What should be the Minimum and maximum power state on windows 7?

xmel05xmel05 Posts: 8,079
Forum Member
on Balanced which is the power plan I always use has the minimum as 0% and maximum as 100%.

Plus my hard drive is always spinning which makes noise, does it always need to spin?

Comments

• goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The constant hard disk drive spinning will probably be down to the usage of the Windows page file because of how much memory is being used. Perhaps adding some extra RAM to your computer may reduce the amount of hard disk drive spinning you can hear.
  • alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    The min and max is the cpu i keep it as default 5-100, The Hard drive can be set to turn off after 30/1 hr in the options you don't want it it turning on and off every 10min it just adds to the wear rate and slows the computer down waiting for the drive to spin back up.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I like to customise everything to run at maximum efficiency and this involves research and experimentation, or in other words a lot of tinkering around to take into account the ever changing system parameters.

Microsoft know that the majority of users will never want to experiment so they set up a balanced plan which is a 'one size fits all' approach. But of course every system is different. When I originally bought my laptop I knew it could easily handle the High Performance plan and I stuck with that for a while, but then, as I gained an understanding of the system I realised it would work better with a few tweaks so I now have my own plan.

At the moment my max processor state is 100% and min is 70% for plugged in with 88% max 25% min on battery, but I've customised many of the other settings as well. Most of the time my hard disk does not spin and is set to turn off after 14 mins plugged in with 5 mins on battery.

As the system has aged my settings have changed to work with this so as not to stress the components and to increase working life.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xmel05 wrote: »
    on Balanced which is the power plan I always use has the minimum as 0% and maximum as 100%.

Plus my hard drive is always spinning which makes noise, does it always need to spin?

I'd say that it would take longer to do things on the computer/laptop if the hard drive stopped after every task was performed. I'd rather have it spinning all the time. I'm guessing you don't have your laptop plugged into the mains all the time then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    I like to customise everything to run at maximum efficiency and this involves research and experimentation, or in other words a lot of tinkering around to take into account the ever changing system parameters.

Microsoft know that the majority of users will never want to experiment so they set up a balanced plan which is a 'one size fits all' approach. But of course every system is different. When I originally bought my laptop I knew it could easily handle the High Performance plan and I stuck with that for a while, but then, as I gained an understanding of the system I realised it would work better with a few tweaks so I now have my own plan.

At the moment my max processor state is 100% and min is 70% for plugged in with 88% max 25% min on battery, but I've customised many of the other settings as well. Most of the time my hard disk does not spin and is set to turn off after 14 mins plugged in with 5 mins on battery.

As the system has aged my settings have changed to work with this so as not to stress the components and to increase working life.

Because my laptop's constantly plugged into the mains, I just shove all power settings to on all the time/performance.
  • goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Because my laptop's constantly plugged into the mains, I just shove all power settings to on all the time/performance.
    Do you have the battery still inside the laptop, or did you remove it? It's just that the laptop I am using right now to type this message, it is always plugged into the mains and always has been ever since I got the laptop, and the battery has never, ever even been inserted into the laptop at all.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

I'm curious why the minimum is 70% on mains?
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    I'm curious why the minimum is 70% on mains?

It's the bloody right click delay that's been frustrating me for about 2 years now. I was using Quiet HDD to stop the Scorpio Blue parking the heads but the delay was still evident, so I was wondering whether the min processor state had anything to do with it. (I have the Link State Power Management set to Off.)

We're not talking a lot of time on the delay, only 2 seconds or so, but I don't want it. Sometimes, like now, the delay is minimal but there doesn't seem to be any pattern that I can find. 70% was preceded by 65% and 60% as I try to balance the fan speed as well. Launching programs is affected at times.

The r click delay is a known problem with no permanent fix that anyone's come up with. Gives me something to worry about anyway! Having written this it's given me another idea. Perhaps it depends which processor or how many (of the 8) processors are activated when the command is made. Or is there a built-in wait state? Well you did ask why so I felt it was only fair to explain!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have the battery still inside the laptop, or did you remove it? It's just that the laptop I am using right now to type this message, it is always plugged into the mains and always has been ever since I got the laptop, and the battery has never, ever even been inserted into the laptop at all.

The battery's in the laptop, yes. There might be a time when I need to unplug it and switch to battery power, but I mostly just use the mains. I leave the laptop battery in because obviously this means that I can walk into the kitchen with it without the laptop just losing power instantly.....obviously.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    It's the bloody right click delay that's been frustrating me for about 2 years now. I was using Quiet HDD to stop the Scorpio Blue parking the heads but the delay was still evident, so I was wondering whether the min processor state had anything to do with it. (I have the Link State Power Management set to Off.)

We're not talking a lot of time on the delay, only 2 seconds or so, but I don't want it. Sometimes, like now, the delay is minimal but there doesn't seem to be any pattern that I can find. 70% was preceded by 65% and 60% as I try to balance the fan speed as well. Launching programs is affected at times.

The r click delay is a known problem with no permanent fix that anyone's come up with. Gives me something to worry about anyway! Having written this it's given me another idea. Perhaps it depends which processor or how many (of the 8) processors are activated when the command is made. Or is there a built-in wait state? Well you did ask why so I felt it was only fair to explain!
    given the speed with which the clock can be increased it doesn't seem likely candidate to me.

but who knows.