Game of Thrones (Season Two)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mindset wrote: »
    I thought Sansa was relentlessly unsympathetic throughout Season 1. I saw nothing about her that I could like, indeed I wished to see her head on a spike next to her father's. She was the antithesis of her lineage. The Starks were portrayed as salt of the earth, feet on the ground Northerners. Traditional, loyal and reluctant to change (stereotype much?). Sansa on the other hand was portrayed as if she was a Lannister in all but name. All she seemed to want was a fluffy pink life as Queen-Consort, lots of jewels and pretty dresses and fawning servants.

Unless she is shown to grow up very quickly, very soon.....I for one, will continue to wish for her bloody demise.

Christ, it's like being back on the GoT imdb boards.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All she seemed to want was a fluffy pink life as Queen-Consort, lots of jewels and pretty dresses and fawning servants.
    She was bred to be a princess, to be married off to seal a political treaty. It's good that she can be happy in that role. I've not seen the show, but from the books I don't recall her being stupid, just young, insular, and not so interested in the tom-boy stuff. She has as much potential as any of the Stark children.
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yobaba** wrote: »
    I don't think Sansa is unsympathetic. We are sort of meant to like her and hate her at the same time, that's why I thought she's difficult to play. I do agree that all the child actors are really great overall though.

I can't see how we're meant to like her and hate her - what is it we're supposed to like? She's a rude, petulant, talentless gutless coward without the slightest hint of a backbone. There isn't a single positive personality trait. The nicest thing I can say about Sansa is that she looks lovely. I hope that changes this season.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    I haven't read the books so don't know about the character there, but to me she seems to be grown up from the fairy tail queen wannabe and I think she has a Stark in her. She seems to be waiting for an opportunity, she knows her position and that there's not much she can do at the time. She does not want to obey Joffery, but she cannot oppose him either, so she tries it her way to make even small changes for now and buy some time so she'll get her chance in the future.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is this US Pace then? :confused:

Dany looking as fit as ever :cool::cool:

That was one of the best hour's of tv i have seen in a long time. Sets everything up perfectly for the season ahead.

It was more or less agreed that as Season 2 is being shown over here only one day later than the US premiere it wasn't really worth it having seperate US and UK Pace threads
  • mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yobaba** wrote: »
    I don't think Sansa is anything like a Lannister. She is not a schemer, she just has ridiculous fairytale ideas about Queens and romance. She starts out trusting the Lannisters and blinds herself to their faults but is an innocent really, and not a tom-boy like Arya. She has bad aspects like most of the characters. But this is is the way she is brought up and bred to be a Southern Wife.
    brangdon wrote: »
    She was bred to be a princess, to be married off to seal a political treaty. It's good that she can be happy in that role. I've not seen the show, but from the books I don't recall her being stupid, just young, insular, and not so interested in the tom-boy stuff. She has as much potential as any of the Stark children.

Sansa is far too vacuous to be a schemer. I thought she was very like a Lannister, in that she was ultra-materialistic. And she cannot both "blind herself to" Joffrey's "faults" and still remain "an innocent really". You can claim her wilful ignorance as the act of a dutiful daughter, I choose to see it as a refusal to see the world as it is and grow up; like father like daughter in that respect.

Psychosis wrote: »
    I can't see how we're meant to like her and hate her - what is it we're supposed to like? She's a rude, petulant, talentless gutless coward without the slightest hint of a backbone. There isn't a single positive personality trait. The nicest thing I can say about Sansa is that she looks lovely. I hope that changes this season.

And I thought I didn't like her very much! LOL
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sansa is far too vacuous to be a schemer. I thought she was very like a Lannister, in that she was ultra-materialistic. And she cannot both "blind herself to" Joffrey's "faults" and still remain "an innocent really". You can claim her wilful ignorance as the act of a dutiful daughter, I choose to see it as a refusal to see the world as it is and grow up; like father like daughter in that respect.

Sansa is a pawn, and is playing the role which is expected of her ie. to be a good wife to Joffrey.

I don't think she is materialistic, its the romance side of things that appeals to her. One thing which the series omits is her love of songs and romance stories. And while I agree she is immature, she is also very young. Only thirteen in the books. I think she grows up a lot throughout the first season and starts to see the world as it really is. By the end all her dreams are crushed but she is trapped and powerless to act.
  • *Elle*90*Elle*90 Posts: 3,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are there two season two threads anyway(non spoiler threads)? They should be merged. Did anyone else love Jaime Lannister? Am I the only Jaime fan in here? He was hilarious last night, he was great in the finale last year too(his scene with Cat I loved) and he was great with Robb in the opener. I love his wit, you can tell and he a Tyrion are alike in this way. On the subject of Lannisters - Tyrion and Cersei work well together.

Joffrey is fantastic. Awful, but the actor just owns it. I really liked Davos, I've been looking so forward to Stannis, I did enjoy his dictating of the letter, but I don't feel we've seen the best of him yet acting wise.

Robb and Catelyn have really good chemistry - in a non weird way - they just work so well together. I loved the continued mocking of Jon Snow's prettiness, his fabulous hair. It's not something that's ever brought up the books, but I like how they incorporate it into the show due to Kit Harrington's looks.

So I enjoyed mostly everything, had a much quicker pace but I expected that. It does feel like we have less time to spend with every character than last year - but that's because we do. But not every character was in every episode last year either so I know it's how this show works, I expect it. I did miss Arya but I'm sure they'll make up for it in later weeks. I did think the cuting to Arya and Gendry was a good way to end the episode though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really liked Jamie last night, he is one of the best characters in the show. Even tied to a stake and completely beaten he can still somehow make Robb feel like he is less of a man (which he is I suppose)
  • tauran_shammytauran_shammy Posts: 5,847
    Forum Member

She was a young girl with her head in the clouds, not any more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Have HBO announced anything yet concerning season 3 ?

Hope so, because i simply can't remember any television that has had me gripped as much as this.
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    The actor who plays Joffrey is outstanding, completely believable. Agree with the general comments about Jaime, I also think Tyrion is quite funny in a way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Sansa was the hero tonight. ;)
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandblast wrote: »
    Have HBO announced anything yet concerning season 3 ?

Hope so, because i simply can't remember any television that has had me gripped as much as this.

The wiki page said season 3 and 4 were to be filmed concurrently starting June 2012. This was removed as there was no source - but instead the wishes of the EP.

I think we can assume we will get them, just a matter of when HBO says... considering Seasons One and Two... it will probably be renewed tommorow :p

Meanwhile on the DS review..
    Game of Thrones return didn't just live up to the hype, it far exceeded it.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As you can probably tell, The Wire is my #1 favourite show, but I think it's just been usurped by Game of Thrones. GoT is probably the best tv series i've seen since The Wire.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Why is episode 2 on the web already ?
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »

webrip. I don't know the finer details, i would think it would be like R5 films that used to appear on the net before they we're in cinemas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If Sansa lived today, she'd be a footballers wife :P

She does
    get more sympathetic in the books though, albiet in a how can so much shit happen to one person sort of way
  • mary03mary03 Posts: 6,281
    Forum Member
    Wow.......loads of opinions set already.

Whom we like, hate etc.

I guess RR Martin would be proud of us all.

Because that's what he set out to do.

To have us love and hate our characters; change our minds; backtrack; betray...and then find loyalty again somewhere in our own blackened hearts.

He's master of his own storytelling here.......and it's already showing in only series two how that's already evolving.

I love this series. Adored reading all five books. Absolutely loved the first mini-series production................and thoroughly looking forward to the second series.

My favourite character without a doubt is the dwarf.....alla Drinklage. He never dissapoints. And the fact that he's a little bastard and admits it so, then he calls a spade a spade........definitely my fave out of them all. ;)
  • mary03mary03 Posts: 6,281
    Forum Member
    Wow.......loads of opinions set already.

Whom we like, hate etc.

I guess RR Martin would be proud of us all.

Because that's what he set out to do.

To have us love and hate our characters; change our minds; backtrack; betray...and then find loyalty again somewhere in our own blackened hearts.

He's master of his own storytelling here.......and it's already showing in only series two how that's already evolving.

I love this series. Adored reading all five books. Absolutely loved the first mini-series production................and thoroughly looking forward to the second series.

My favourite character without a doubt is the dwarf.....alla Drinklage. He never dissapoints. And the fact that he's a little bastard and admits it so... that he calls a spade a spade........definitely my fave out of them all. ;)
  • Debs79hDebs79h Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed that episode and can hardly wait for next week now - Its made me want to read the books all over again after watching all of the first season last week.

I'm pleased the wolves seem to be the correct size, now they look like they could rip out throats. Great acting all round when do they repeat it on Atlantic I may just have to watch it again :D
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to agree with most of what's been said so far, excellent start to Series 2. My hat is raised to the young actor who plays Joffrey, for a lad so young he can certainly portray menace. Can't wait for Episode 2 !!
  • J-JJ-J Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good episode, always difficult to recap what has been happening and where every one is at but a job done, pity it couldnt have been a double episode so we could have all been moved on a lot more! :D
  • StormageddonStormageddon Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Hi ! I'm new here. Couldn't resist reading what everyone is saying about Game Of Thrones. Getting great reviews on all the sites.
    Loved the first season. Just had a very rewarding re-watch. Gets better with each viewing.
    Absolutely cracking start to season two last night. Loads of meaty story lines to become engrossed with.
    Just started reading the first book. It's such a compelling read.
    Really cant wait for next Monday's episode.
    Just great to have this classy and impressive show back again.
    And love hating Joffrey !
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »

Not sure what you're asking here? Why is it on the web already, probably because it aired in the US on April 1st so has already been uploaded?