray, its been on my wishlist for yonks! :)

I just looked on eBay, and the only Human Traffic Blu-Rays on there are from the US, Germany and France, so if you are prepared to pay £19 for it plus p&p, and get it shipped from overseas then go ahead. Otherwise, I'd look on amazon UK.

:)
    Forum Member
    I just looked on eBay, and the only Human Traffic Blu-Rays on there are from the US, Germany and France, so if you are prepared to pay £19 for it plus p&p, and get it shipped from overseas then go ahead. Otherwise, I'd look on amazon UK.

:)

i knew there was a reason, I think you can get the DVD a lot cheaper, probably find it at CEX or Cash Converters for 50p! :D

For fans of the film:

"Nice one bruvva!"
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

4. Eric Roberts (1996)
    5. Derek Jacobi (2007)
    6. John Simm (2007-2010)

According to the TARDISArchives channel on YouTube, The Master has had quite a few more "bodies" than that.

YouTube - TARDISArchives ... How many bodies has The Master had?
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,326
    Forum Member

I always got the impression that the jacobi master was supposed to be an aged version of whatever incarnation fled the time war (depending on whichever one the timelords ressurected) and as such simply looked different through aging than having had a regeneration.

I know he, as proffessor YANA, said something about being found as a child with the watch, but I just assumed that was his false memories talking, and he only had such a memory so that he would always keep the watch.

Either way, I agree with Palmerwho that some people who still don't think Missy should be the master will use any lack of a regeneration scene to claim otherwise, as people often try to when they don't want to accept something. I remember hearing on this forum before now that there were people who didn't want to accept new who as a continuation of classic who used the fact for years that we hadn't seen a Mcgann to Eccleston regeneration as proof that the new who doctors weren't 'Canon' despite the ridiculously overwhelming evidence otherwise.

For me personally, I can see that Gomez plays the Master in much the same style as Simm did so the character is right there shining through in her performance and I think she is great as the master from what we have seen so far, but I would like to see a regeneration scene partly to completely, without a doubt cement the fact of it, partly out of curiosity at the nature of the change and partly just because I'm the kind of person who likes to see every regeneration.

The master is the second most important timelord in the show. We wouldn't just be okay with it now if the doctor turned up with a different face and no explanation as to why so I don't see why the Master/missy should be any different.