Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Conniej wrote: »
    I agree that he was talking about emotional constipation. At least that's what I always thought he meant.

During the drunken scene he was talking about emotional constipation but when he asked for the glycerin suppositories that is the thought that went through my mind. Circles, circles, circles.
    Forum Member
    BodminDM wrote: »
    I didn't find that the Doc lost his temper with Louisa. Even when he broke his Venitian glass tumbler, his coffee machine (even when it wasn't broken, but he must have believed it would be for a moment) and not even when she defiantly munched her chocolate digestives.
    I second your statement about Lousia, but I definetly hope if things settle, she'll be alright.

Well, I guess even-tempered was not a good phrase - you are right he did not get mad - he just withdrew, and many posters thought he came off really angry. I did not - I thought he was more like a deer in the headlights
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    looks like the green jacket is standard issue for the cast - protection from the cold - Clair bloom, MC and CC each wearing one.

The link in this thread did not take me to a photo of anyone in a green jacket and Claire Bloom was no where in sight.
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Here's another photo, with a dog on the porch of the surgery. Nice one too!

There's that green jacket, Shop Girl.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200606987750619&set=gm.10151718825051660&type=1&theater

This is another closed group so not everyone can see the photos.
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    The link in this thread did not take me to a photo of anyone in a green jacket and ????? was no where in sight.

The link takes you to a pic with MC talking to a fans dog. You have to click left (hover your mouse on the left side of the pic) to see the other DM pictures or just click on 'Back to album' under 'Timeline photos'. There are 17 DM photos including the spoiler one.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow. Sounds like life imitating art. Wonder if any of the DVDs were delivered inside jellies?
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Wow. Sounds like life imitating art. Wonder if any of the DVDs were delivered inside jellies?

Very good! My thought exactly!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by BodminDM View Post
    I didn't find that the Doc lost his temper with Louisa. Even when he broke his Venitian glass tumbler, his coffee machine (even when it wasn't broken, but he must have believed it would be for a moment) and not even when she defiantly munched her chocolate digestives.
    I second your statement about Lousia, but I definetly hope if things settle, she'll be alright.
    Well, I guess even-tempered was not a good phrase - you are right he did not get mad - he just withdrew, and many posters thought he came off really angry. I did not - I thought he was more like a deer in the headlights

Okay, so I've not been very active lately, but as I did the S5 rewatch, I kept a chart for Martin and Louisa of what I called "Nice", "Neutral", or "Not Nice" talk with each other. So here I'm finally revealing my count episode by episode. Let me say that each of us may have counted certain sentences in a different category and I did my best to sort through the fast and furious conversations they sometimes had, I may have ended up with a miscount. But just can't bear to do it again to check at this time. But this is how the numbers came down.

S5 E1 Martin: Nice 17 Neutral 36 Not Nice 10 Louisa: Nice 27 Neutral 26 Not Nice 4

S5 E2 Martin: Nice 11 Neutral 27 Not Nice 10 Louisa: Nice 13 Neutral 32 Not Nice 4

S5 E3 Martin: Nice 5 Neutral 15 Not Nice 0 Louisa: Nice 4 Neutral 15 Not Nice 5

S5 E4 Martin: Nice 7 Neutral 20 Not Nice 2 Louisa: Nice 12 Neutral 14 Not Nice 9

S5 E5 Martin: Nice 8 Neutral 38 Not Nice 7 Louisa: Nice 15 Neutral 21 Not Nice 20

S5 E6 Martin: Nice 21 Neutral 52 Not Nice 26 Louisa: Nice 12 Neutral 46 Not Nice 45

S5 E7 Martin: Nice 22 Neutral 1 Not Nice 5 Louisa: Nice 27 Neutral 0 Not Nice 3

S5 E8 Martin: Nice 24 Neutral 6 Not Nice 3 Louisa: Nice 14 Neutral 15 Not Nice 8

Draw your own conclusions from unscientific observational data gathering, as you will.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, so I've not been very active lately, but as I did the S5 rewatch, I kept a chart for Martin and Louisa of what I called "Nice", "Neutral", or "Not Nice" talk with each other. So here I'm finally revealing my count episode by episode. Let me say that each of us may have counted certain sentences in a different category and I did my best to sort through the fast and furious conversations they sometimes had, I may have ended up with a miscount. But just can't bear to do it again to check at this time. But this is how the numbers came down.

S5 E1 Martin: Nice 17 Neutral 36 Not Nice 10 Louisa: Nice 27 Neutral 26 Not Nice 4

S5 E2 Martin: Nice 11 Neutral 27 Not Nice 10 Louisa: Nice 13 Neutral 32 Not Nice 4

S5 E3 Martin: Nice 5 Neutral 15 Not Nice 0 Louisa: Nice 4 Neutral 15 Not Nice 5

S5 E4 Martin: Nice 7 Neutral 20 Not Nice 2 Louisa: Nice 12 Neutral 14 Not Nice 9

S5 E5 Martin: Nice 8 Neutral 38 Not Nice 7 Louisa: Nice 15 Neutral 21 Not Nice 20

S5 E6 Martin: Nice 21 Neutral 52 Not Nice 26 Louisa: Nice 12 Neutral 46 Not Nice 45

S5 E7 Martin: Nice 22 Neutral 1 Not Nice 5 Louisa: Nice 27 Neutral 0 Not Nice 3

S5 E8 Martin: Nice 24 Neutral 6 Not Nice 3 Louisa: Nice 14 Neutral 15 Not Nice 8

Draw your own conclusions from unscientific observational data gathering, as you will.:)

Wow Susie - great research! So you counted sentences in their conversations? Very scientific! And it seems to verify what we could see, that the nastiness reached its zenith in E6. Let me do some calculations with these numbers.

I felt in S5 that Martin did a lot of changing and that Louisa didn't seem to notice. But there was plenty of blame to go around :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow Susie - great research! So you counted sentences in their conversations? Very scientific! And it seems to verify what we could see, that the nastiness reached its zenith in E6. Let me do some calculations with these numbers.

I felt in S5 that Martin did a lot of changing and that Louisa didn't seem to notice. But there was plenty of blame to go around :D

I tried to tally sentence by sentence, but may have occasionally gotten a cluster of sentences counted as one, when they all were of the same tone. That's why I'm saying there is def room for error to some degree.

I agree with your statement re S5. Sorry, back to the medicine cabinet. And then S1 E1 comes on on our local PBS in 12 min. So I'll hope that adds distraction along with the meds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried to tally sentence by sentence, but may have occasionally gotten a cluster of sentences counted as one, when they all were of the same tone. That's why I'm saying there is def room for error to some degree.

I agree with your statement re S5. Sorry, back to the medicine cabinet. And then S1 E1 comes on on our local PBS in 12 min. So I'll hope that adds distraction along with the meds.

Oh - sorry for all your pain! Hope it will be easing soon, but glad you found this distraction.

Since I am a numbers/math person (along with spatial stuff - not a creative bone in my body!), I threw your numbers into a spreadsheet and did some calculations. The number in parenthesis is the # of counts Susie made in that episode. I bolded Martin's lines to make it easier to compare. So, in the end, Martin was not nice 16.9% of S5, while Louisa was not nice 25.1% :eek: Here you go:

E1 Martin (63) 15.9% not nice (series so far: 15.9%)
    E1 Louisa (57) 7.0% not nice (series so far: 7.0%)
    E2 Martin (48) 20.8% not nice (series so far: 18.0%)
    E2 Louisa (49) 8.2% not nice (series so far: 7.5%)
    E3 Martin (20) 0.0% not nice (series so far: 15.3%)
    E3 Louisa (24) 20.8% not nice (series so far: 10.0%)
    E4 Martin (29) 6.9% not nice (series so far: 13.8%)
    E4 Louisa (35) 25.7% not nice (series so far: 13.3%)
    E5 Martin (53) 13.2% not nice (series so far: 13.6%)
    E5 Louisa (56) 35.7% not nice (series so far: 19.0%)
    E6 Martin (99) 26.3% not nice (series so far: 17.6%)
    E6 Louisa (103) 43.7% not nice (series so far: 26.9%)
    E7 Martin (28) 17.9% not nice (series so far: 17.6%)
    E7 Louisa (30) 10.0% not nice (series so far: 25.4%)
    E8 Martin (33) 9.1% not nice (series so far: 16.9%)
    E8 Louisa (37) 21.6% not nice (series so far: 25.1%)
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yes, immobilized, with Louisa increasingly agitated. Like a dance -- he withdraws, she get's agitated, he withdraws more, she's more upset with him, in a worsening spiral
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is actually a fanfic story called The Visitor in which Margaret returns b/c her Portuguese lover has ditched her. Written by Portwenn Hydra. She doesn't much like Louisa
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    There is actually a fanfic story called The Visitor in which Margaret returns b/c her Portuguese lover has ditched her. Written by Portwenn Hydra. She doesn't much like Louisa

You know, those coats were all the rage when I was about 18. They were army surplus and very warm. MC wore his during "A Man and His Dogs" when he was socializing with the wolves so he likes them. You're right..maybe they keep a supply. Seems like it's been a cold rainy spring over there.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/SPOILER]
    "Don't know if its been mentioned yet (probably has, haven't caught up properly with the posts yet), but the doc's mom is back in town !!"

This is a quote from someone who spends quite a bit of time in PI.
    Has any one actually seen a photo of Claire Bloom on the set? If so, could you post the link? I am so blown away by this news.

Has anyone you all from this forum who have visited PI ever met this gentleman who provided this spoiler?
    Forum Member
    The link takes you to a pic with MC talking to a fans dog. You have to click left (hover your mouse on the left side of the pic) to see the other DM pictures or just click on 'Back to album' under 'Timeline photos'. There are 17 DM photos including the spoiler one.

Worked this over and over but could not make it work (even before my comment)- finally had to just log onto FB and go to the photogs page and then could see the photos. If I had not seen the spoiler, not sure I would have recognized Claire Bloom. This is quite a plot puzzler. I can't imagine that the Doc wrote to her as someone speculated nor can I imagine her being the least bit interested in JH. Gotta be a money thing.
    Forum Member
    Oh - sorry for all your pain! Hope it will be easing soon, but glad you found this distraction.

Since I am a numbers/math person (along with spatial stuff - not a creative bone in my body!), I threw your numbers into a spreadsheet and did some calculations. The number in parenthesis is the # of counts Susie made in that episode. I bolded Martin's lines to make it easier to compare. So, in the end, Martin was not nice 16.9% of S5, while Louisa was not nice 25.1% :eek: Here you go:

But the real question is, was that a higher percentage than usual for the Doc? I suspect not although I am not ready to do a spreadsheet of it.
    Forum Member
    Of all the harbours...S1E5

My absolute LEAST favorite episode - I just cannot stand John Slater, but, a couple of things stuck out for me in this episode (I comment, as this was on my local PBS last night)

1. It is where I got my name - Doc says young Melanie is besotted with him, I actually had forgotten this part of that ep. I liked the Doc's reaction to this teenage crush. And of course, his beloved Mary had a cameo.

2. Stephanie Cole was 62 , John Alderton 63, when this ep was shot. I found myself thinking how old she looked in this ep and so I looked the two of them up. Born in '41 and '40 respectively - ep shot in early 2004. As I am right in this age range - she still looks old to me in this first series. Granted, I am not above a little injectable now and then but she looked well past that type of small effort.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of all the harbours...S1E5

My absolute LEAST favorite episode - I just cannot stand John Slater, but, a couple of things stuck out for me in this episode (I comment, as this was on my local PBS last night)

1. It is where I got my name - Doc says young Melanie is besotted with him, I actually had forgotten this part of that ep. I liked the Doc's reaction to this teenage crush. And of course, his beloved Mary had a cameo.

2. Stephanie Cole was 62 , John Alderton 63, when this ep was shot. I found myself thinking how old she looked in this ep and so I looked the two of them up. Born in '41 and '40 respectively - ep shot in early 2004. As I am right in this age range - she still looks old to me in this first series. Granted, I am not above a little injectable now and then but she looked well past that type of small effort.

I've just heard the word "besotted" used on Coronation Street, too. And in other things, too. Seems like fairly normal usage word.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The village rallied around Louisa.

I'm not so sure the village fully "rallied" around LG. They accepted her pregnancy, which was lovely and very kind of her and let her teach their kids--unlike the more judgmental London school. But, they didn't really as a whole think she'd do that well as a single mom. How many villagers told her how tough it would be, and offered their husbands to help her? They made her more insecure of her competence in the reality of the truth of her upcoming single mom situation. It's odd that that still do not stimulate LG to be more proactive with finding baby sitting, for example.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks Shopgirl for crunching those numbers. I've wanted to do more analysis on them but my mind just isn't up to it right now. You rock!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to acknowledge the intelligence CC brings to her roles. Of course, she is beautiful and has great comedic timing, but I think it's her intelligence that shows through in DM and in other roles I have seen her in. Are there other qualities she brings to her acting that should be mentioned? What is it that is exceptional about her?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    Okay, so I've not been very active lately, but as I did the S5 rewatch, I kept a chart for Martin and Louisa of what I called "Nice", "Neutral", or "Not Nice" talk with each other.

It seems while Martin adjusts slowly to the "family thing", Louisa gets more and more stressed. Probably because Louisa underestimated the work a baby would bring and it dawns on her what a huge tasks lies ahead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I'm not so sure the village fully "rallied" around LG. They accepted her pregnancy, which was lovely and very kind of her and let her teach their kids--unlike the more judgmental London school. But, they didn't really as a whole think she'd do that well as a single mom. How many villagers told her how tough it would be, and offered their husbands to help her? They made her more insecure of her competence in the reality of the truth of her upcoming single mom situation. It's odd that that still do not stimulate LG to be more proactive with finding baby sitting, for example.

Maybe the village simply knew Louisa well enough to know that she is not organised enough to handle both job and baby, Besides, that what villages do - offer help. I always assumed that the village was used to help Louisa, given the parents she had.
This discussion has been closed.