Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• pink15pink15 Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    About 15 years ago Tom Baker was in front of me in the queue of the local tiny post office near where he lived. The notoriously stroppy post mistress was licking his stamps and putting them on his envelopes (a courtesy not remotely accorded to us mere mortals) and he said in his very loud, deep, boomy voice... "oh, to be that stamp"!
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sohoguy wrote: »
    This is a very unfair forum topic. How can you judge someone based purely on one incredibly brief meeting? We all have days when we'd tell even our most loved family or friends to sod off, so you can't expect celebrities to not feel the same.

Many of these stories lack any context. You don't know whether the chap who Tom Baker alledgedly told to f**k off was incredibly annoying and harassing him.

Let's not be so swift to judge people so quickly. Enjoy what they give us in the films and TV shows they appear in and stop expecting people to be a far better human being than you are 24/7

It is pefectly excusable for any celeb to refuse to sign autographs if they are pushed for time but they should do if pleasantly. To tell people to **** off is inexcusable unless they have been wound-up by whoever it is directed at. Recognition, which is sometimes not welcome, is the price of fame.
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pink15 wrote: »
    About 15 years ago Tom Baker was in front of me in the queue of the local tiny post office near where he lived. The notoriously stroppy post mistress was licking his stamps and putting them on his envelopes (a courtesy not remotely accorded to us mere mortals) and he said in his very loud, deep, boomy voice... "oh, to be that stamp"!
    Oh how brilliant! How did Mrs Stroppy Postmistress react?:D
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Another cherished Tom Baker moment.

Life just keeps getting better. Hooray! :D
  • Sapphire SunSapphire Sun Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    Well aren't you charming, calling people all names under the sun. Do you have a photo of yourself to show us seeing as you appear to be some kind of adonis? Thought not. :rolleyes:

Your ass must be chaffing with the amount of time spent on your moral high horse, i'm going to ask the mods for permission to tell you to FO.:D

Go away and ruin someone else's happiness.:roll eyes:

I know why you are peed off with me? i mentioned Joyner in my post, seriously mate if thats the case get a life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Met Stephen Merchant after one of his stand-up gigs. He was lovely even though he was clearly knackered.

Met 3 out of 4 of McFly and they all made the time to say hello to ALL the fans that were there (and there was a lot).

Not really met anyone nasty!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Andy Murray and Jamie Murray,both lovely and quite funny especially when trying to take a photo of Andy and my daughter,he was to tall and she was so small to fit in the photo he laughed ended up just picking her up much to her delight and when we met him the next day she just ran up to him and he said "Aw hello,nice to see my wee friend again" and lifted her up for a hug :) She couldn't believe he remembered her.

Flying from Glasgow to Dublin in June,the bands Journey and Foreigner were on the same flight,to me these bands are absolute legends but there were no airs and graces to them,2 of them sat directly behind me and they spent the flight and the time at the departure gate chatting away to other passengers.
  • Platinum BobPlatinum Bob Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    ultimatums wrote: »
    Personally, one bad encounter isn't going to change my mind about a celebrity. Everyone is entitled to a bad day. If there is a pattern like A.Cotton, for example, then I would tend to believe that that celebrity isn't so nice to fans.

Couldn't put it better myself.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D
    mike1948 wrote: »
    It is pefectly excusable for any celeb to refuse to sign autographs if they are pushed for time but they should do if pleasantly. To tell people to **** off is inexcusable unless they have been wound-up by whoever it is directed at. Recognition, which is sometimes not welcome, is the price of fame.

I agree, if they don't like it, they shouldn't have put themselves forward in front of the public eye.

Fairly recently, I met Alan Carr, he was friendly and down to earth.
  • SmiirkySmiirky Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your ass must be chaffing with the amount of time spent on your moral high horse, i'm going to ask the mods for permission to tell you to FO.:D

Go away and ruin someone else's happiness.:roll eyes:

I know why you are peed off with me? i mentioned Joyner in my post, seriously mate if thats the case get a life.

Jo is beautiful considering she's just had twins, how can you say that?
  • LilaethLilaeth Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I met him while he was still the Doctor; he asked my sister (who was only small!) what her name was, then told her that was his favourite name. Then he offered me a jelly baby - in fact, he let me take 2 - and I'm not the giggly type, but I giggled at him! :D

A friend of mine once told me that her mother bumped into Peter O'Toole, who was looking a bit the worse for wear. She said to him 'you're Peter O'Toole aren't you?' and he clutched his head and said 'not this morning I'm not!'

The one person I've always been jealous of was a woman I used to work with - years before she had met Yul Brynner when he was in London (this was the last time he did The King and I there). She mentioned she was going to see the show a few days later, for her birthday, and he told her to come to the stage door and he'd arrange for her to come backstage. Not only did he do that, but when she arrived, he presented her with a bottle of champagne and a huge bouquet of flowers. I was always impressed by that!
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a really nice gesture :)

I've met many of the Coronation Street actors.

Elizabeth Dawn (Vera Duckworth) is just the same as her on screen character!

Simon Gregson (Steve Mcdonald) is a really nice, friendly down to earth lad.

That one who was supposed to have moved away to play football disappeared not long after his family supposedly moved up from down south.

The reason being that he turned into a prima donna, wearing sunglasses etc saying "I don't want my fans to recognise me"! They soon got shut of him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiirky wrote: »
    Jo is beautiful considering she's just had twins, how can you say that?

Didn't she have her babies in January? So almost a year ago. I don't condone calling her fat but i don't think a year is classed as just had twins.
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lilaeth wrote: »
    I met him while he was still the Doctor; he asked my sister (who was only small!) what her name was, then told her that was his favourite name. Then he offered me a jelly baby - in fact, he let me take 2 - and I'm not the giggly type, but I giggled at him! :D

A friend of mine once told me that her mother bumped into Peter O'Toole, who was looking a bit the worse for wear. She said to him 'you're Peter O'Toole aren't you?' and he clutched his head and said 'not this morning I'm not!'

The one person I've always been jealous of was a woman I used to work with - years before she had met Yul Brynner when he was in London (this was the last time he did The King and I there). She mentioned she was going to see the show a few days later, for her birthday, and he told her to come to the stage door and he'd arrange for her to come backstage. Not only did he do that, but when she arrived, he presented her with a bottle of champagne and a huge bouquet of flowers. I was always impressed by that!

At the weekend BBC2 showed again their documentary about the London Palladium. In one section Yul Brynner was mentioned for being very difficult to deal with. It was no "Yul'' but "Mr Brynner''. It shows how celebs and our impressions of them can vary greatly.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    At the weekend BBC2 showed again their documentary about the London Palladium. In one section Yul Brynner was mentioned for being very difficult to deal with. It was no "Yul'' but "Mr Brynner''. It shows how celebs and our impressions of them can vary greatly.

This doesn't surprise me. I read that Meryl Streep can be a bit of a tyrant with her crew and staffers (and they've come to expect it) but she's an absolute doll to ordinary people.

I think some of the stars just push their staff hard. The expectation is different with ordinary people, whom they may feel a little more charitable towards.

I don't honestly think being asked to call someone 'Mr' rather than a more familiar first name is that bad tbh. Some employers don't want the familiarity with staff. Though I could imagine 'Mr Brynner' being fierce difficult to work with at times. :eek:
  • oh viennaoh vienna Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lilaeth wrote: »

That's so incredibly lovely, and one of the best fan - celeb encounters I've ever heard of.

Very jealous. I love The King and I.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    My partner met Tom Hanks at an after party and said he was funny and very down to earth.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    This doesn't surprise me. I read that Meryl Streep can be a bit of a tyrant with her crew and staffers (and they've come to expect it) but she's an absolute doll to ordinary people.

I think some of the stars just push their staff hard. The expectation is different with ordinary people, whom they may feel a little more charitable towards.

I don't honestly think being asked to call someone 'Mr' rather than a more familiar first name is that bad tbh. Some employers don't want the familiarity with staff. Though I could imagine 'Mr Brynner' being fierce difficult to work with at times. :eek:

During the filming of The Magnificent Seven, Steve McQueen made a point of winding up Mr Brynner. His antics included fiddling with props whenever Brynner was talking to distract from Brynner and, when he noticed that Brynner would build little piles of earth to stand on so he would appear taller, McQueen would kick them down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years ago my friend's brother in law was putting in a phone for the late Natasha Richardson and said she was very nice and normal and even made him a sandwich.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen Gately - Legend, top bloke, loved his cars and motor racing
    Leslie Crowther - Genuinely funny bloke
    Russell Brand - Brief chat at Heathrow was a nice guy and wished me a safe flight
    Cilla Black - Obnoxious self important cow
    Rick Parfitt - Genuine bloke, met him at Indian takeaway he queued and waited like anyone else
    Francis Rossi - Up himself
    Gary Lineker - Miserable sod nothing like on tv
    Murray Walker - Rude and unpleasant
    Ayrton Senna - A gent, very quiet and serious but top bloke
    Billy Murray - Legend
    Alan Sugar - Wasn't rude but not the sort of person you would invite to a dinner party
    Richard Hammond - Nothing like his tv persona, vile
    Michael Schumacher - Aloof is kindest description
    Kimi Raikkonen - Colder than a frozen cod
    George Lucas - Disinterested in talking with us
    James May - Top bloke, could chat to him all day
    Stirling Moss - A gent
    Johnny Herbert - Again top bloke very down to earth
    Damon Hill - Miserable ****er
    Lewis Hamilton - Surprisingly friendly
    Jenson Button - Genuinely nice guy
    Jimmy White - Again another top bloke
    George Best - Chatted to him over a drink was a nice guy
    Don Henley - Heard bad reports about him but he was nice to me

Someone I know who works in television said he has an absolutely awful reputation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst what you say is true, the public are, in effect, the customers of celebrities.

People who work in the service industry also have their off days and come across people they find annoying, but it would not be acceptable/appropriate for them to show customers a bad attitude.

While they are working sure, but I don't think anybody in the service industry would be happy about having to deal with a customer when they weren't working.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While they are working sure, but I don't think anybody in the service industry would be happy about having to deal with a customer when they weren't working.

I think the 'service industry' analogy is a bit tenuous. Celebrities rely on their fans' support, so I don't think it's out of order to expect that they treat them with respect and appreciation, whether they're 'on' or not. After all, acting or singingare performative jobs, but the goodwill of the fans keeps those performances attended.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,490
    Forum Member
    I was in 5th Avenue (an indie club in Manchester) on Friday night and met Joanne Frogatt of Downton Abbey fame.

She's stunning in the flesh and when she smiled at me (I held the door for her) I thought I was going to melt!

Nice lady.
  • Rose2145Rose2145 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    I met Olly Murs after a gig and he was more than happy to make sure everyone had an autograph and a picture with him and he seemed like a genuine, lovely man.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I think the 'service industry' analogy is a bit tenuous. Celebrities rely on their fans' support, so I don't think it's out of order to expect that they treat them with respect and appreciation, whether they're 'on' or not. After all, acting or singingare performative jobs, but the goodwill of the fans keeps those performances attended.

I think they should be treated respectfully as everyone should be, but they get entertainment from the performer that's really all they are entitled to imo. Everything else is a bonus and shouldn't be expected. I think they are entitled to a private life, like the rest of us.