Sheldon spanking Amy - has Big Bang jumped the shark?

L_BeeL_Bee Posts: 71
Forum Member
It's been a bit hit and miss for me this season, but the last episode of E4 was really a low point! Have they ran out of ideas?

Comments

• SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like this scene either. It was just too bizarre.
  • Barry_JohnsonBarry_Johnson Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's been rubbish since amy was turned into a major character.

the best scenes were always sheldon and penny, now you hardly get those.

if they were going to 'pair' the characters up they should have got a girl for raj and left sheldon as a 'floater' between the 3 couples.

or maybe bring in 2 new women, one for raj and one for leonard thus meaning sheldon and penny become a 4th 'couple' by default.

amy ruins the show and sheldon having a girlfriend is too weird and ruins the character.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why these one off 'debates' cant be held in the shows respective UK/US threads.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1759300 - UK speed

...as the title of the thread offers spoilers for those of us who havent yet caught up or are behind on a few episodes.
  • MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

if they were going to 'pair' the characters up they should have got a girl for raj and left sheldon as a 'floater' between the 3 couples.

or maybe bring in 2 new women, one for raj and one for leonard thus meaning sheldon and penny become a 4th 'couple' by default.

amy ruins the show and sheldon having a girlfriend is too weird and ruins the character.

100% agree, Amy just kills the what makes sheldon so fun to watch.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the funniest scenes I've seen in a long, long time. Had to cover my mouth in case my neighbour thought I was getting murdered :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was strange as Sheldon would have known better than to strike another person, no matter what the comedy value. It was out of character, and yes the show has jumped the shark ever since Penny slept with Raj.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try watching it without the laughter track. Painful.

Blossom needs to go. All this relationship tat. Its turning into a poorly written friends.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Try watching it without the laughter track. .

You mean the "laughter track" supplied by the live studio audience they film in front of ?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »
    I thought it was strange as Sheldon would have known better than to strike another person, no matter what the comedy value. It was out of character, and yes the show has jumped the shark ever since Penny slept with Raj.

It was a power play relationship which they both got off on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Try watching it without the laughter track. Painful.

Blossom needs to go. All this relationship tat. Its turning into a poorly written friends.

Completely agree with this.

Popular comedies nowadays like The Big Bang Theory, HIMYM, Modern Family, Community etc fail to capture the magic of the comedies in the 90's, Frasier, Friends, The Simpsons (pre season 11).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Aaron1995 wrote: »
    Completely agree with this.

Popular comedies nowadays like The Big Bang Theory, HIMYM, Modern Family, Community etc fail to capture the magic of the comedies in the 90's, Frasier, Friends, The Simpsons (pre season 11).

Community isn't popular, and Fraiser isn't that funny...
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not so much Sheldon spanking Amy that bothered me, as how much Amy has changed. She's getting increasingly over the top. While Bernadette and Penny have had some small, gradual changes, Amy is literally the polar opposite to who she was when she first came in. Amy in her first few episodes practically made Sheldon look human.
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it,BUT....would Sheldon,who
    runs a mile at the idea of infection,so
    readily have looked after Amy?
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    timebug wrote: »

Sheldon is written very inconsistently sometimes. I seem to recall at one point him saying something like (in another episode) - "It's just a cold". Or reacting very passively to someone around him having a cold. Nothing like the extremes when the boys ended up hiding from him.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D'you know what's actually jumped the shark? The phrase 'jumping the shark'. Even when it started, it was always a pretty vague concept - essentially that the writers of a show had run out of ideas within it's usual parameters and so came up with a gimmick or completely changed an aspect of the show in an effort to keep people watching.

Over the years though, it's essentially watered down to a generic description used when a show is perceived as decreasing in quality. And sometimes, as is this case, it can also be applied to a scene that people don't like.

So, no, BBT hasn't jumped anything (except up in the ratings!) And Sheldon spanking Amy was not even in the same ballpark as the Fonz on skis.
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    I don't really like Amy, I hardly ever find her scenes funny. I know she's supposed to be almost a female Sheldon (and at first she was), but I just find her creepy. Leonard's mum is a female Sheldon and she's very funny (in fact I think it's about time both her and Sheldon's mum visited again).
    He did keep spraying his hands with an antibac spray, and he does take his agreements (both roommate and relationship) very seriously.
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    D'you know what's actually jumped the shark? The phrase 'jumping the shark'. Even when it started, it was always a pretty vague concept - essentially that the writers of a show had run out of ideas within it's usual parameters and so came up with a gimmick or completely changed an aspect of the show in an effort to keep people watching.

Over the years though, it's essentially watered down to a generic description used when a show is perceived as decreasing in quality. And sometimes, as is this case, it can also be applied to a scene that people don't like.

So, no, BBT hasn't jumped anything (except up in the ratings!) And Sheldon spanking Amy was not even in the same ballpark as the Fonz on skis.
    Very true.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leonard's mum is a female Sheldon and she's very funny (in fact I think it's about time both her and Sheldon's mum visited again).

Leonard's mum is great, it would be good to see an episode where both mums meet.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is an episode of TBBT on at the moment, and Sheldon wore a onesie so that he could wear a 2nd hand Tux.

They really do write him inconsistently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »

Exactly. People use the term as a "catch all" nowadays without actually considering what it actually means. Rather than say "I thought that was a bit rubbish" or "I didn't find that funny", they'll think they're being "edgy" by asking if it's jumped the shark.
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member

Agree with this. The heart of the show was always really Sheldon and Penny with the duo of Raj and Howard for the laughs... thats why I watched, nothing to do with Leonard really, he is just the straight man, and I find the relationship with Leonard and Penny very dull, same for Amy and Sheldon. Leonard was much better with Leslie Winkle (name I cant remember exactly).
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    http://www.tvguide.com/jumptheshark

In these terms the answer is definitely "NO".

However taking the "They did it" category, if Sheldon and Amy sleep together then probably yes.
    Obviously if Amy has sex with Ted McGinley then definitely Yes

Interesting that since the "Alien Parasite Hypothesis" when Amy was sexually stimulated by meeting Zack she has developed more "female desires".
    Sheldon, in that episode, tried to get Zack to "perform coitus" on Amy for her benefit.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulfam1 wrote: »
    I don't understand why these one off 'debates' cant be held in the shows respective UK/US threads.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1759300 - UK speed

...as the title of the thread offers spoilers for those of us who havent yet caught up or are behind on a few episodes.

Once it's aired, it's no longer a spoiler. If somebody hasn't caught up, that's their look out.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He didn't do it willingly - but he had signed up to it in the relationship agreement, so as she would have to look after him when he was sick.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Didn't bother me.

IF anything it was more jarring to me that he was wearing a sober suit instead of a clown one in that ep.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Jenzen wrote: »
    Agree with this. The heart of the show was always really Sheldon and Penny with the duo of Raj and Howard for the laughs... thats why I watched, nothing to do with Leonard really, he is just the straight man, and I find the relationship with Leonard and Penny very dull, same for Amy and Sheldon. Leonard was much better with Leslie Winkle (name I cant remember exactly).
    Same here. I was at it best with the original characters. Leonard, Sheldon and Penny as the main cast. Howard and Raj as background characters. Especially as there are many scenes where Penny is eating with the gang and one can't talk. They got some good stuff out of that with Howard being the creepy one but also feeling superior to Raj and communiting for him.

I know a show has to move on but I think they went too far with not only bringing in Amy & Bernadette but also giving Raj and Howard more prominence.