24: Who could tell Nina Myers was "dirty"

lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,266
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I started watching 24 at Day 3 so I knew a little bit about Nina and how dangerous she was to begin with.

But she played Jack for the entire day even when the writers didn't play her as a mole I have been spotting the tell tale signs when watching Day 1 that she was a vicious and dangerous mole. The Keycard at the beginning for one, leaving Teri and Kim at the safehouse for them to be killed, just the facial expressions she gives when she's alone or knows she's not being watched.

I gotta admit, she put on a very good performance throughout the day and she had me fooled even though I knew she was ultimately a traitor. Who else knew she was dirty?

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's so long since I watched Day 1, I can't remember whether I had her pegged or not.

I'm sure though that I read somewhere that the writers never had her planned out to be the mole from the start, it was just a "twist" they came up with later on.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you should change the title not to give away a series 1 spoiler. I've seen it, but not everyone has and I hate it when people put spoilers in titles because it's so hard to avoid them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To answer the question, I didn't guess and I don't think it was guessable. The writers have admitted they didn't decide Nina was evil until about half-way through. The weird stuff at the hospital was the first sign, and that was very unclear, so leaving Teri and Kim at the safehouse was the only real clue.

The keycard thing was explained as Jamie. In a way, Jamie's death could have been a clue, but it's actually quite hard to see how Nina did it because there wasn't enough time. Also, it seemed like a bit of a risk for her. For me one of the worst flaws in 24 was that we were told Jamie's room had no cameras, and then at the end Jack gets camera footage from the room. It was a flat-out contradiction, done to retro-fit Nina being a mole back into the morning part of the show which were written and shot before that decision had been made.

I rarely like 24 finales, and Nina being the mole was one of the worst.
  • jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had no idea! i was watching it in the bath on dvd for the first time a few years ago.. and then she started talking in a different language on the phone and i was like 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :O
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,653
    Forum Member
    I didnt think it for one second. I have predicted many but not this one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To answer the question in a different way , I bet she was "dirty" in other ways too and that's what snared Jack:D;)
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did NOT know right up until the point where it's revealed. It shocked me to the core! It's obviously not as shocking as a few things that happened in seasons 3 and 5 but at the time it was amazing. The endless mole stuff they did subsequent to that was never as good because it felt like 'been there done that, a mole in CTU who woulda thunk'.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    It's so long since I watched Day 1, I can't remember whether I had her pegged or not.

I'm sure though that I read somewhere that the writers never had her planned out to be the mole from the start, it was just a "twist" they came up with later on.

Yea I read that too, I read an interview with Sarah Clarke that told us all about it. But even so, there's something about Nina throughout the whole day that just makes me think... "She's playing you, Jack", She's sinister.
  • Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was on Tony Almeida's case and never even considered Nina as being a baddie.

Tony ticked all the boxes, especially the dodgy faicial hair. :D
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha Tony did look and act dodgy in early series 1 :)
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »

Ultimately I think it was that very fact that not only made the season but made the show as a whole. Due to not not knowing themselves they were forced to shoot everyone as if they were the mole and all of them had actions and facial expressions that made them look guilty.

All too often with these kind of mystery elements while they will try and make you believe its one person they just end up being way too obvious about it by treating everyone else's suspicious elements as red herrings and not as if they really are the one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only watched it this year and I wouldn't have had a clue if I hadn't gone and spoilt it for myself by reading what happened on wikipedia. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    I think you should change the title not to give away a series 1 spoiler. I've seen it, but not everyone has and I hate it when people put spoilers in titles because it's so hard to avoid them.

Not really a spoiler though, is it? It's been seven years since this was first broadcast!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    I was completely taken by surprise about her. I thought it was a fantastic twist. That first season and the developments that followed from it made 24 unforgettable.
  • Chocolate MonkeChocolate Monke Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember suspecting her, if only because I was looking for the person who wasn't 'obvious'. If I remember correctly, Nina was suspected to be untrustworthy at the start, this was dealt with and then Jack trusted her (I might be wrong). I'm always suspicious of the people the main character trusts the most. She was one of the only ones who the writers didn't give us nagging doubts about (perhaps because they didn't intend it to be her anyway).

But, despite thinking it might be her, it was a suspicion I talked myself out of nearly every week, so was still pretty surprised when it really was her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in two minds between Nina & Tony but citing the dictum of Sherlock Holmes ' If you eliminate the impossible - whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth.' Tony was too obvious & Nina had been involved with Jack & essentially hiding in plain sight.

That said I really did feel the writers were hedging their bets & shoe horned Nina in at the last minute.

Pity they killed her off she was a great baddie.
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a while back now but I remember being so shocked. She was my favourite character in the show when I thought she was a goodie, she was so likeable. and they were building up a bit of a romance between her and Tony by those last few episodes too.

I think the actress is great, and a brill baddie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    I found out from a friend before I watched any 24, slightly gutted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really a spoiler though, is it? It's been seven years since this was first broadcast!
    We get comments in other 24 threads from people watching for the first time. I wouldn't be bothered if it had been in the body of the thread, but I hate spoilers in titles.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never had a clue until the final seconds of Episode 23, when she talked all foreign on the phone.

One of the greatest TV baddies ever IMHO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    We get comments in other 24 threads from people watching for the first time. I wouldn't be bothered if it had been in the body of the thread, but I hate spoilers in titles.

I know what you mean, but sometimes it's difficult to talk in abstracts in the thread title. I really dislike spoilers in thread titles too, but surely there's got to be a limit on what is counted as a spoiler.

Example: I hadn't seen Psycho until a couple of years ago. Fortunately, I didn't know the end. But I don't think I could have been too upset about spoilers had I gone into the Movies forum and seen a thread title about it.
  • JonJonBJonJonB Posts: 2,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely irrelevent to anyone who hasn't yet seen it, it's still a spoiler.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonJonB wrote: »
    Completely irrelevent to anyone who hasn't yet seen it, it's still a spoiler.

But look at the title in the thread. Past tense. We're talking about a show that has been on the air for the past 7 years, not in the future. Not something that nobody has seen. I got the rough end of the deal here when I watched Day 3 so I already got a rough idea of what had happened before I even saw Day 1, so... honestly... i spoiled nothing!
  • JonJonBJonJonB Posts: 2,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But how long ago it was made/aired is not relevant. I've never read War and Peace, so someone who has could easily spoil an important plot development for me, and that was written a little more than 7 years ago. I think in this case it's one of the more well-known twists in Cult-TV land, so it's not that big a deal, but still a spoiler by definition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I would be far more upset if someone spoiled an episode of Series 8 which is yet to air. I have read groups where episodes have been discussed US paced but not yet aired in UK. Yes I was gutted but it's hardly their fault. Spoilers are a hazard but this story is old news now as you said, so the title was open and relevant to the thread.