What's the best smartphone to get at the moment?

barcajadenbarcajaden Posts: 1,072
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Need a new phone and currently have an iPhone 4s.

Due an upgrade......have ruled out the note 3 because it's way too big and the LG G2 because it's only 16gb....

Any recommendations?

Comments

• TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barcajaden wrote: »
    Need a new phone and currently have an iPhone 4s.

Due an upgrade......have ruled out the note 3 because it's way too big and the LG G2 because it's only 16gb....

Any recommendations?

HTC One 64GB?
  • barcajadenbarcajaden Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    HTC One 64GB?

HTC One is kinda old that's the thing

There is a new HTC One coming out early next year but i can't wait till then:(:confused:

So the only new phones out seem to be ....

LG G2 & Galaxy Note 3
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HTC One is kinda old that's the thing

There is a new HTC One coming out early next year but i can't wait till then:(:confused:

So the only new phones out seem to be ....

LG G2 & Galaxy Note 3

Do you want a good phone or just want to be seen with the latest phone? :cool:

If you don't like the G2 or Note 3, want the "best" smartphone (best at what exactly?) and can't wait you've got a limited choice.

iPhone 5s? Sony Z1? Nexus 5?

I'd recommend the Nexus 5 if 32GB is OK for you. Very powerful device. Only one glitch with the camera and that will be sorted in an update.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latest flagship device from second biggest Android manufacturer = "old"?

Man people really have high standards these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you want a good phone or just want to be seen with the latest phone? :cool:

If you don't like the G2 or Note 3, want the "best" smartphone (best at what exactly?) and can't wait you've got a limited choice.

iPhone 5s? Sony Z1? Nexus 5?

I'd recommend the Nexus 5 if 32GB is OK for you. Very powerful device. Only one glitch with the camera and that will be sorted in an update.

Hey you have a point

I am going on a contract and none of the providers sell the Nexus 5 on contract and I don't want to buy the phone outright...too much money in one go.

See the iPhone 5s was an option but tbh iPhones are just too expensive and I want a change from apple.....

My choices really are limited:( Not a fan of the Z1 either...dunno what to do:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Latest flagship device from second biggest Android manufacturer = "old"?

Man people really have high standards these days.

Oh by the fact that there is a new htc coming out soon....i read in another thread posters saying no point getting the htc one now but i really can't wait till next feb march for the new htc one as my current phone is falling apart:(
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Soon"? Everyone is bringing out a new phone "soon". If everyone didn't buy electronics because a new one was coming out "soon" nobody would ever buy anything.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    What's the best smartphone to get at the moment?

There is no answer to that because different smartphones are best to different people. For me, I like having the ability to customise the operating system's appearance. I like having access to a file manager, I like dragging and dropping files from my PC to my phone. I like having a removable battery, expandable memory and a physical hard button that can be pressed, taking you to the homescreen. Those are my preferences, so I would say the best smartphone is the latest Galaxy. My friends prefer the iPhone 5S.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Go onto a cheap SIM only deal when your contract is up
    2. Buy the Moto G (16GB) outright @£160 to tide you over until the New Year
    3. Sell the 4s to raise funds - someone WILL buy it if it still works, believe me
    4. Sell the Moto G in the New Year when the new HTC or Samsung Galaxy S5 come out and upgrade your contract to one of those

This has the added advantage of giving you a taster of Android too.

Job done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Go onto a cheap SIM only deal when your contract is up
    2. Buy the Moto G (16GB) outright @£160 to tide you over until the New Year
    3. Sell the 4s to raise funds - someone WILL buy it if it still works, believe me
    4. Sell the Moto G in the New Year when the new HTC or Samsung Galaxy S5 come out and upgrade your contract to one of those

This has the added advantage of giving you a taster of Android too.

Job done.

Hmmm that is one option i suppose....
    the htc one and s5 are out in march i think...damn long to wait!
    the only other option i have is to get the LG G2 which is 16gb:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    There is no answer to that because different smartphones are best to different people. For me, I like having the ability to customise the operating system's appearance. I like having access to a file manager, I like dragging and dropping files from my PC to my phone. I like having a removable battery, expandable memory and a physical hard button that can be pressed, taking you to the homescreen. Those are my preferences, so I would say the best smartphone is the latest Galaxy. My friends prefer the iPhone 5S.

The iPhone 5s was an option but its too expensive and i fancy a change tbh!

Good thing about iPhones though is that there phones hold value for a long period of time
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    "Soon"? Everyone is bringing out a new phone "soon". If everyone didn't buy electronics because a new one was coming out "soon" nobody would ever buy anything.

nah but the htc one is kinda old...new one coming out in march but i really want a new phone next week.....
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    could get one 2nd hand on ebay if you want one temporarily
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    could get one 2nd hand on ebay if you want one temporarily

hmm thinking about getting the htc one
  • Harry BoatHarry Boat Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    ....I am going on a contract and none of the providers sell the Nexus 5 on contract and I don't want to buy the phone outright...too much money in one go. ....

Three do it on contract:
    http://store.three.co.uk/view/product/ql_catalog/threecatdevice/2737;jsessionid=5FAB74F8B0AD0D7AC0C74D7306CEB9AE
  • Nick2008Nick2008 Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Do you mean the best smartphone available or the best smartphone for you?

Both are clearly subjective. The 1020 may not be the best spec'd smartphone available (not even close) but it's the best for me.

It depends on what is important to you. Camera, performance, apps/games, design (both OS and exterior), some people rate popularity as a reason to buy a phone so work out what floats your boat and fill your boots.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I can't believe barcajaden hasn't bought a phone yet :eek: How long has/she been looking? Months? :D
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry Boat wrote: »

At a cost of £457 when compared to sim only, Three really need to get their contract prices inline with sim only
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick2008 wrote: »

Both are clearly subjective. The 1020 may not be the best spec'd smartphone available (not even close) but it's the best for me.

It depends on what is important to you. Camera, performance, apps/games, design (both OS and exterior), some people rate popularity as a reason to buy a phone so work out what floats your boat and fill your boots.

Lumia 1520 is coming on 6th December, much better specs, but it's huuuge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick2008 wrote: »

Best smartphone to get on a 2 year contract

Was thinking LG G2 but its only 16gb...
    HTC One is old and there is a new one coming out.
    My options are kinda limited
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    I can't believe barcajaden hasn't bought a phone yet :eek: How long has/she been looking? Months? :D

Are you confusing me with another poster:eek:
  • sammyvinesammyvine Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the LG G2 supposed to be really good?