another which tv should i get

ste1969ste1969 Posts: 1,203
Forum Member
✭✭✭
current tv is panasonic plasma TH42PX600 and am looking to replace it with a 3D smart tv.
the choices are

panasonic TX-L47DT65B
LG 47LA860W
samsung UE46F8000

Comments

• evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    The best thing you can do is check out the reviews, which you have already done by the sound of it, and then to visit stores that have the TVs on display. I too am in the process of buying a new (55 inch) TV and 'phoned my local Richer Sound to ask if they would give me a side by side demo of the 2 TVs on my shortlist using an HDMI splitter (so I could see the same content at the same time). Two of the TVs you have shortlisted are stocked by them but not the LG. You could also ask PC World and John Lewis, although my local store in Liverpool was pretty useless.

The first call to see if I could get a demo got cut off their end, the second time they told me they didn't stock the Sony KDL55W905 in Liverpool. The Richer Sound demo was good although I had to make do with the 46 inch versions of the 2 TVs (the Samsung UE46F7000 and the Sony KDL46W905). I asked for and changed the settings on the remotes to get a more natural look to the TVs and the member of staff conducting the demo was very helpful. We found we had a mutual interest in computers so it all went well.

I was there for at least 30 mins and was able to see about 20 46 & 47 inch TVs. The Samsung was by far the best for sheer quality of detail and clarity (although it is very bright) and was only bettered by the 55 inch F8000 which is more natural, possibly due to the better local dimming. This would be my choice ideally but the TV stand is too wide for my unit at home. I watched broadcast SD & HD Sky channels and Star Trek Into Darkness Blu-ray and 3D. We had the shop lights both on and off. The Samsung has a slightly pink hue and the Sony slightly more green.

After the demo ended I went to John Lewis just to see what they had and the Sony they said they didn't stock was on display in pride of place. I found a free 'partner' and relayed my fruitless 'phone conversation. I had noticed that they also had the 55inch Samsung F7000 so I asked if they would give me a demo. He said no because the TVs were wall mounted and they didn't have the stands.

I said that considering the price of the TVs it wasn't unreasonable for me to ask for a demo but he said no can do. I asked if I could watch my Star Trek Blu-ray on the 7000 so he put it into the player below the TV and nothing happened. It wasn't connected. He connected it, put the disc in, but it wouldn't play. He said it was faulty. I said it wasn't. I gave him another Blu-ray, this time Tintin in 3D. It wouldn't play that either. He admitted defeat. No demo for me.
  • robbrarobbra Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had 2 3D LG tvs from John Lewis.
    Apart from the 3D not giving a very good experience, being less than amazing, when wiping the screen both the front screen covers were loose in the bottom right corner meaning dust could easily get inside. I then pressed that corner in each LG in the shop and they were all the same. I exchanged for a Panasonic non 3D plasma and couldn't be more pleased.
  • ste1969ste1969 Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i went up to currys/pc world last week and had a look at the lg model and it had a 3d demo running and it seemed quite good.
    the panasonic and samsung were not running any 3d but the picture on each was very good.
    i also looked at the sony w905a on the recommendation of the sales assistant there and the picture was stunning but the reviews i have read say the viewing angle isn't as good as the others.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    ste1969 wrote: »
    i also looked at the sony w905a on the recommendation of the sales assistant there and the picture was stunning but the reviews i have read say the viewing angle isn't as good as the others.

So why didn't you check the viewing angle yourself?.

In my experience Sony's have amazing viewing angles though, was the review perhaps comparing it with Plasma sets?.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    The Sony's viewing angles are a product of what screen technology they are putting in their sets.

Since they don't actually manufacture the panels, this parameter is as variable on Sony sets as it is on anything else.

If you are worried about viewing angles and black rendering, don't buy LCD, it's as simple as that.

I sometimes think I'd be better off with two TVs in my living room as neither LCD nor plasma deals with brightness particularly well; plasmas are a problem if there is sun glare as the image isn't as bright as LCD, but the latter is borderline unwatchable if viewing in the dark (as I like to if watching films) -- I'm sorry but grey bars top and bottom drive me nuts, and no LCD I've ever auditioned has managed to get around this problem.
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ste1969 wrote: »
    current tv is panasonic plasma TH42PX600 and am looking to replace it with a 3D smart tv.
    the choices are

panasonic TX-L47DT65B
    LG 47LA860W
    samsung UE46F8000

To save disappointment how about a PANASONIC VIERA TXP50GT60B instead. :eek:
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I can say is, try to view ALL of the tv's together or side by side, get the one that looks best.

I was in a shop last week looking at LED tv's, there was a Sony, Samsung, Panasonic next to each other, the Sony looked miles better, better colours, sharper image etc
    Forum Member
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    I was in a shop last week looking at LED tv's, there was a Sony, Samsung, Panasonic next to each other, the Sony looked miles better, better colours, sharper image etc

They generally do :D
  • AlanOAlanO Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I can say is, try to view ALL of the tv's together or side by side, get the one that looks best.

Probably more to do with how they've been set up.

I've never managed to get a Sony set up to my satisfaction - even back in the days of CRTs.

I've currently got a Sony LCD which was inherited - and even after many attempts I've never been happy with the picture and would only ever class it as average at best. I've found Panasonic and Samsungs have a far better picture and wouldn't buy another Sony.

It's all down to personal taste - but you need to make sure you're comparing them on an equal basis.
    Forum Member
    AlanO wrote: »
    Probably more to do with how they've been set up.

They will all be set to the default shop mode - shops don't attempt to alter the default settings.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol at set up, what can you do to "set up" a basic LCD TV? Adjust the colour? That's not going to make the image look better or sharper is it? And if you've got a sky box for example there's no need to touch anything, connect via HDMI and turn them on. Job done. Unless I'm missing some hidden settings to make my tv look better
    Forum Member
    Lol at set up, what can you do to "set up" a basic LCD TV? Adjust the colour? That's not going to make the image look better or sharper is it? And if you've got a sky box for example there's no need to touch anything, connect via HDMI and turn them on. Job done. Unless I'm missing some hidden settings to make my tv look better

You've got adjustments for colour, brightness, contrast, sharpness, gamma, backlight - and a generally a few other things as well.

You appear to misunderstand what HDMI does?, it's simply another connection to the TV, and has exactly the same range of adjustments as the other inputs - it in no way affects the requirement to adjust your TV to your personal preferences.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member

If you think your picture is OK out of the box then fine, however, there are, as mentioned, much adjustment available. So, yes, you are missing some settings, although they are hardly hidden..
    All that said, a good picture is a purely individual experience and others can't really tell you what is good for you....;)
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

See here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/12/a_christmas_present_from_the_h.html
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    They will all be set to the default shop mode - shops don't attempt to alter the default settings.

Shops probably don't but I have seen customers in the shop altering display settings, so it's very possible setups on displays will vary, then again a bright showroom is the worse place to judge/compare pq.

What exactly is shop mode, all settings set to Max to compensate for the bright lights, that's really going to show what the TV is capable of. Then again a lot of buyers just go for a TV that shows the brightest, most saturated in colour set on display with little regard to what a good picture should look like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When initially installed, perhaps. But once the sales assistants have played with them, then the customers, throw in a couple of demos for good measure - I very much doubt somebody goes around and 'resets' them to 'shop mode' at the end of each day.....
    Forum Member
    When initially installed, perhaps. But once the sales assistants have played with them, then the customers, throw in a couple of demos for good measure - I very much doubt somebody goes around and 'resets' them to 'shop mode' at the end of each day.....

Most shops don't allow customers to alter the settings, or even allow remotes to be used - they 'disappear' far too easily, and pressing a remote affects far too many sets.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Most shops don't allow customers to alter the settings, or even allow remotes to be used - they 'disappear' far too easily, and pressing a remote affects far too many sets.

You don't need a remote to alter picture settings, most TV's have a flap where you can access the menu/picture settings.
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    You don't need a remote to alter picture settings, most TV's have a flap where you can access the menu/picture settings.

On the back of my Samsung UE40D6530 TV there's a Menu button which when pressed, opens the main menu. An illuminated screen panel also opens on the bottom right of the screen, so you can see at the front what you are pressing at the back to navigate the menu options. It's a lot easier using the remote though.
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »

Are you stuck in the past? :p

TV's haven't had 'flaps' for a good number of years :D
    Forum Member
    I was very disappointed that John Lewis were so unhelpful when I tried to get a demo. Richer Sound couldn't have been more accomodating even though the demo TVs were smaller (apart from the Samsung UE55F8000). I would quite happily have bought a Samsung TV there but the conditions of the Samsung cash back promotion state I have to buy the 2nd product from the same store, and RS don't sell the Samsung BD-F8500 that I want. They have a very limited Samsung product range on anything other than TVs. I would have paid for RS to calibrate the 7000 for me as well and JL don't do calibration.

However JL do sell the F8500. I don't understand why they won't give me the demo considering I'm spending over £1700 and perhaps a lot more. For that sort of money I want to know exactly what I'm buying and despite the RS demo I'm still surprised that the Sony picture was so inferior to the Samsung.

I'd like another demo with the 55 inch sets and only JL have them. It's frustrating. I'm sorely tempted to write to JL Liverpool's manager and see if a personal plea for a demo would reap results.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    I was very disappointed that John Lewis were so unhelpful when I tried to get a demo. Richer Sound couldn't have been more accomodating even though the demo TVs were smaller (apart from the Samsung UE55F8000). I would quite happily have bought a Samsung TV there but the conditions of the Samsung cash back promotion state I have to buy the 2nd product from the same store, and RS don't sell the Samsung BD-F8500 that I want. They have a very limited Samsung product range on anything other than TVs. I would have paid for RS to calibrate the 7000 for me as well and JL don't do calibration.

However JL do sell the F8500. I don't understand why they won't give me the demo considering I'm spending over £1700 and perhaps a lot more. For that sort of money I want to know exactly what I'm buying and despite the RS demo I'm still surprised that the Sony picture was so inferior to the Samsung.

I'd like another demo with the 55 inch sets and only JL have them. It's frustrating. I'm sorely tempted to write to JL Liverpool's manager and see if a personal plea for a demo would reap results.

I'm surprised JL wouldn't give you a demo - unless you were asking for something seriously out of the ordinary - it may depend on the facilities they have for conducting a demo i.e. whether they have a demo room, if they don't then it's difficult to see what they could do.

If you're expecting a demo with exclusive access to the sets in a busy store - then I suspect you're being unrealistic, regardless of the amount you're spending.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree about the remotes, but there's not much they can do if customers access the menus whilst 'playing' with the sets - unless they want to potentially turn away a customer.

And, as previously stated, I doubt sets get returned to 'shop mode' after a demo.
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is at least one store (in the Manchester area- there might be others) that has professionally calibrated tvs on display and you can demo them.
    Forum Member
    Agree about the remotes, but there's not much they can do if customers access the menus whilst 'playing' with the sets - unless they want to potentially turn away a customer.

I don't think it's EVER occurred?, and the degree of 'fiddling' required to use the sets buttons to alter settings means it's pretty unlikely anyway.

And, as previously stated, I doubt sets get returned to 'shop mode' after a demo.

If you're demo'ing a TV in the shop then why would you alter the shop mode setting anyway?.