Find my iPhone question

Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just turned this on etc just incase something bad happened.

So my question is what's stopping someone from going into the settings and turning find my iPhone off? I'd have thought you need to enter a password but you don't. Or is it still on secretly?

Comments

• interactiv-ukinteractiv-uk Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    Just turned this on etc just incase something bad happened.

So my question is what's stopping someone from going into the settings and turning find my iPhone off? I'd have thought you need to enter a password but you don't. Or is it still on secretly?

There's nothing to stop someone switching it off as you say. Best option is to have a pass code lock on your iPhone too.

As far as I know, if someone switches your iPhone off, Find my iPhone will give you the last known location.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    You are correct. Last known location is stored.
    Just pin protect your iPhone.
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be extra secure you could turn off deleting apps in the restrictions settings because you could have your phone snatched from you while its unlocked.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tips folks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can also enable restrictions for location services, so that a thief won't be able to switch Find My iPhone off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks island and calico, really good to know there's at least a few ways of preventing someone just turning it off
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gavo360 wrote: »
    To be extra secure you could turn off deleting apps in the restrictions settings because you could have your phone snatched from you while its unlocked.

"find my iphone" isn't an app, it's a service built-in to the icloud settings.

turning off deleting apps would have no affect on find my iphone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »

that article seems to be confusing the "find my iphone" service and the "find my iphone" app.

the app is not required to enable the service on your phone. the app is only for finding another phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    that article seems to be confusing the "find my iphone" service and the "find my iphone" app.

the app is not required to enable the service on your phone. the app is only for finding another phone.

I agree that it calls it an app throughout the article, but the steps listed are the correct ones to take.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that it calls it an app throughout the article, but the steps listed are the correct ones to take.

it even shows screenshots from the app.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the thing about restricting access to the location option is a very good idea
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's a good service providing the thief is an idiot.
    if the thief is sensible then the first thing they do it turn it off.

then take it somewhere with no wifi, remove the sim, turn it back on, connect it to itunes and do a restore to wipe it. (or if no restrictions, do a "erase all contents and settings" via settings).

removing the sim along with no wifi means that no "location" signal can be sent and no remote wipe signal can be received.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^

Well, there's a limit to what any company can do in these circumstances.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^

Well, there's a limit to what any company can do in these circumstances.

oh i know, i'm not knocking the service.
    just saying that it relies on the thief leaving the phone on and connected to be able to trace it.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It also relies on the owner not having a pass code.

If there's a pass code and the phone is stolen / lost, then you'd hope the owner could kill the phone's data before anyone else got access, even if it still proved difficult to recover the phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    It also relies on the owner not having a pass code.

If there's a pass code and the phone is stolen / lost, then you'd hope the owner could kill the phone's data before anyone else got access, even if it still proved difficult to recover the phone.

having a passcode enabled still doesn't disable the ability to power off the phone though.
  • Kingsd316Kingsd316 Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame apple haven't contacted the devs of igotya and implemented that app in the IOS software