David Tennant "Beginning to Give Up Hope" of Doctor Who Return

davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
Forum Member
David Tennant has told Time Out London that he is beginning to give up hope of returning to Doctor Who for the show's 50th anniversary. Speaking of the celebrations he maintains his stance that he has heard nothing about appearing in the show and says he is ‘beginning to give up hope that anything’s going to happen’.

Talking of the life changes that his role as the Tenth Doctor brought he says ‘You can’t ever shrug it off, sometimes it’s a really lovely thing – even people who don’t watch the show love the idea of it. But you can’t switch it off when you’re buying a coffee and want to get home quickly, and five kids want a photograph taken.'
Though he quickly adds 'That makes it sound like a trial, and it’s not, but you can’t choose it. It’s part of the deal and it changes the practicalities of your life.’"

Read the rest of the interview here

Comments

• allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmmmm - red herring
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    My first thought was *moffat on phone to Tennant* "good going, that'll put them off the scent!"

... I hope :D
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first thought was *moffat on phone to Tennant* "good going, that'll put them off the scent!"

... I hope :D

ha ha ;) -- not fooling us are they :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what a load of porkies

he'd better have a blooming shave though
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    If he says he's coming back, he's coming back.
    If he says he's not coming back, he's coming back.
    What's the point of him saying anything at all?
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he says he's coming back, he's coming back.
    If he says he's not coming back, he's coming back.
    What's the point of him saying anything at all?

Exactly.

What if the Moff is just writing a story focusing, rightly, on the current Doctor? It is easy to write little titbits nodding to the shows past, but these Doctors apart from Matt have had their moments. They don't need to hog the Anniversary special.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope he does return. His doctor was very well liked by a lot of people. I think he was one of the best, if not the best Doctor to date. He was also (after Tom), the longest in the role, too.

Come on Moff, get on the blower to Tennant soon! He will be missed and a lot of fans won't be happy. Me, for one.

It won't be as good, a special without David.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Come on Moff, get on the blower to Tennant soon! He will be missed and a lot of fans won't be happy. Me, for one.

I'm the opposite. I'd just like a blistering story and I don't care if we don't see any previous Doctors... mainly because that'll open the floodgates for all the previous companions and, of course, Captain Jack, who I never want to see again in any form on telly.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    Karis wrote: »
    I'm the opposite. I'd just like a blistering story and I don't care if we don't see any previous Doctors... mainly because that'll open the floodgates for all the previous companions and, of course, Captain Jack, who I never want to see again in any form on telly.

Capt. Jack is one o the best supporting characters to come out of DW! although I would not like to see him without 9 or 10, he is their companion. I am sure we will see 10 and a host of others in the anniversary episode. I would love to see all the companions back too, well the ones still with us . Its got to be over the top and wonderful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I guess we'll be seeing wee Davey on the telly in November then:)
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    Good grief some posters are in serious denial. It doesn't seem to matter what any of the actors say in interviews they are convinced that they are all returning and will continue to believe that until 23rd November no doubt.

Perhaps Tennant won't be in it because they want to save his return for the 10th anniversary of the new series in a couple of years?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    If he does come back I hope they bring back Rose aswell :)
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    I hope he does return. His doctor was very well liked by a lot of people. I think he was one of the best, if not the best Doctor to date. He was also (after Tom and Jon), the longest in the role, too.

fixed that for you ;)

Tennant - 4 years 1 week.
    Pertwee - 4 years 18 weeks (approx)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'll be back.
  • DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the question is: triple bluff or quadruple bluff?
  • DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His comments about it are all over the place. He's clearly bluffing and will be a part of it. Which makes me doubt Colin Baker's comments again. Clearly they have all been told to keep shtum of deny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Matt Smith confirmed he's been asked? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if he'll be back for the 60th...? :D
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    He's returning.

I don't doubt it for a moment.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Wizzywick said.
    i have no idea what is smoke and mirrors and what is likely. But I don't really care. I will be happy either way. I still think including the past doctors in anything other than fleeting cameos/mentions is impossible considering the timescales of the episode so maybe its best not to risk upsetting fans of various incarnations and not even go there at all.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Good grief some posters are in serious denial. It doesn't seem to matter what any of the actors say in interviews they are convinced that they are all returning and will continue to believe that until 23rd November no doubt.

Perhaps Tennant won't be in it because they want to save his return for the 10th anniversary of the new series in a couple of years?

I know! Brilliant , isn't it?! Tenth Doctor back for sure. Colin said he hasn't been asked too. So deffo sixth Doctor in it! And Sylvester only took the Radagast gig so he could collect his costume in person from Peter Jackson.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karis wrote: »
    mainly because that'll open the floodgates for all the previous companions and, of course, Captain Jack, who I never want to see again in any form on telly.

Not neccesarily. The production team could just say that Jack is too busy doing stuff in America with Gwen.

I'm in two minds about Jack being in the 50th if i'm honest. I think that John Barrowman is such an excellent singer and actor, but I think he's been in Doctor Who and any related shows enough for the moment.

I'm a huge fan of him. I've got both autobiographies, plus the audiobook of his first one, and I've got two music CDs that he's done. Tonight's The Night The Very Best of and The Essential John Barrowman.

One of them is more poppy and dancy, whereas, the other is more him singing songs from musicals.

http://p.playserver1.com/ProductImages/3/6/5/7/2/4/1/2/21427563_700x700min_1.jpg

http://www.silverdisc.com/images/64/698458123329.jpg

I've also got him singing live on DVD in Scotland.
    http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsXQaPTE8hhpEKVqf1E_g9DP3OkLuiP3AFKBI_Zk4IjdJ_IY5Y9UVaXxA3
    And as I'm, a huge Doctor Who fan, I've got various action figures of Captain Jack Harkness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know perhaps that thread about Doctor Who being a religion wasn't so silly after all because some fans seem to love clinging onto blind faith in light of facts. I think in the same way that some seem convinced the BBC have commissioned and begun preparing a super secret phantom series 8 for broadcast this year some people are genuinely expecting a Scooby Gang style anniversary episode with all Doctors starring. When it doesn't happen they will be raging on the forums that's for sure. And thatll be a shame. I really really don't envy Moffat. (well i do. Hes the Moff. But you know what I mean)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But please. Lets have Jack back. Please!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Matt Smith confirmed he's been asked? :D

That's a silly question to ask. Or rather, an obvious one. Of course he'll be there. He's the current one, and Matt did say about three weeks ago that he doesn't want to go until after the 50th anniversary special has aired.