What kind of a format would you like to see this series?

hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
Forum Member
I wonder if they will keep the structure the same for the fourth year running? I personally would like to see something like this.

Week 1 - (14) Waltz or Cha Cha. One eliminated.
Week 2 - (13) Foxtrot or Salsa. One eliminated.
Week 3 - (12) Quickstep or Rumba. One eliminated.
Week 4 - (11) Tango or Jive. One eliminated.
Week 5 - (10) Viennese Waltz or Paso Doble. One eliminated.
Week 6 - (9) American Smooth, Samba, Argentine Tango or Charleston. One eliminated.
Week 7 - (8) Wembley Week. One unlearned dance. One eliminated.
Week 8 - (7) Movie Week. One unlearned dance. One eliminated.
Week 9 - (6) Team Week (like DOI). One unlearned dance and team dance. One eliminated.
Week 10 - (5) Two unlearned dances. One eliminated.
Week 11 - (4) Two unlearned dances. Two eliminated.
Week 12 - (2) Favourite ballroom and latin. Judge's choice. Showdance. Winner crowned.

What are evryone else's preferences? :)

Comments

• StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Two dances per week until week six and three couples in the final.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep the AT until the quarter-finals - don't expect some couples to dance it within their first few weeks.
  • CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    1) Definitely bring back just two dances per week until at least Week 6.
    2) No elimination in Week 1 - I like how they now get a chance to do one of each.
    3) Get rid of the Charleston so that all 10 traditional dances have been danced by the finalists.
    4) Replace the show dance with the dance fusion.
    5) I didn't like last year how the Cha Cha Cha was danced by everyone within the first four weeks - dances need to be balanced out throughout the series.
    6) No more than two theme nights per series and don't bother with Wembly or Blackpool.
    7) Last year was significantly better than 2011 in terms of less stupid comedy VTs and props - hope this continues.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) At least for first few week, couples should have same dances i.e. waltz or cha, and no elimination until they have danced both.

2) All 10 standard dances should be danced before they bring in other more gimmicky dances such as salsa or AT.

3) All dances should be danced at the correct speed. No more slow motion Viennese Waltzs or quicksteps - it amounts to cheating.

4) Props to be limited to one night only; make it a "props" week when everyone has to use them as they do on Dancing on Ice.

5) No more Wembley - definitely no more Wembley!

6) On finals night, the Showdance to be danced by all 3 finalists before an elimination is made.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any without Bruce.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any without Bruce.

That as well, but alas it's already been arranged! :(
  • essexboyashessexboyash Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CloneClown wrote: »
    1) Definitely bring back just two dances per week until at least Week 6.
    2) No elimination in Week 1 - I like how they now get a chance to do one of each.
    3) Get rid of the Charleston so that all 10 traditional dances have been danced by the finalists.
    4) Replace the show dance with the dance fusion.
    5) I didn't like last year how the Cha Cha Cha was danced by everyone within the first four weeks - dances need to be balanced out throughout the series.
    6) No more than two theme nights per series and don't bother with Wembly or Blackpool.
    7) Last year was significantly better than 2011 in terms of less stupid comedy VTs and props - hope this continues.

Pretty much agree with all of this. Although I don't mind if they keep the Charleston. And I'm not fussed either way if they do Blackpool/Wembley either, I wouldn't mind if they kept it but its not something I'd kick up a stink over if they ditched it. Although I think if they do have to do one, Blackpool works better than Wembley

Also totally agree on the silly VTs etc.

Definitely liked the introduction of the fusion last series

And definitely a final with 3 couples as opposed to 2 or 4
  • Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Similar to Series 1-4 but no eliminations until second week.

Three couples in final.

On Final night, clear 2nd/3rd place unlike last year.
  • pabirdpabird Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    agree with much above reference the dance format but one other serious change please in presentation

Find a genuine mode of comedy that adds to the dance programme and dispense with the inane "this is them in training" and instruct Bruce to stick to introductions only avoiding his awful unfunny "prepared jokes"
  • pabirdpabird Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry I stuttered
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    In the results show Bring back a volunteer former contestant to dance a dance they didn't get to do or one that wasn't in the series when they did it. IE tonight Claudia I'll be dancing the ................
    And in the Final get Zoe and Ian back on the Dance floor.
    Would keep dance fusion. And keep It takes two and red button the same. Maybe have Zoe with Karen Hardy for the Final.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angela F wrote: »
    Similar to Series 1-4 but no eliminations until second week.

Three couples in final.

On Final night, clear 2nd/3rd place unlike last year.

Agreed.
  • sambadansambadan Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Key Features:
    1. Abolition of all themed weeks such as Halloween week and Hollywood week.
    2. Dump Wembley as a venue.
    3. Change of format to the following:

Week 1: All couples complete 2 dances i.e Salsa and Viennese Waltz over 2 nights (Friday and Saturday)
    1 couple eliminated
    Week 2: All couples complete Waltz OR a Cha cha cha.
    1 couple eliminated
    Week 3: All couples complete a Tango OR a Paso Doble
    1 couple eliminated.
    Week 4: All couples complete a Quickstep OR a Jive
    1 couple eliminated
    Week five: All couples complete either an American Smooth OR a Samba
    1 couple eliminated
    Week six: All couples complete a Foxtrot OR a Rumba
    1 couple eliminated
    Week seven: All remaining couples complete the reverse dance not done in week 2 i.e a Waltz or a Cha cha cha.
    1 couple eliminated
    Week eight: All couples complete reverse dance not done in week 3 i.e Tango or Paso Doble.
    1 couple eliminated
    Week nine: All couples complete reverse dance not done in week 4 i.e Quickstep or Jive
    1 couple eliminated
    Week ten: All couples complete reverse dance not done in week 5 i.e American Smooth OR a Samba.
    They also complete a Charleston.
    1 couple eliminated
    Week eleven - Semi Final: All couples complete reverse dance not done in week 6 i.e Foxtrot OR a Rumba.
    They also complete an Argentine Tango.
    1 couple eliminated.
    Week Twelve - THE FINAL.
    All three remaining couples complete 3 routines
    1. Their highest scoring dance of the series (in order to fine tune it to obtain or repeat a perfect score)
    2. Their lowest scoring dance of the series (in order to maximise potential for improvement)
    3. Showdance lasting 2 minutes and not 90 seconds.
    If the couples have joint lowest or highest scoring dances they may choose between them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    I once read how in the US they had this thing where the contestants got limited time to prepare a dance - something along 1 hour I thought.
    I think that would be interesting to see, since Chelsee for example had much less training time than others, and Michael previous season much more

. If they just do that in the finale for example except the showdance I think it could be very interesting - And they have multiple dances without the quality going down.

Furthermore:
    No 'comedy' training clips, I don't mind the ones in ITT but not durning the show.
    No mismatched pairings qua lenght - or as little as possible.
    No Wembley - Can't remember Blackpool so don't know.
    KEEP Movie night, though maybe an addition that tv-series are also allowed, and KEEP Halloween night. Many of my favourite dances come from those theme nights.
    No props, except maybe for a prop-night as previously discussed.
    A final with just 2 couples. No eliminations till everyone had the chance to dance one latin and one ballroom.
    Keep the charleston - I love that dance :p

And Repeat the worst-scoring dance in the final. With judges and dancers favourite you can hardly see a difference if you don't know much about dance
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would move the AT back to the semi finals and by the time the final is over, the dancers in it must have danced all of the traditional 10 ballroom and latin dances. If dancers have skipped some dances it doesn't make for a fair comparison.
    Also make the showdance the final dance of the series. It makes no sense in its current place in the final.
    Definitely get rid of the theme nights, especially Halloween (my personal bugbear for shoehorning dances to inappropriate music) and never hold it at Wembley. Blackpool is the home of ballroom dancing and I just like them taking the show there. Also if they must hold it at Wembley, get rid of that stupid podium in the middle of the stage!

Edit: oh and it is only fair that everyone dances a ballroom and a latin before they are eliminated.
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In more or less descending order of importance I would change the following from the last series :

1. Reveal who finished in 2nd/3rd sodding place
    2. Only have 3 couples in the final
    3. Double elimination in the semis
    4. Get rid of the dance-off again
    5. Kill Fusion Week by repeatedly smacking it in the head with a half-brick
    6. Replace Wembley with Blackpool again
    7. With the Showdances either go the whole USA "supersize" hog and have fireworks, marching bands and the entire set of Run The Risk on stage, or strip things back to dancing. The current flaming hoop/dinky glitter bucket/giant polystyrene globe set-up is too much of a halfway house and comes across as amateurish.
    8. Either get rid of the Charleston or be a bit more critical of it. From Wembley to the final a Charleston was either top of the leaderboard or second EVERY SINGLE WEEK. It was stupid and repetitive. Nicky Byrne should not have been scoring 36, ever. Kimberley Walsh deserved 10s for a number of dances but not for wobbly cartwheels and making goggle-fingers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of all I would like to see them dump American Smooth.

1) Because very few of the pros know what American Smooth actually is, proven by them trying to dance an "American Smooth Quickstep" which is non-existent, and looks stupid.

2) Because they already incorporate "Smooth" into all the ballroom dances by doing out-of-hold moves, etc.
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree mostly with Kaycee and Sambadan in terms of dance all 10 standard dances first then introduce the AT, Salsa or Charleston.
    I don't see the point of the Fusion dance as its half of 2 other dances joined together.
    Agree with Monkseal on getting rid of the dance-off.

I do think a couple of themed weeks may be necessary to add variety.

Make them DANCE the ACTUAL DANCE for 90 seconds. Add 20 seconds for an intro or exit which isn't considered part of the dance.

The chances of this happening I would say are very close to zero.
  • Daisy19Daisy19 Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    In more or less descending order of importance I would change the following from the last series :

Totally agree! What possible reason did they have for not revealing it? made no sense at all :confused:
  • Dilly 1Dilly 1 Posts: 39,906
    Forum Member

2. Only have 3 couples in the final
    3. Double elimination in the semis
    4. Get rid of the dance-off again
    5. Kill Fusion Week by repeatedly smacking it in the head with a half-brick
    6. Replace Wembley with Blackpool again
    7. With the Showdances either go the whole USA "supersize" hog and have fireworks, marching bands and the entire set of Run The Risk on stage, or strip things back to dancing. The current flaming hoop/dinky glitter bucket/giant polystyrene globe set-up is too much of a halfway house and comes across as amateurish.
    8. Either get rid of the Charleston or be a bit more critical of it. From Wembley to the final a Charleston was either top of the leaderboard or second EVERY SINGLE WEEK. It was stupid and repetitive. Nicky Byrne should not have been scoring 36, ever. Kimberley Walsh deserved 10s for a number of dances but not for wobbly cartwheels and making goggle-fingers.

Fusion week is one of the weeks I DO want back. One of my favourite weeks from last year and I liked them all. :o
  • hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I disagree to those who say the dance-off should go. It brings a bit of tension and excitement to the results show.
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree to those who say the dance-off should go. It brings a bit of tension and excitement to the results show.

Maybe that says something about the results show?
    I found that it wasn't worth watching in recent years and looked up the spoiler on Saturday night.

I may have missed the occasional something worth watching, but you can catch up on iPlayer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dance-off IMO robs the results show of tension by making eliminations that could feasibly go either way based on audience scores a foregone conclusion because it's obvious who the judges is going to pick as "better".

Johnny vs Richard
    Jerry vs Michael
    Richard vs Nicky
    Victoria vs Michael
    Michael vs Nicky
    Nicky vs Denise

Last series alone, all 6 of those could have been nail-biters, but with the judges in charge in each case it was 100% obvious who was going home before a single step was taken.
  • hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    The dance-off IMO robs the results show of tension by making eliminations that could feasibly go either way based on audience scores a foregone conclusion because it's obvious who the judges is going to pick as "better".

Johnny vs Richard
    Jerry vs Michael
    Richard vs Nicky
    Victoria vs Michael
    Michael vs Nicky
    Nicky vs Denise

Last series alone, all 6 of those could have been nail-biters, but with the judges in charge in each case it was 100% obvious who was going home before a single step was taken.

Johnny vs Richard, Jerry vs Michael, Victoria vs Michael and Michael vs Nicky could all have gone either way. Just as Richard beat Colin in Week 5 against all odds...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnny was 74, had real problems remembering the routines, had little potential for improvement, and was paired with an (at the time) temporary pro. Jerry was 56, had no potential at all, arguably had an attitude problem, and clearly wasn't pulling in the "big name" votes she was supposed to get. Neither of them would have been saved in the dance-off over anybody other than each other.

At the time of Victoria vs Michael, Michael had outscored her three out of the last four weeks, she'd been savaged by the judges two weeks in a row with Bruno openly saying that she couldn't dance at all, and she'd clearly mentally checked out. They weren't going to haul her through another week when she practically quit in the middle of her samba and never really came back.

Nicky vs Michael I would say was closest to a difficult decision, but Nicky was in the middle of a major underdog comeback story and Michael wasn't.

Obviously any dance-off theoretically "could go either way" if someone forgets the routine or falls over or whatever, but when has that ever happened? Nothing interesting ever happens in the dance-off. (Apart from when Erin's hair fell out)