Eleven reasons I REALLY hope they don't do a multi doctor story.

drtwelvedrtwelve Posts: 132
Forum Member
1. (and specifically for this forum!) I could not stand the endless "x acted y" off the screen (especially re DT and Matt)
2. I feel by using previous doctors (as in all other multi doc stories) it "weakens" the whole point of "death"/regeneration. If the earlier doctors are still having (for them) contemporaneous adventures then they never "died" in the first place! I've always hated the idea that they somehow "go on". (Especially when you think of the fuss DT made when hid doctor "didn't want to go" bleugh!)
3. The Moff can, I am sure, come up with a much better way to celebrate. See final para as to what I'd prefer.
4. Given we are missing the first three it wouldn't seem right to have them either missing or recast.
5. For those that still live NO amount of technobabble can, in all honesty, explain the changes in appearance (see also point 2 if each doctor "lives on")
6. I'm not sure that that it really is the 50th anniversary - it was off the air for years. So its a bit of a cheat and cheek!
7. It's been mentioned before but given that it may probably be a single episode, then too much would be crammed in.
8. Each actor gave up the role, in some cases to avoid "typecasting". So why SHOULD they get back in! (now that its probably a better earner for them!)
9. What do we do at future anniversaries, when, sadly, more and more of the actors will die? You have to draw a line under it somewhere.
10. Can you imagine the amount of moaning the silly fanboys will have re likely plotholes, or errors in continuity! (I have recently on this forum cheered myself up with the thought that as a proportion of the MILLIONS of viewers who watch it, only the sad few rabble on about nonsense and pick holes in the most stupid things
11. It simply is not needed! The show can stand on its own in the present without having to "celebrate" Let the celebrations take place out with the show - documentaries, interviews, and the likes.
So - what would I like.
Well, if they MUST use earlier doctors (and Ive said this before) the Deep Space nine episode Trials and Tribbilations gave a great template for incorporating earlier footage with new. And with progress in colourisation you could have Matt sneaking up behind Patrick etc putting things in their hands etc
Rather than the doctors, have some classic companions pop up. At least they can age.
So. My first ever opening post - I must be bored. Let the battle commence....

Comments

• billykubrickbillykubrick Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5. For those that still live NO amount of technobabble can, in all honesty, explain the changes in appearance (see also point 2 if each doctor "lives on")

It would work for Paul Mcgann: he can age as much as we like since we never saw when he regenerated.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member

1. (and specifically for this forum!) I could not stand the endless "x acted y" off the screen (especially re DT and Matt)

Agreed.

2. I feel by using previous doctors (as in all other multi doc stories) it "weakens" the whole point of "death"/regeneration. If the earlier doctors are still having (for them) contemporaneous adventures then they never "died" in the first place! I've always hated the idea that they somehow "go on". (Especially when you think of the fuss DT made when hid doctor "didn't want to go" bleugh!)

You seem to have completely misunderstood the concept. The idea is that the Doctor can meet himself at a point before he regenerated, the show says NOTHING about any of the Doctors "going on" -- they didnt. They regenerated.

3. The Moff can, I am sure, come up with a much better way to celebrate. See final para as to what I'd prefer.

Maybe. But it would have to pay huge attentio to the classic series to feel like any kind of celebration of the past 50 years.

4. Given we are missing the first three it wouldn't seem right to have them either missing or recast.

I don't mind if the first 3 aren't there, I love the first 3 Doctors, but I agree, so leave them out if need be,

The technobabble in Time Crash explains it perfectly. Also see my respons R.E. living on.

6. I'm not sure that that it really is the 50th anniversary - it was off the air for years. So its a bit of a cheat and cheek!

No it isn't. 1963 - 2013 is 50 years. We havent had James Bond every year either but that didnt stop them writing a highly self referential film to celebrate it.

7. It's been mentioned before but given that it may probably be a single episode, then too much would be crammed in.

Depends how long the episode is.

8. Each actor gave up the role, in some cases to avoid "typecasting". So why SHOULD they get back in! (now that its probably a better earner for them!)

Because they have devoted themselves to the show and the fans the whole world over, and all agree the role was the most enjoyable they have had? In most cases they gave up the role because staying in one role for as long as Who requires is a rare thing in acting; they had to move on to other things to add to their repetoire

9. What do we do at future anniversaries, when, sadly, more and more of the actors will die? You have to draw a line under it somewhere.

All the more reason to do it next year whilst as many as possible are still alive then, misery guts ;):p

10. Can you imagine the amount of moaning the silly fanboys will have re likely plotholes, or errors in continuity! (I have recently on this forum cheered myself up with the thought that as a proportion of the MILLIONS of viewers who watch it, only the sad few rabble on about nonsense and pick holes in the most stupid things

Dont come on to the forums for a week after the episode then, simples.

11. It simply is not needed! The show can stand on its own in the present without having to "celebrate" Let the celebrations take place out with the show - documentaries, interviews, and the likes.

The show has always celebrated these anniversaries, its only fitting and proper.
  • jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drtwelve wrote: »
    So - what would I like.
    Well, if they MUST use earlier doctors (and Ive said this before) the Deep Space nine episode Trials and Tribbilations gave a great template for incorporating earlier footage with new. And with progress in colourisation you could have Matt sneaking up behind Patrick etc putting things in their hands etc
    Rather than the doctors, have some classic companions pop up. At least they can age.

But in the days of the classic series they did multi doctor anniversary story's and it was always a great way to celebrate it. So I have to disagree it would be great to see some of the old doctors back for the anniversary. And who said all of them should be there maybe just some of the ones that are still with us.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    So - what would I like.
    an·ni·ver·sa·ry
    /ˌanəˈvərsərē/
    Noun
    1. The date on which an event took place in a previous year.
    2. The date on which a country or other institution was founded in a previous year.

I'm sorry, but whether you personally think it is or not has absolutely no bearing on the fact that it is. Anniversaries have exactly nothing to do with the accumulated years something is being shown for, or someone has been alive for.

Why do we still celebrate the birth/death dates of notable characters in History, or the end of wars, if what you say is true?

Enough of peoples' silly nonsense about not being the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who - it was first shown 50 years ago next November, and therefore 2013 is the 50th Anniversary. To ignore that is to ignore maths and common sense.

Now, having said that, I agree with the majority of your points, and feel a multi-doc to be something I wouldn't necessarily enjoy. But having said that, if they do have one, then I'll more than likely enjoy it!
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So - what would I like.

Point 5: Technobabble has been used to explain lots of things over the years, what makes the 50th anniversary any different?

Point 6: Are you seriously suggesting we wait until 2029 until we officially celebrate the 50th anniversary, to cater for it's 16 years of screen? It's so silly! As Sebbie has said above, it's the 50th anniversary of when it was first shown, it doesn't matter how many of those years it was onscreen for.

Point 7: It doesn't have to be in a single episode. That is an idea that even for me wouldn't work, maybe two or three episodes would cater for it.

Point 8: To counter your question, why shouldn't they be allowed back in? Each Doctor has made his contribution to the show and in most cases extended the Series by another few years. It's their right to come back if the producers want it, it's only right they are there to celebrate their own time in the show as happened in The Five Doctors. That is what an anniversary is for, to look back over a set amount of years and celebrate those years. I see no better way of doing that than involving as many Doctors as possible.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Hmm...

Hmm...I could see this happening. But are silly, little forum debates justification for not having a multi-Doctor story? Defintely not.

It's a time travel show. They don't go on. They still died.

Maybe. That's just a presumption though.

I agree but they can surely be referenced in someway. Just because the first three are missing, doesn't mean we should completely forget about the rest.

Time Crash.

Not sure if this point is really relevant. This is a post as to why there shouldn't be a multi-Doctor Who story for the 50th Anniversary- then go to say it isn't even the 50th! It is the 50th Anniversary in 2013 and this is not a point that proves we shouldn't have a multi-Doctor story.

I agree. Episodes seemed rushed nowadays. However, this is Doctor Who's 50th Anniversary- I'm sure they would get an extended episode!

Not really relevant. That point is seemingly just spite, rather than a valid reason or argument.

So we use all the Doctors we have now, whilst most of them are still alive, to celebrate a huge milestone in Doctor Who history. This is perhaps the one and only chance to do something like this...all these Doctors together on a huge milestone. As you say, more of the actors will sadly soon die. You reckon most of them will be around for the 75th? Will Doctor Who even be around for the 75th? The future is uncertain- we can't miss perfect opportunities like this one.

Again, is the ramblings of a few forum members on Digital Spy justification for not doing a multi-Doctor story? This is basically the same as point 1. I'm not sure Moffat would be thinking "I would do a multi-Doctor Who story, but those folks at Digital Spy might moan about plot holes!"

Again, not really a valid reason. Saying "it's not needed" is not a reason. I'm all for documentaries and the like, but the 50th needs to celebrated within the show itself- in my opinion of course.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No multi doctor stories for me thanks. Some very good reasons from the OP. I do however believe Tennant will return. I would not begrudge him an appearance but the predictable fall out with the ten versus eleven fans will be inevitable and very depressing. They are both world class actors and to have them sharing the screen would be a dream come true. Throw Simm and Barrowman in there and wow. Heaven.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I trust The Moff to really bring the house down with an immense story...i just hope it does NOT end with a regeneration or anything like that! Would hate hate hate Matt to leave at this stage he has so much left to explore :)

Also i do agree with a lot of point here...i feel that fanwars (for whatever reason) is just always overbearing in any case and it is such a shame....but i am all for past episodes being digitalised in perhaps if it will work with the story...i wouldnt mind cameos either but Matt is the doctor and Clara is the companion so the story must essentially revolve around him and where he is heading.

I do love the idea of a villain team up to echo past and present Who too....perhaps a journey to discover WHO he is :) and reunite past companions and current companions (bring River and Jack into the mix) and maybe unite Madame Kovarian/The Silence, Davros (independantly and played by Julian Bleach...the finest moments were his scenes in the series 4 finale!) and Simm as The Master....perhaps united for a massive plotline to take the 50th special to a new level?

I dunno....but i feel it is important the episode echoes to the shows past somehow and stays true to the present :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree Josh. I also think a 'monster mash' coming together of some classic villains would be preferable to too many Doctors. It is Matt and Clara's time and they deserve the moment. Sure. Reference the other incarnations but don't over clutter things up. A multiple villain story would be far less divisive and easier to pull off for obvious reasons.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I think you make some interesting points and while I'm more partial to seeing multi companion than multi Doctor, it is the show's 50th and for some actors, it might be the last chance to ever really reprise the role on screen. I respect your reasons but I think a multi Doctor 50th is going to happen though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose based on the date of birth the only thing we can guess at this point is that Clara will be a very central part of the 50th story. Though of course it could be classic Moffat misdirection. I doubt it though. For me that shot of the gravestone is where the build up to the anniversary story starts on screen.
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm all for a multi Doctor story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    I think the answer is obvious, bring Paul Mcgann back and show the 8th doctor battling rassilon and the time lords and davros and the daleks, show him getting to the moment where he ends the time war and he pauses (a'la genesis of the daleks : 'do I have the right?') and he hears a tardis appear its the 11th doctor, who always came back to this point, it answers the question doctor who, the doctor who caused the fall of gallifrey, its the reason why the first doctor ran away, a gallifreian prophet told him he was more than just another time lord and he kept running. Using the heart of the tardis 8 & 11 see what it could have been like had the time war not stopped. In Xmas carol style story we see the old doctors (using the trials and tribbilations approach) the current doctors and possibly a future doctor, obv 11 succeeds and 8 causes the moment that ends the time war, we (finally!) see the regeneration of 8 to 9 and as he flies off dectects the autons on earth...
    Meanwhile 11 goes off to pick up Clara, he ponders knowing there is another doctor what will happen at the fields of trenzalore when he is supposed to fall, the camera pans away to another room on the tardis what neither we or the doctor saw is the master! Who through a flashback is show to have sneak on to the tardis, he is badly injured dying after his battle with rassilon and he regenerates into Clara!

This would give closure to the final original run doctor and give us the cassic series to new series regeneration we have always wanted isn't overly heavy in the past and could be the answer to the question, just my idea but think it would be cool
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    I'd also prefer documentaries etc plus a good ending to the current storyline, but I don't think it's likely.

I wouldn't be bothered if I never saw Ten again and I really don't want to see that tiresome blonde mouth breather, either. I also don't fancy him clinging to the console, sobbing about how unfair everything is when it's time for him to go. That said, with Moffat writing, he's unlikely to shoot Matt in the foot the way RTD did.

Nine was a different matter - he was fond of Rose, but hadn't been painted into the romantic hero corner. For this reason, I was more convinced of Nine's alien-ness.(Shame, because Tennant is a good actor.) I'd like Nine back, but I doubt it'd happen.

One way to do it is in flashback. With Eight to Ten, these could be filmed fresh for the episode -Matt doesn't need to interact too much - with (new?) voiceovers for the very changed. Actually, that'd include Ten, who sadly has not aged as well as Eight or Nine. I didn't like the characterisation, but he was pretty enough...
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could have done a stand alone episode with 8 and a companion as well as the special.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Also i do agree with a lot of point here...i feel that fanwars (for whatever reason) is just always overbearing in any case and it is such a shame....but i am all for past episodes being digitalised in perhaps if it will work with the story...i wouldnt mind cameos either but Matt is the doctor and Clara is the companion so the story must essentially revolve around him and where he is heading.

In other words, what you are suggesting is that the show just carries on as normal, we have a story featuring just the Eleventh Doctor and Clara...and nothing else. Exactly how does a story featuring just those two celebrate the 50th anniversary??????

Reading through some of the posts on this thread I feel like banging my head against the nearest wall. Everytime this subject crops up we have the same old comments about everything Post-McGann being part of the anniversary and everything before him conveniently forgotten. I have lost count the amount of times myself and others have had to point out it isn't the celebration of New Who, it's a celebration of all Who, of every single year it was ever transmitted from 1963 onwards. Why is this such a difficult concept for some people to actually take on board??????

1963-2013- That is what is being celebrated, not 1996-2013 or even 2005-2013. And that is what the Anniversary is whether any if it's a Multi-Doctor story or not.

:rolleyes::)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think anyone here is seeking to denigrate the 'classic series' at all. It is just being realistic about what is feasibly going to be possible to make while retaining any sense of quality. I know I don't want to see the old doctors shoe horned into their old costumes combined with some ropey cgi to insert those that have passed on into the episode/s. It would just resemble tacky and cheap fan service. The greatest tribute to the show would be a brilliant episode for the anniversary, not a tasteless 'This is your Life' style exercise in looking to the past. Of course we want and need references to the entire history but do we want a repeat of a Hartnell lookalike in a wig running around the Tardis? I for one do not.

And Josh didn't say it should revolve exclusively around Eleven...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think anyone here is seeking to denigrate the 'classic series' at all. It is just being realistic about what is feasibly going to be possible to make while retaining any sense of quality. I know I don't want to see the old doctors shoe horned into their old costumes combined with some ropey cgi to insert those that have passed on into the episode/s. It would just resemble tacky and cheap fan service. The greatest tribute to the show would be a brilliant episode for the anniversary, not a tasteless 'This is your Life' style exercise in looking to the past. Of course we want and need references to the entire history but do we want a repeat of a Hartnell lookalike in a wig running around the Tardis? I for one do not.

It doesn't have to be a Multi-Doctor story, all it needs to do is balance the New Stuff with the old and make sure the Classic Series is represented in some way. That is what annoys me about some posts, they think it should be about the New Series and nothing else. I don't like repeating myself but on this subject I'll keep pointing it out as often as I have to. It's something I feel very strongly about.

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I totally respect that and I agree with you on alot of it. As I say my only reservations are that I don't really want a 100 minute version of Timecrash (not saying that's what you're suggesting). Its going to be an almost impossible job for Moffat but certainly I would like to see the Classic series honoured far more than recent history. I suspect however that for reasons of practicality and convenience we are more likely to see a Tennant love in. I doubt Mcgann would be involved at all. While I liked him I don't think the fiftieth is the time to pay tribute to missed opportunities. I would rather have McCoy.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about The Doctor coming across a room in the Tardis with paintings of all the previous Doctors.

Also have you seen the Dr Who postage stamps?:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    What about The Doctor coming across a room in the Tardis with paintings of all the previous Doctors.

Also have you seen the Dr Who postage stamps?:D

cant wait to get a few sets of them! A nice tribute. In fact the more you think of it what a wonderful year to be a Doctor Who fan it will be. An unprecedented achievement for a TV show and a national institution being celebrated. Quite right to. I remember watching old VCR copies of the re-runs they showed in the early nineties with friends about ten years ago...we would never have dreamed what was to come!
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is even a first class Tardis postage stamp on the Miniature sheet.:D
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't we compromise and just have Eleven at the start, and Twelve in it later on? ;);):D
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the answer is obvious, bring Paul Mcgann back and show the 8th doctor battling rassilon and the time lords and davros and the daleks, show him getting to the moment where he ends the time war and he pauses (a'la genesis of the daleks : 'do I have the right?') and he hears a tardis appear its the 11th doctor, who always came back to this point, it answers the question doctor who, the doctor who caused the fall of gallifrey, its the reason why the first doctor ran away, a gallifreian prophet told him he was more than just another time lord and he kept running. Using the heart of the tardis 8 & 11 see what it could have been like had the time war not stopped. In Xmas carol style story we see the old doctors (using the trials and tribbilations approach) the current doctors and possibly a future doctor, obv 11 succeeds and 8 causes the moment that ends the time war, we (finally!) see the regeneration of 8 to 9 and as he flies off dectects the autons on earth...

This would give closure to the final original run doctor and give us the cassic series to new series regeneration we have always wanted isn't overly heavy in the past and could be the answer to the question, just my idea but think it would be cool

I do really like this idea it certainly would be a way of tying things to the past where we don't have to worry about actors ageing.

Otherwise the obvious answer is a multi doctor actor story rather than a multi doctor story.

I don't get the argument over it being the 50th - the show continued in different formats with the same actors and characters over that period so it never totally disappeared and stopped being made.

It's the 50th and I want fireworks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In other words, what you are suggesting is that the show just carries on as normal, we have a story featuring just the Eleventh Doctor and Clara...and nothing else. Exactly how does a story featuring just those two celebrate the 50th anniversary??????

Reading through some of the posts on this thread I feel like banging my head against the nearest wall. Everytime this subject crops up we have the same old comments about everything Post-McGann being part of the anniversary and everything before him conveniently forgotten. I have lost count the amount of times myself and others have had to point out it isn't the celebration of New Who, it's a celebration of all Who, of every single year it was ever transmitted from 1963 onwards. Why is this such a difficult concept for some people to actually take on board??????

1963-2013- That is what is being celebrated, not 1996-2013 or even 2005-2013. And that is what the Anniversary is whether any if it's a Multi-Doctor story or not.

:rolleyes::)

If you look at EVERYthing i typed then no that is not what i said....I said the focus should be on Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Colman as they are the main heads of the show BUT echoes to the shows past be presented somewhat in the plot.

And then i went on a ramble about different key monsters/villains across the shows history teaming up with a plan to shift gear completely for the episode itself and then for the series 8 to follow :cool:

So Madame Kovarian/The Silence (the current era), Davros (the T.Baker era), The Master (Pertwee onwards) maybe even a shock reveal of Omega as a classic reinvention for Nu-Who and find a way to echo to the shows history and move forward....tbh it is something only The Moff can do....and i trust him to do it :)

But that is basically what i was trying to get forward...the special to focus on the doctor NOW but to bring in key elements through foes and past companions and past storylines in one episode....its tough to explain lol.