DVD via USB cable??

Hi folks. I have just purchased a 2nd hand panasonic tv. The tv comes with HDMI & USB ports and a port that panasonics very own cable will fit which on the other end of the cable would be the yellow, red and white pins. unfortunately this special panasonic cable has not come with the tv.

My DVD player only has the port for the 3 coloured pins. So, if i purchased a '3 pin to USB cable' and plugged my dvd player (3 pins) to USB to tv, would this play my DVD player to tv?

Have I made this confusing? Basically can I get video from video, audio pins to USB on my tv?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    No, I think you'll have to find a way to buy one of the breakout cables separately. Or failing that, get an HDMI-equppied DVD or Blu-Ray Player; costly though it may be, it might be the only way without getting the breakout cables - the TV's software isn't going to recognise a USB device as an input.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    TVPaulD wrote: »
    No, I think you'll have to find a way to buy one of the breakout cables separately. Or failing that, get an HDMI-equppied DVD or Blu-Ray Player; costly though it may be, it might be the only way without getting the breakout cables - the TV's software isn't going to recognise a USB device as an input.

Just as I thought. Thanks very much!!
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your DVD player will (almost certainly) have SCART output in which case something like this is required for the TV
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Panasonic-K1HY20YY0011-Socket-Adapter/dp/B00B5UIU38
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    matt26200 wrote: »
    Hi folks. I have just purchased a 2nd hand panasonic tv. The tv comes with HDMI & USB ports and a port that panasonics very own cable will fit which on the other end of the cable would be the yellow, red and white pins. unfortunately this special panasonic cable has not come with the tv.

My DVD player only has the port for the 3 coloured pins. So, if i purchased a '3 pin to USB cable' and plugged my dvd player (3 pins) to USB to tv, would this play my DVD player to tv?

Have I made this confusing? Basically can I get video from video, audio pins to USB on my tv?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    There is no cable that can possibly convert analogue audio and video into a digital format for USB. You need some electronics in the middle to do the conversion.

Such things exist for PC use but they require drivers and software to be installed on said PC to make them work. Something that is impossible to do on a TV as it is not designed to work that way. And it is very unlikely it has appropriate drivers and software built into it's firmware.

The best solution would be a new player with HDMI which need not be that expensive. For example if you have a Richersounds store nearby then you can get a decent enough Sony Blu-Ray player for fifty quid.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/sony/bdps185-film-pack/sony-bdps185-discs