S8 or Dr Who the movie ? (spec)

Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Few years back there was a rumor they wanted to do a feature film. Now we have Star Wars sold to Disney and a Episode 7 scheduled for 2015. Just long enough a gap after next years 50th anniversary.Meaning if they did do a movie it would be competing with another big sci fi franchise. Imagine a summer or christmas release date would be popular. So there are questions.

1 Would a feature film be a good idea ? :):confused::cry:

2 If Matt Smith is not in it who should play the 12th doctor?

3 Finally who would make a good companion ?

Any commentts,ideas or theories wellcome.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I somehow doubt that Doctor Who could compete with Star Wars...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why not?:mad::mad:;););):D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Series 8...
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I completely agree with you that Star Wars and Dr Who could never compete.

There's been 6 Star wars - of which 3 have been terrible and 1 okay ish.. 2 brillant.

Doctor Who - well about a 1000 episodes... and about a third brilliant.. lets say 300 for arguments sake...

So your correct Star Wars and Dr Who in no way compare for quality. In fact it's a shame that lucas borrowed some ideas after watching Genesis of the Daleks being filmed !!
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sick of everything being turned into a movie.

Series 8 please.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allen_who wrote: »
    I completely agree with you that Star Wars and Dr Who could never compete.

There's been 6 Star wars - of which 3 have been terrible and 1 okay ish.. 2 brillant.

Doctor Who - well about a 1000 episodes... and about a third brilliant.. lets say 300 for arguments sake...

So your correct Star Wars and Dr Who in no way compare for quality. In fact it's a shame that lucas borrowed some ideas after watching Genesis of the Daleks being filmed !!

Haha, very well put! :D Although I quite liked Revenge of the Sith, and Return of the Jedi would have been great if it wasn't for Ewoks and Death Star 2.0...
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the latest series they have been using movie themes/titles so
    could that be a build up to a movie or will it go back to basics.:confused: The Doctor with a companion and a camcorder.:D
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought S8 was confirmed. Anyway it should be kept to TV, and under no circumstances 2015 if a film has to be made, Avengers 2, Justice League and Star Wars VII are already confirmed as it is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not a fact that episodes 1-3 of Star Wars sucked. My 8 year old nephew (the target audience) loves them!

But Doctor Who the Movie? Hmm. Nah. Doctor Who - for me - is about a continuing story, not a one-off. It's too 'big' for that.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Series 8 will happen.

A movie, I don't think will and if so, should involve current cast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt mentioned on the Steve Wright show last week that he's just read Ep 1 of the next season.

It's got to be remembered how much the original Star Wars made the TV networks invest in Sci-fi. We had Battlestar Galactica commissioned to emulate Star Wars at $1 million dollars per episode. There was even talk and scripts for Star Trek to return at that time also.

Hopefully a strong return of the force will breath life into the genre again with more innovative sci-fi projects and more investment into DW on television so that we can continue to compete with any advances in effects and production values the American shows make.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HandsomeBB wrote: »
    Matt mentioned on the Steve Wright show last week that he's just read Ep 1 of the next season.

Did he call it Series 8 though? I would have thought the next script(s) they would be working on (after they finish the remaining Series 7 ones) would be the Anniversary Special(s)
  • GrafelfingGrafelfing Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    A movie would use up at least a whole series' budget and filming time to produce a couple of hours.

I know which I'd rather have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Did he call it Series 8 though? I would have thought the next script(s) they would be working on (after they finish the remaining Series 7 ones) would be the Anniversary Special(s)

I was listening out for that as well. He said, "I've just read episode 1 of the next season."
    Just gone back to check the wording on the anniversary. (1h 41m) Nothing conclusive other than the start date.

Steve: "So you're going to be The Doctor for a little while longer ??"

Matt: "Yeah, absolutely. I'm into the 50th anniversary next year, we start that in. I dunno, April, May or something."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ng29j
    (1h 36m - 1h 51m)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HandsomeBB wrote: »
    I was listening out for that as well. He said, "I've just read episode 1 of the next season."
    Just gone back to check the wording on the anniversary. (1h 41m) Nothing conclusive other than the start date.

Steve: "So you're going to be The Doctor for a little while longer ??"

Matt: "Yeah, absolutely. I'm into the 50th anniversary next year, we start that in. I dunno, April, May or something."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ng29j
    (1h 36m - 1h 51m)

I was pretty sure I heard that too
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    Not heard the interview myself. I'd have assumed he was referring to episode 1 of season 7.2?
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, very well put! :D Although I quite liked Revenge of the Sith, and Return of the Jedi would have been great if it wasn't for Ewoks and Death Star 2.0...

Think of Episodes 1+2 and the Clone Wars CGI as a trilogy, and Ewoks:Caravan Of Courage, Ewoks:Battle For Endor and Return Of The Jedi as a trilogy ....

... now take them away and just look at the middle three .... Revenge Of The Sith, A New Hope, The Empire Strikes back ....

.... It's much more satisfying if you just watch those three .... a touching tale about a brave Sith lord who overcomes the handicap of having his legs burnt off, kills Obi Wan Kenobi, smacks Luke Skywalker and lets Boba Fett sell Han Solo to Jabba The Hut. .... Beautiful :)
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Shoppy wrote: »
    Think of Episodes 1+2 and the Clone Wars CGI as a trilogy, and Ewoks:Caravan Of Courage, Ewoks:Battle For Endor and Return Of The Jedi as a trilogy ....

... now take them away and just look at the middle three .... Revenge Of The Sith, A New Hope, The Empire Strikes back ....

.... It's much more satisfying if you just watch those three .... a touching tale about a brave Sith lord who overcomes the handicap of having his legs burnt off, kills Obi Wan Kenobi, smacks Luke Skywalker and lets Boba Fett sell Han Solo to Jabba The Hut. .... Beautiful :)

Haha! Wonderful... Have you been taking lessons from Dr Sheldon Cooper? :D:p;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shoppy wrote: »

That is just brilliant! :D
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, back on track....
    1 Would a feature film be a good idea ? :):confused::cry:
    Only if the series went on haiatus for some other reason other than just to accomodate the film, making it our only option at the time for more Who.
    2 If Matt Smith is not in it who should play the 12th doctor?
    Depends what kind of Doctor you want to go for, but I reckon if you wanted a good balance between the new series and classic series characters, you couldn't go wrong with Colin Firth in a movie. ...... Though on TV, my choice for 12th Doctor would still be Damien Moloney.

3 Finally who would make a good companion ?
    Having just watched Iron Sky i reckon Julia Deitzche would be cool ;)
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sohoguy wrote: »
    It's not a fact that episodes 1-3 of Star Wars sucked. My 8 year old nephew (the target audience) loves them!

But Doctor Who the Movie? Hmm. Nah. Doctor Who - for me - is about a continuing story, not a one-off. It's too 'big' for that.

Sorry, but, your nephew notwithstanding, they sucked horribly.

There have already been one or two (non-canonical) Doctor Who movies, yes?