Is this a man or a woman????????????????

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,807
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    She looks like a woman who has taken steroids.

Had she been taking steroids to 'look' the way she does they'd know by now.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tribade wrote: »
    Had she been taking steroids to 'look' the way she does they'd know by now.

Depends which type she took and also when the test was in relation to when she took them. It's quite easy to pass drug tests and still take steroids, bodybuilders do it all the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onefineday wrote: »
    Intersex are among us. And they need loving too. :)
    Indeed. I hadn't considered it from that angle.

I was answering "yes" on the basis that it seemed to be the only logical answer as the person was either a man or a woman. I've had to rethink that now, damnit! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Castor Semenya was born a XXY Hermaphrodite, a rare genetic malfunction resulting in a person having non-specific gender alignment. It doesn't mean she has a willy. It means that some of her physical prowess may be due to the male aspects of the gender confusion asserting themselves growing up - like stronger muscles, endurance etc.

The poor girl will have to undergo blood tests, tissue samples, gender organ examination, pyschological testing, and a whole host of other tests to conclude the question of true sexual orientation.

It could, just could exclude her from ever taking part in female discipline events - and be labelled as neither a man or a woman in terms of athletic assignment within a games/competition aspect.

I feel sorry for her. But you can see why, after lastnights 800m final, that people are upset. She clearly left the whole field standing - without even breaking a sweat - and was only a second outside the world record. In 2008 she wasn't even within 9 seconds of that time. Or had ever been within 28 seconds of the 1500m times of this year.

It seems unfair, but rules are rules, and it's up to the ASF to go into it and check for certain that they KNOW who they are selecting to represent their country so that these things don't happen.

We all remember the famous cases in the early 80's with East German "women" being disqualified after the IAAF and Olympic Federation discovering that they were in fact re-orientated from male, or were of "uncertain sexual designation."

I bet the lawyers are sharpening the blades as we speak, especially if the IAAF strip her of her medal in the next few weeks after testing is completed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    Castor Semenya was born a XXY Hermaphrodite, a rare genetic malfunction resulting in a person having non-specific gender alignment. It doesn't mean she has a willy. It means that some of her physical prowess may be due to the male aspects of the gender confusion asserting themselves growing up - like stronger muscles, endurance etc.

The poor girl will have to undergo blood tests, tissue samples, gender organ examination, pyschological testing, and a whole host of other tests to conclude the question of true sexual orientation.

It could, just could exclude her from ever taking part in female discipline events - and be labelled as neither a man or a woman in terms of athletic assignment within a games/competition aspect.

I feel sorry for her. But you can see why, after lastnights 800m final, that people are upset. She clearly left the whole field standing - without even breaking a sweat - and was only a second outside the world record. In 2008 she wasn't even within 9 seconds of that time. Or had ever been within 28 seconds of the 1500m times of this year.

It seems unfair, but rules are rules, and it's up to the ASF to go into it and check for certain that they KNOW who they are selecting to represent their country so that these things don't happen.

We all remember the famous cases in the early 80's with East German "women" being disqualified after the IAAF and Olympic Federation discovering that they were in fact re-orientated from male, or were of "uncertain sexual designation."

I bet the lawyers are sharpening the blades as we speak, especially if the IAAF strip her of her medal in the next few weeks after testing is completed.

Has this been confirmed? I thought they said it would take weeks for the test results to come in? Do you have a link please?
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    comedyfish wrote: »
    ask her to reverse into a shopping bay - problem solved

I'll have you know that I can reverse into a shopping bay extremely well- I never drive in forwards -and I've had two kids so I'm definitely a woman! :D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    LOL I've been caught out THREE times by her. I always forget it's a woman speaking until I see her.

You've obviously never heard Tanya Arnold from Look North in Leeds. Sounds like Barry White!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    is Lady Gaga a Hermaphrodite too? i read somewhere that it might be true.

http://static.thehollywoodgossip.com/images/gallery/lady-gaga-hermaphrodite-picture.jpg
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

he's got big beard!! Obviously a dude!

:D

edit: whoa!!! is that mick jagger???? :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    (the Canadian Silver Medallist in the Women's 100m hurdles reminded me of Nadia from BB)

Yeah, I thought so too.:p

They should have told the public that there was a female athlete who might actually be male, but kept the athlete anonymous. They managed it with the Jamaican drugs lot, didn't they? Not telling anyone who they were until it was certain that they'd taken drugs. Why can't they do the same with her- not reveal her identity until the matter has been cleared up?

When will people realise that they don't have an automatic right to immediately know all the gory details about something, especially when it's something that could seriously affect someone's life? This woman is 18, she probably hasn't been in professional athletics very long, and it's horrible for her to have to deal with this at the start of her career in the first place, never mind have to deal with it with everyone watching and coming up with theories.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    he's got big beard!! Obviously a dude!

:D

i guess Steven Tyler could pass as an old woman these days, hehe:D
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    Turquoise wrote: »
    Yeah, I thought so too.:p

They should have told the public that there was a female athlete who might actually be male, but kept the athlete anonymous.

Because the lady looks like a dude. It would have been obvious to all which girl they were looking into, especially after she won by 2 seconds.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    h

Steven Tyler
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    Castor Semenya was born a XXY Hermaphrodite, a rare genetic malfunction resulting in a person having non-specific gender alignment.

Was this confirmed already? Link please... and if that's indeed the case that would have only be noticed or investigated in her teenage years, well now, because since she doesn't have male genital organs she would have been considered a completely "normal" woman all her life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steven Tyler

doh - yeah meant him - the areosmith dude... :o

ooops - I feel my immence musical knowledge has let me down somewhat
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is BBC correspondent Caroline Wyatt a man or a woman?

Sure sounds like a bloke.

http://blogcfj.prixbayeux.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/caroline-wyatt.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    IWantPVR wrote: »
    Because the lady looks like a dude. It would have been obvious to all which girl they were looking into, especially after she won by 2 seconds.

Perhaps, but a lot of female athletes look a bit masculine- it more or less goes with the job- and even though many people would have suspected her, they wouldn't have known and wouldn't have been able to prove it.
  • 83ray183ray1 Posts: 2,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who cares.

sex doesn't matter its ability
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    I think the way that this has been handled is appalling. But what made me angrier than the IAAF conducting this in public was the comments from the a couple of her fellow athletes. "For me, she is not a woman" said Elisa Piccione, an Italian who finished 6th. Well nobody gives a toss what you think you stupid little so- and- so.

A Russian athlete also said something along the same lines. They just sound like ignorant, sore losers and should keep it shut.

How about waiting for the results before passing judgment.
  • ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the way that this has been handled is appalling. But what made me angrier than the IAAF conducting this in public was the comments from the a couple of her fellow athletes. "For me, she is not a woman" said Elisa Piccione, an Italian who finished 6th. Well nobody gives a toss what you think you stupid little so- and- so.

A Russian athlete also said something along the same lines. They just sound like ignorant, sore losers and should keep it shut.

How about waiting for the results before passing judgment.

Human nature unfortunately. If you don't look a certain way then you are shunted to the sidelines. The same happened with Amelie Mauresmo a few years ago.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    Ask her to run the race whilst typing a letter, if she can do both at the same time, shes a women.

Ask her to have a conversation with a man - if he manages to get a word in - busted!

Alternatively - get her to watch a movie - if she sits in silence for the whole movie without asking "whats going on" or "whos he/she" - again - busted!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    83ray1 wrote: »
    who cares.

sex doesn't matter its ability

good idea - lets have all the men and women competing together... nice and fair!
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good idea - lets have all the men and women competing together... nice and fair!

Equality and all that.:D

As for Castor, sure looks like a bloke to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for Castor, sure looks like a bloke to me.

he/she should change her last name to Dispersions