I will be getting two Wifi Routers soon - How can I Link them up?

I will be getting two Routers one for upstairs to link the Wireless Printer and the Computer together and another one downstairs for the Tivo box(s)
how do I go about them connecting together so that they can talk to each other,
I have seen this happening in my college, but I do not know how to do it or how I could go about doing it,
do they both need to share the same SSID Name and Password, how do I go about Linking them?

Thanks for your help in advance

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not ask your college:confused:
  • dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    Essentially, you need to put the one that is not connected to your modem into bridge mode and run an ethernet cable between them. I'm assuming you are wanting internet access, if not then they both need to be in bridge mode and are really just acting as switches with wireless access points rather than full-on routers.

I can't be more specific without knowing exactly what you want to achieve and wether you want the connected devices to also be sharing an internet connection.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    Why not ask your college:confused:

I have asked at my college and they did not reply
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    dodgygeeza wrote: »
    Essentially, you need to put the one that is not connected to your modem into bridge mode and run an ethernet cable between them. I'm assuming you are wanting internet access, if not then they both need to be in bridge mode and are really just acting as switches with wireless access points rather than full-on routers.

I can't be more specific without knowing exactly what you want to achieve and wether you want the connected devices to also be sharing an internet connection.

Yes, I do need Internet access for the one upstairs as it is also feeding my Wireless (Wifi) Laptop or is it possible for the downstairs Router to supply my Laptop
    with Internet access instead and put the upstairs Router in Bridge mode as I will be putting an Ethernet cable between the Computer and the Router
    and I will not need the Internet access upstairs just the use of the Printer Functions though, like printing from the Laptop downstairs to the Printer upstairs for example?

I do not need the connected devices to share the Internet, also with the downstairs Router I will be connecting it to the Virgin Tivo box via Ethernet cable
    so I can stream from the Virgin Tivo box in one room to the other Virgin Tivo box in another room when this becomes live

Also how can I put an Ethernet cable between them if one is upstairs and the other one is downstairs?

I forgot about the Bridge Mode, thanks for reminding me

Thanks