Album Let Downs of 2013

LMLM Posts: 63,324
Forum Member
✭✭
What albums really let you down this year?

For me it is

James Arthur - James Arthur
Avril Lavigne - Avril Lavigne
Jessie J - Alive
Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines
Haim - Days are gone
Stooshe - London with the lights (actually brought this but grew tired of it and sold it on EBAY)
Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience 1 & 2
Goldfrapp - Tales of us
Lucy Spraggan - Join the club
Eliza Doolittle - In your hands

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Jessie J and Katy Perry for me.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stooshe, not a single good track, awful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miley Cyrus - Bangerz
    Selena Gomez - Stars Dance
    Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience pt 1/2
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Living For The Weekend' by The Saturdays. It has a couple of gems (like Not Giving Up), but most of the tracks we'd heard before in one form or another, and a lot of the album tracks are very badly produced. Horrible artwork too.

And 'Demi' by Demi Lovato and 'Hello My Name Is...' by Bridgit Mendler. I loved the lead singles, but I thought the albums were both very poor and packed with filler. Really Don't Care (from Demi's album) is good, but that's about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    Kelly Rowland - Talk A Good Game. Not a bad album, just quite underwhelming in comparison to her older work. I like that she went in a more full-fledged R&B direction, though.

Eliza Doolittle - In Your Hands. Not a bad album, either, but there seems to be a lot of filler, and not many memorable tracks. I love Let It Rain and Big When I Was Little, though.

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience 1. The songs are way too long, it really ruins them for me. The only songs I really like on that album are Mirrors and Let The Groove Get In.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    crikey you are all harsh!!!
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs - Mosquito.

Rubbish album after the brilliance of the previous one.
  • DemonicrodentDemonicrodent Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katy Perry
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    Tom Odell - thought it would be good, but it sends me to sleep

Stooshe - it was ok at first bored of it now
  • ShoedShoed Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    Katy Perry
  • LMLM Posts: 63,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crikey you are all harsh!!!

For saying the albums listed let us down. I don't see how
  • constantino_chrconstantino_chr Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I LIKED PRISM!!!
    It was better than I thought it would be and is a grower!

For me it has to be:

Yuck - Glow and Behold
    Not a bad album, there are a few excellent songs like Middle Sea but compared to their debut it was a disappointment:cry:

Swim Deep - Where the Heaven We Are
    The Sea, King City and Honey where all excellent singles but the album as a whole was boring, forgettable and lazy! Soul Trippin' in particular was an abomination! :mad:

Alunageorge - Body Music
    I was such a huge fan of all their singles but the album was too long, too dull and the track list was poor. Once you've heard the singles, you've heard the best they have to offer:/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    1st - Naughty Boy, Hotel Cabana: nothing even comes close to the standard of La La La and too many songs are too similar.
    2nd - Selena Gomez, Stars Dance: couple of great singles but the rest is uninventive, overproduced rubbish.
    3rd - Miley Cyrus, Bangerz: 5 great tracks but the rest is just bad, wanted to like it but just don't.

Aside from these albums, I've really enjoyed loads of 2013 albums.
  • dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artflop.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Artflop.

It's not even out yet?
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not even out yet?

It's been all over the web for the past few days, leaked.
  • rebellionrebellion Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katy Perry - Prism. Awful album!
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Jessie J - Alive
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Mosquito - Yeah Yeah Yeahs for me too and also Shaking The Habitual by The Knife.
    I've never been so excited for an album release and then been so thoroughly disappointed before. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those who are saying"Katy Perry-Prism" have you really bothered yo listen to it!??
    Its actually pop gold as far as potential singles etc go. Legendary Lovers , It Takes Two (Deluxe), Dark Horse, Love Me ... All guaranteed hits and each very different. I was never a massive KP fan but Prism has me sold.

Album letdowns for me are:

Jessie J - Alive
    (its just really poor...)

Lady Gaga - Artpop
    (swine, gypsy, venus are all worth a download but the rest is style over substance)
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artpop. Easily. It's the most horrendous, messy, unorganised, incoherence body of work I have ever heard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blurred Lines & 20/20 pt2 I loved pt1, I just can't get into pt2 at all
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for the 'Yeah, Yeah Yeah's' also currently struggling with the new 'Arcade Fire' album.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Saturdays - Living for the Weekend.

What About Us, Disco Love, Gentleman, Not Giving Up and Lease My Love aside, it's a poor album. They're not realising their full potential and Little Mix are putting them to shame right now (hate to say it but last nights XF performance of Move sh*t all over any Saturdays performance - bags of presence, character, bite and energy).

The Sats just seem to settle for 'that'll do' and take a load of basic, cookie cutter, cheap and tacky tracks from basic producers and call it an album and never actually create a full body of work, just a bunch of tracks - they need to be more being more creative and innovative musically and performance wise like Little Mix seem to be right now. It's frustrating as The Sats are capable of good things if they bucked their ideas up, were more creative and made quality, glossy and interesting pop music but at the moment it's faceless, cheap, weak and tacky leftovers.

They need to go and have a rethink, bring a better, stronger popstar image instead of just constantly looking like they've been kidnapped from Topshop and go a bit more left field and do some studio work with the likes of Xenomania, Richard X, Biffco, Tim Powell, The Invisible Men and come back harder. They need to step it up big time material wise.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justin Timberlake's music this year has been a real let down. I was hoping for much more from him and I also didn't like the Daft Punk album