Strange Sticky Substance on side of TV?!

AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all.

I have an LG 47LH5000 which is nigh on 2 and a lil bit years old and noticed a sticky substance on the side of the screen. On closer inspection it seems the sticky substance is from the side of the TV, almost foam like. Now the particular area of the TV gets incredibly hot, just a small patch, when compared to the rest of the screen

The TV also seems to have developed a half moon crescent shape on the background. Not sure if it's related.

I'm not sure whether it's a dead case or whether to call in General and Electric to have a look, not entirely techy on the TV front so any advice/thought appreciated

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    LG have had BIG problems with some of their 42 inch LCD sets, where internal capacitors go leaky and get VERY, VERY hot - this could be a similar problem?.

In the cases I've been involved in the retailer refunded the customers money (even though the sets were over 12 months old), and left the sets with them - which was how I came to be disassembling LG panels to see what had happened.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LG have had BIG problems with some of their 42 inch LCD sets, where internal capacitors go leaky and get VERY, VERY hot - this could be a similar problem?.

In the cases I've been involved in the retailer refunded the customers money (even though the sets were over 12 months old), and left the sets with them - which was how I came to be disassembling LG panels to see what had happened.

Thanks Nigel, I rang D&G and they reckon the leakage is toxic so are sending someone first thing tomorrow. Probably overeacting slightly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You were spot on. TV has been written off.

Replacing it with a 3D Smart TV, which is an upgrade and a half considering I got this one in a sale!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    You were spot on. TV has been written off.

Replacing it with a 3D Smart TV, which is an upgrade and a half considering I got this one in a sale!

Nice....would be good to know which model you got :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice....would be good to know which model you got :)

From LH5000 that I paid £699 for in a sale from Currys, I've been given an LG47LM86OV which is a slimline 3D Smart TV which RRP's at £1500 but its about £1200 in John Lewis.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From LH5000 that I paid £699 for in a sale from Currys, I've been given an LG47LM86OV which is a slimline 3D Smart TV which RRP's at £1500 but its about £1200 in John Lewis.

just had a quick look on the LG site at your new TV and it's nice. Welcome to the world of 3D. I hope you enjoy it :)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member

Nice result :D