Christmas 2013 - Director Confirmed

Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
Forum Member
It's Jamie Payne, who directed by Hide ....

https://plus.google.com/117071068228531883043/posts

Comments

• Chris_WaltonChris_Walton Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Interesting. I was kinda hoping that Toby Haynes would be drafted back in to do this one, but Jamie Payne did an awesome job on Hide so it's all good
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only hope that Jamie Payne can do a better job at the Christmas special than Hide. Which was imo meh.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he did a good job at setting the mood in Hide. The final third was very well directed - even if the closure of the script left something to be desired.
  • ryanellisryanellis Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    Not Peter Jackson? :'(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ryanellis wrote: »
    Not Peter Jackson? :'(

If they're going to get Jackson just once - probably not a Christmas special.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    If they're going to get Jackson just once - probably not a Christmas special.

I'm also waiting for a Steven Spielberg directed episode. :)
  • scumcatscumcat Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Airborae wrote: »
    I can only hope that Jamie Payne can do a better job at the Christmas special than Hide. Which was imo meh.

Me too
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I was hoping for Saul Metzstein myself.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does the director tell actors/actresses where to stand?:D
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »

Same here.

His direction has been fantastic.

Big fan of Nick Hurran too.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't Hide the one with Jessica Raine from Call The Midwife? :confused:
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »

You are joking, right? :eek: You obviously haven't seen Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and The Crimson Horror. They were bad! And I mean BAD! I wouldn't watch them again, if I can help it. Other people have mentioned on DS in other forums about how bad they actually were.

I was rather hoping Graeme Harper would do it. I've enjoyed most of the stories he's directed: The Caves of Androzani, The Unicorn and the Wasp, The Stolen Earth/Journey's End and The Waters of Mars.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    You are joking, right? :eek: You obviously haven't seen Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and The Crimson Horror. They were bad! And I mean BAD! I wouldn't watch them again, if I can help it. Other people have mentioned on DS in other forums about how bad they actually were.

I was rather hoping Graeme Harper would do it. I've enjoyed most of the stories he's directed: The Caves of Androzani, The Unicorn and the Wasp, The Stolen Earth/Journey's End and The Waters of Mars.

I actually enjoyed those episodes but he also did A Town Called Mercy and my two personal faves - The Snowmen and The Name Of The Doctor as well.

I'd love Graeme Harper as well though. It's a shame he hasn't been used in Moffat's era so far.
  • scumcatscumcat Posts: 349
    Forum Member

I am glad to see you expressing your opinions again tiggerpooh, the two BAD episodes as you call them are more than holding there own in hurt n heal.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Graeme Harpers work with The Caves...was brilliant for its time and hats off to him for trying something different. But time caught up with him and I am afraid I found alot of his New Who work functional at best and totally lacking in flair or imagination at worse. Look at Journeys End- no flourishes or identity of its own. Its rudimentary point and shoot and was very TV as opposed to episodes like 'Asylum of the Daleks' which scaled movie style heights and had tricks and treats Harper just wouldn't even begin to offer. He directed Who as if it were an episode of Casualty and the more time goes on and you rewatch they already show themselves up as standard TV fair.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So you're saying both episodes were directed poorly?
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the Crimson Horror was perfectly directed whether you loved the story or not (I was a fan). In fact the direction and editing enhanced the episode massively and shows what can be achieved if you have a director with a bit of flair and daring. The flashback structure worked amazingly and gave it a pace it would have otherwise lacked with a more linear 'Doctor and Clara arrive-discover threat-work out how to fight threat-win'. And the brilliant use of grainy old time effects when telling the flashback was exactly the kind of directorial flourish you just wouldn't have had with someone like Harper. Its good to see the show taking a few chances like that especially when it improves the story.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope they do call it "Silent Night" or "Twelfth Night". It would go with the christmas carol of the same name. Winter is the perfect time for a scary story. Looking forward to his last story.
    Say thank you and goodbye to Matt Smith while welcoming whoever is going to be the new doctor.
  • GilaGoraGilaGora Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was hoping for Euros Lyn to make a comeback, but Payne will do. Hide was a fantastic episode.