Only Connect (BBC4)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
Forum Member
University Challenge and Mastermind stand accused of 'dumbing down' over the past few series, but this new BBC4 quiz is flying the flag for boffin quotient quiz shows.

Vicki Coren presents and there are two teams of three battling it out for the prize. They have to make lateral connections between seemingly unconnected people, words, pieces of music etc. Sounds dull??? Not a bit of it.

Stumbled upon it accidentally, but will be back for more next Tues. What a treat!

oops...just realised a thread on this one was 'on the go' last night, but what the hey...

Comments

• davadsdavads Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Are the contestants members of the public, or celebrities like on that earlier BBC4 show Mind Games?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    darzog wrote: »
    University Challenge and Mastermind stand accused of 'dumbing down' over the past few series, but this new BBC4 quiz is flying the flag for boffin quotient quiz shows.

Vicki Coren presents and there are two teams of three battling it out for the prize. They have to make lateral connections between seemingly unconnected people, words, pieces of music etc. Sounds dull??? Not a bit of it.

Stumbled upon it accidentally, but will be back for more next Tues. What a treat!

oops...just realised a thread on this one was 'on the go' last night, but what the hey...

You sound like you're advertising the show.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't see this (forgot) but anything with Ms Coren gets my vote.
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    I Love quiz shows but found this serviously dull!!
    The format definitely needs some work!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Beer wrote: »
    You sound like you're advertising the show.

I know!!! I read that back and it sounded like a free advert for the show, but I can assure you as an independent librarian from Northern ireland, I just love my 'high end' quiz shows, and am very happily unaffiliated.
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Just watched this. I liked it! It's like a very highbrow version of Sue Robbie's Connections - though I'm not sure all the Greek letters add much...

I recognised Jack Waley-Cohen, the team captain of the Lapsed Psychologists, from a Challenge TV series of a few years ago, Totally Top Trumps, where he was a kind of "Statto" figure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the concept sounds the same as something on another quiz game show, but I can't remember which one. Sounds good though. I don't really watch BBC4 but wouldn't mind an interesting day time quiz show.
  • davidboddavidbod Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    For those of you who missed it, it's on iPlayer here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00djm6n/
  • BandolaBandola Posts: 1,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, I'm thick! I couldn't answer any of those. :D

I just watched tonights quiz. I like the fact there's no audience, gives more of a late night relaxed feel.
    This show is like the einstein version of ask the family or krypton factor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's good fun - I stumbled upon when it started a few weeks ago. Being wittily and sternly presented by La Coren doesn't hurt either.
    Exciting tie-break finish tonight too! Don't want to spoil the climactic denouement for anyone watching a later showing, hence the spoiler ...
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Questions were very engaging. Although, they risk alienating much of their audience with unattractive nerdy contestants seemingly picked for they obvious gawkiness and the use of superfluous Greek letters etc.

I can see it getting a "zero" ratings recorded.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darzog wrote: »

I found myself to be rather good at this. Mind you it would probably be a different matter in front of the cameras.:D
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    It was fun, if not a bit geeky. I liked The Book Quiz
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I don't mind these basic format studio programs. There's no need for dramatic lighting or music.

I've enjoyed this current series. I also remember Mind Games and Never Mind The Fullstops.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, surprisingly, that was quite good. I felt quite proud of myself for getting one or two right!

K
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As (almost) impossibly difficult as it is, I do actually like this. It's not like anything I've ever seen before, it's good to see a fresh and entertaining game show on. It's the complete opposite of that 'minor celebrities that nobody has heard of since 1998 fall about a bit and get covered in gunge' thing running on BBC1 on Saturdays.
  • davidboddavidbod Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    alternate wrote: »
    Questions were very engaging. Although, they risk alienating much of their audience with unattractive nerdy contestants seemingly picked for they obvious gawkiness and the use of superfluous Greek letters etc.

I can see it getting a "zero" ratings recorded.

Sorry to disappoint you, but we've been getting excellent ratings and the third episode was the highest rated show on BBC Four that night.

David
    (Question setter)
  • londiniuslondinius Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Mr. B.
    I just wanted to say how much I've been enjoing this series. I think you've done a terrific job setting the questions, challenging and yet so varied. Here's hoping it will get its chance on terrestrial TV - its worth it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely agree with Londinius - it's great to have another good quiz with interesting questions.

Any news on a possible second series - I was going to apply for this series but didn't get round to it, I'd love to have a go at it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, a double bill of this followed by QI - lovely!

K
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Victoria Co is a bit like Claudia Winkleman smart and tends to go off in odd directions when talking on a subject
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    It's top telly. For some reason it brought back memories of Ask The Family.
    Forum Member
    davidbod wrote: »
    Sorry to disappoint you, but we've been getting excellent ratings and the third episode was the highest rated show on BBC Four that night.

David
    (Question setter)

I said I found it engaging so does not disappoint me. Stating that I believe a show will not do well does not mean I want it to flop.

A "zero" rating is under 60,000 viewers I believe and is what much of BBC4 gets. Care to post your figures?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Final numbers from BARB:

for w/e Oct 5th: 285K
    for w/e Sep 28th: 256K

K
    Forum Member
    For BBC4 they are good. Congrats, glad I was wrong.
This discussion has been closed.