Chinese takeaway

monkinomonkino Posts: 781
Forum Member
✭✭
I am willing to accept that it my just be my perception, but has anyone else felt that the quality of Chinese takeaways has deteriorated over the past 10-15 years?

I am not just talking about a specific restaurant, or restaurants in a specific area (I have lived all over, not just London and outside) but I have travelled across the UK and have experienced the quality reducing quite a bit.

For example, the chicken does not taste or feel much like chicken, the soups taste very synthetic, and many of the other dishes feel like poor quality, and pre-cooked elsewhere and just heated up.

Might just be, but wondered if other people felt the same?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tastes change also as you get oldr over 10 - 15 years.

I'm not a huge fan of Chinese takeaway and never have been. It has always been chock full of monosodiumwhatsits.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stick to my local takeaway.. its literally next to me and I know they cook everything in there and get their meat from the local buther and can honestly say its just as good as it was 20 years ago, I have been to a few chinese buffets and I had to leave the chicken it was horrible ( soft and squidgy eww)
  • monkinomonkino Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tastes change also as you get oldr over 10 - 15 years.

I'm not a huge fan of Chinese takeaway and never have been. It has always been chock full of monosodiumwhatsits.

You could be right!
  • monkinomonkino Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curvybabes wrote: »
    I stick to my local takeaway.. its literally next to me and I know they cook everything in there and get their meat from the local buther and can honestly say its just as good as it was 20 years ago, I have been to a few chinese buffets and I had to leave the chicken it was horrible ( soft and squidgy eww)

I agree about the chicken I have had! Too squidgy!
  • indywindyw Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    I avoid the takeaways that serve the "squeaky chicken". There are 2 local good ones who use real chicken so I'm fairly happy :)
  • Johnnys ArcadeJohnnys Arcade Posts: 4,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone once told me that a lot of the lower quality Chinese takeaway shops soak proper chicken in a substance known as "Lie Water" which causes the chicken meat to at least double in size because some chemical that is added to the water causes the meat to absorb a large quantity of water. Disgusting!
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Chinese food isn't filling, which is probably due to the amount of chemicals they use.
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The chinese takeaways around here are dire, over-priced too. Only thing we like are the banana fritters. Indian restaurants are far better in quality from a personal point of view. As a kid, my pals and I found 5 dead Mullet, lying, washed up on the bank of a local river, took them to the nearest chinese takeaway where they paid us cash for the rotting fish. Lovely, kept us in Kensitas Club **** for a week. :eek:
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    Chinese food isn't filling, which is probably due to the amount of chemicals they use.

I think they are really filling, ours does me (small meal) and the kids and then usually enough for a meal for me again the next day, i have ibs though so cant eat a large meal all ay once,
  • cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chinese chips do not taste the same as they used to, nowhere near as good, not round here anyway. I hardly get Chinese now, that MSG kills me. Last one i had was Christmas eve, beef in oyster sauce, it was poor, beef was thin and rubbish quality, too much bleedin carrot as well (who wants carrot in a flippin takeaway?). I nearly took it back but couldn't be bothered.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with most Chinese take aways is that they all have the same generic, bland gloopy sauce. Really vile. I haven't had a Chinese take away in years for this very reason.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    The meat is never good in Chinese places, I think it's because it's boiled before it's fried, the prawns and duck are okay though.

If you get lemon chicken or pork dumplings the meat is okay though (but being battered it's less heathy).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Most of them I have tasted seem to use that weird chicken.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,839
    Forum Member

The food from mine is, perhaps you should try a different one.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,839
    Forum Member
    Mine now does salt and pepper chips and chilli & garlic fried rice which are the best things ever, so no I disagree they have got worse.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of Chinese takeaways that now seem to be fish and chip shops with the Chinese as a sideline. A lot do use that dodgy chicken which is just reformed meat.
    All the Chinese takeaways near me in MK are pretty poor, but i have a friend who lives near Towcester and his local (Happy Garden) is very good... so good that i now happily drive 12.5 miles to it to get Chinese whenever we want it.
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of them I have tasted seem to use that weird chicken.

Cat :eek:
  • Oliver Loxton-POliver Loxton-P Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daisiesfan wrote: »
    Cat :eek:

It tends to be beef they pass that off as. The meat is quite similar.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    It's rubbery whether you get chicken or beef I think, the charsiu pork is usually better I think.
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to work for a company that supplied the Chinese takeaways and Restaurants.

Not many of them used 100% chicken, most of them used 80% as it was far cheaper than the 100%, the lowest grade stuff we sold was 65% and believe me quite a few takeaways used this!

Beef, Pork, Duck and Prawns were all 100% so that was all I ever ate from them.

MSG was delivered weekly in 25KG bags:eek:
    Forum Member
    The food from mine is, perhaps you should try a different one.

It seems to be a common view that chinese food isn't filling with all that MSG.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems to be a common view that chinese food isn't filling with all that MSG.

Our Chinese takeaway can feed 8 of us for £15 so I can't really agree that it's not filling.
  • Richard_HarmerRichard_Harmer Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    I used to love a bit of roast duck from the takeaway, but now I usually only have roast chicken from the takeaway, as the roast duck for me now tastes too chewy to be of any taste to me! :(
    Forum Member
    Our Chinese takeaway can feed 8 of us for £15 so I can't really agree that it's not filling.

The acid test is whether you're hungry half an hour later, simply eating it all doesn't mean it fills you up properly.
  • Johnnys ArcadeJohnnys Arcade Posts: 4,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The acid test is whether you're hungry half an hour later, simply eating it all doesn't mean it fills you up properly.

Exactly. Chicken pumped full of water & chemicals may seem to fill you up, but not really as it is 50% water!