C4 - 16 Kids and Counting

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    Watched this as I did with 15 kids and counting and while I think they are INSANE, they seem like a lovely family who do brilliantly and respect to them for doing it all without relying on benefits and actually wanting the kids and not just being incapable of using contraception unlike some parents with big broods
  • RacheletteRachelette Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's great that they're a self sufficient loving unit. However, I was one of 4 and sometimes it didn't seem like my Mum had time for all of us. Then I repeated and had 4, then remarried a man with custody of his 2 and had to spread myself around 6 kids.

I would say I was addicted to having babies, I'd lost focus on myself and my own life and could only see my own value as a baby carrying machine., and had my ex not had the snip against my wishes I might have kept on. He wisely realised where it was going and took action. He was right incidently (not something I often say about my ex husband lol) and when the option to have more was removed I got some qualifications and a business :)

I know all 6 of them inside out, I can tell you which kid is responsible for any action at any time. That said I say nowadays that my biggest regret was not being able to give all of them enough personal one to one time, so I cannot imagine how she manages to do this for 16 of them!

Mine all quite independent, which sadly I think they had to learn earlier than alot of kids. One is a fireman, another is doing her MA at Uni, two more are at college and the other two still in school so I assume we did ok, but I do wish we could have had more individual time with them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the children were lovely, however if I were looking after them I think I would look more like the stressed-out grandparents than the calm parents!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do C4 feel they need to make these stupid shows for. Who cares if she has 16 kids? Well shame on her for sponging off the welfare system just because no job will ever pay that rate.
  • brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do C4 feel they need to make these stupid shows for. Who cares if she has 16 kids? Well shame on her for sponging off the welfare system just because no job will ever pay that rate.

How about you watch the program, or at least read other peoples comments on here to get a jist of the program. Then your opinion MAY be of value...
  • Doctor_DonnaDoctor_Donna Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brewer480 wrote: »
    How about you watch the program, or at least read other peoples comments on here to get a jist of the program. Then your opinion MAY be of value...

Even if father works, there's still child support, free dental care for the children, health care for them all (doctors, medicines etc), maternity care for mother 16 times - midwife/health care visitor time, hospital costs etc, school costs to educate them all. We are paying indirectly whichever way you look at it.

They seemed a nice family, but in this day and age its irresponsible imo to have that many children. If they love children so much and want a big family - adopt/foster - there's plenty of children already out there needing families.
  • brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if father works, there's still child support, free dental care for the children, health care for them all (doctors, medicines etc), maternity care for mother 16 times - midwife/health care visitor time, hospital costs etc, school costs to educate them all. We are paying indirectly whichever way you look at it.

They seemed a nice family, but in this day and age its irresponsible imo to have that many children. If they love children so much and want a big family - adopt/foster - there's plenty of children already out there needing families.

It's been said on here before, the finances were not fully explained, my guess they got a nice inheritance or the father is the managing director of a big bakery or somthing. The council wouldn't pay for private healthcare (which we saw the mother recieving), plus the cost of the minibus, large house etc. All we heard is that the family recieved £160 per week child benefit. But I agree it is a lot of resources used with free education, NHS dentist etc.

I completly agree that it is a bit irresponsible to have that many children, I think because she was 14 when she had her first maybe she felt like she couldn't go to work and so just wanted to live as a full time mum forever constantly needing children. But fair play to her, she brought them up well which must have been extremely difficult, I don't think I could do it.

I just got pissed off when people come on here having not watched the show and straight away starts pointing the finger that we have a benefits sponger here who doesnt give a damn about the kids, because in this case it is not true!
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Ive seen a programme on this family before, I'm absolutely sure. :confused:
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    Ive seen a programme on this family before, I'm absolutely sure. :confused:

Yes, 15 Kids and Counting, it might still be on ch4OD.
    Forum Member
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    Yes, 15 Kids and Counting, it might still be on ch4OD.

So they made "15 kids & counting" last year and have made "16 kids & counting" this year?! Er, why? What'll be next? "17 kids & 1 grandkid & counting"? :confused:
  • moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They must be getting quite a lot of money from the media coverage, so that would explain how they can afford private health care, etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they made "15 kids & counting" last year and have made "16 kids & counting" this year?! Er, why? What'll be next? "17 kids & 1 grandkid & counting"? :confused:

...and a cat, dog and hamster, or maybe rabbits.;)

I think it was because Sue, the Mum was pregnant when the last baby was only a couple of months old and her daughter was pregnant at the same time.
  • Doctor_DonnaDoctor_Donna Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brewer480 wrote: »
    It's been said on here before, the finances were not fully explained, my guess they got a nice inheritance or the father is the managing director of a big bakery or somthing. The council wouldn't pay for private healthcare (which we saw the mother recieving), plus the cost of the minibus, large house etc. All we heard is that the family recieved £160 per week child benefit. But I agree it is a lot of resources used with free education, NHS dentist etc.

I completly agree that it is a bit irresponsible to have that many children, I think because she was 14 when she had her first maybe she felt like she couldn't go to work and so just wanted to live as a full time mum forever constantly needing children. But fair play to her, she brought them up well which must have been extremely difficult, I don't think I could do it.

I just got pissed off when people come on here having not watched the show and straight away starts pointing the finger that we have a benefits sponger here who doesnt give a damn about the kids, because in this case it is not true!

I agree. They both seemed to genuinely love their kids and they were all well cared for, and the siblings seemed to love each other too. I was suprised in that they seemed 'normal' and the kids weren't called Beaujolais and other awful 'modern' names! I feel a bit sorry for mum and dad if all 16 kids have 2-3 kids each, as Christmas and Birthdays will be hell!
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Spot who didn't watch the programme but felt they could still express an opinion about a family they know nothing about. If you'd watched you would have seen the Dad owns a bakery business and they aren't living off the welfare system.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. They both seemed to genuinely love their kids and they were all well cared for, and the siblings seemed to love each other too. I was suprised in that they seemed 'normal' and the kids weren't called Beaujolais and other awful 'modern' names! I feel a bit sorry for mum and dad if all 16 kids have 2-3 kids each, as Christmas and Birthdays will be hell!

Love your user name, but now that's how I will picture you when reading your posts,lol, not to mention your location.

Birthdays in big families are a real headache, don't envy them that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot who didn't watch the programme but felt they could still express an opinion about a family they know nothing about. If you'd watched you would have seen the Dad owns a bakery business and they aren't living off the welfare system.

There are alot of people who do have 16 kids and do sponge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are alot of people who do have 16 kids and do sponge.
    Still very crass to make such sweeping generalisations when you haven't bothered to watch.
    Incidentally, I doubt the 10 bedroomed house cost that much. I know (and hate) Morecambe quite well as my parents retired there. :rolleyes: and spent an awful few years up there caring for Mum in her old age.
    It looks like a former hotel which can be picked up for around £200k. There's a 14 bed one here
    http://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/property/morecambe/?beds_min=8&q=Morecambe&radius=0&results_sort=highest_price&search_source=refine
    I doubt you could get much down South for that much, even with falling property properties.

I thought they came across very well. Much better than the Duggers or the Browns of Sister Wives fame. They blot out the religious principals that make having as many kids as humanly possible an act of faith. I think Michelle Dugger is on No 19. I marvel at how many J names they make up. :p

But after they're babies they seem to be farmed out to their "buddy" who is then left to care for a squalling infant. The ids seem to have zero choice and live a very isolated life, being home schooled etc.
    The Duggers fascinate me as does Kody Brown with his sister wives, two of whom hate each others guts. Now that is one seriously weird set up, with the older kids thinking their are way too many babies which, without their telly money, they couldn't afford

* :) Apologies to anyone who loves Morecambe or lives there. I was there under very stressful circumstances which has coloured my opinion. Thank goodness for Eric's statue. It was one of the few things that made me smile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder if one of the reasons the family decided to participate in this documentary was because of opinions like this.
  • GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I might sound a bit controversial, but this needs to be said.

I am sick of people having such large families. Do they not realise the human population is massively out of control? Within a few miles radius of my house, at least a dozen fields have been concreted over with houses and flats. It's so bad around here that flats were built on a restaurant's car park! It's the same all over. Pretty soon, there will be no greenbelt left because of houses! All this building has destroyed the habitats of millions of animals and has also seen countless species go extinct.

Absolutely nothing is being done about this crisis.

South Georgia recently announced it is going to cull a herd of 3,000 deer. The reason being is that they are destroying the habitats of other species. Well, hang on, what exactly is it that humans are doing all the time? Humans have destroyed BILLIONS of acres of land.

Not to mention the fact that human activity has greatly fast tracked the destruction of the planet's atmosphere.

I am sorry, but having big families MUST be made illegal. You might not like it, but it's the stone cold truth. This woman needs to be sterilized before she churns out any more babies.

Here is a great article.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    GibsonGirl wrote: »
    I know I might sound a bit controversial, but this needs to be said.

I am sick of people having such large families. Do they not realise the human population is massively out of control? Within a few miles radius of my house, at least a dozen fields have been concreted over with houses and flats. It's so bad around here that flats were built on a restaurant's car park! It's the same all over. Pretty soon, there will be no greenbelt left because of houses! All this building has destroyed the habitats of millions of animals and has also seen countless species go extinct.

Absolutely nothing is being done about this crisis.

South Georgia recently announced it is going to cull a herd of 3,000 deer. The reason being is that they are destroying the habitats of other species. Well, hang on, what exactly is it that humans are doing all the time? Humans have destroyed BILLIONS of acres of land.

Not to mention the fact that human activity has greatly fast tracked the destruction of the planet's atmosphere.

I am sorry, but having big families MUST be made illegal. You might not like it, but it's the stone cold truth. This woman needs to be sterilized before she churns out any more babies.

Here is a great article.

16 children eventually equals 16 adults working and paying for your State Pension.
    Forum Member
    heiker wrote: »
    16 children eventually equals 16 adults working and paying for your State Pension.

How do you know they will all work? (I'm not saying they won't, but you can't possibly reply with a post like that, unless you can predict the future) ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    I wonder if one of the reasons the family decided to participate in this documentary was because of opinions like this.

I wouldnt belittle myself to watch trash like that. If that was the reason they did the show it wont change my opinion. She should of had her bits sown up after 5 kids.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    How do you know they will all work? (I'm not saying they won't, but you can't possibly reply with a post like that, unless you can predict the future) ;)

Of course, I can.t prove it but the example of working set by the father of these 16 children is a fair indication.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldnt belittle myself to watch trash like that. If that was the reason they did the show it wont change my opinion. She should of had her bits sown up after 5 kids.

You wouldn't belittle yourself that way, yet........:rolleyes:

She didn't get pregnant alone, anything you would like done to her husband also or do you just hate women?
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I feel sorry for the older kids. My aunt has 4 kids and her eldest is always responsible for looking after the youngest when they go out. I can only imagine what its like when there are so many younger siblings to look after.