Ashes 2013-2014 terrestrial TV highlights

tvphiltvphil Posts: 985
Forum Member
✭✭
In recent years there have been terrestrial TV highlights of the Ashes Series in Australia shown in the UK.

From memory, last time these were on ITV4, and previously they had been on the BBC.

Do any of you know if ITV4, BBC or even Channel 5 will be bidding to show them this time round?

Comments

• ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This year is different to previous Ashes tours. In the past, Sky has had live rights, and the Australian cricket board has sold highlights rights separately.

This year, Sky owns all rights, so anyone wanting to show highlights needs to deal with Sky.

And if Sky wants exclusivity, there's no real pressure on them to sell highlights rights.
  • thelastwordthelastword Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    This year is different to previous Ashes tours. In the past, Sky has had live rights, and the Australian cricket board has sold highlights rights separately.

This year, Sky owns all rights, so anyone wanting to show highlights needs to deal with Sky.

And if Sky wants exclusivity, there's no real pressure on them to sell highlights rights.

So arius, do you think we won't get any FTA highlights this time? Because that would be disasterous.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Sky would prefer not to. If they do I'd expect it to be announced right at the last minute: mid-November even.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Id fully expect Sky to sell a highlights package as they can make money off it. No company with half a brain cell will decline a potential revenue stream.
    perhaps the same as last time around, ITV4. Channel 5 snubbed a deal for the previous down-under tour, id expect the same again and the BBC barely care as it is TV-wise.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Id fully expect Sky to sell a highlights package as they can make money off it. No company with half a brain cell will decline a potential revenue stream.
    perhaps the same as last time around, ITV4. Channel 5 snubbed a deal for the previous down-under tour, id expect the same again and the BBC barely care as it is TV-wise.

Sky will maybe want to hold on to The Ashes in Australia highlights, as most people will be watching the highlights rather than live coverage, because of the time difference.

They could make a quick few quid selling them on, but by keeping everything exclusive to Sky Sports it might drive subscriptions and make them more money?

Only time will tell.
  • JudioJudio Posts: 11,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They may be on but only when Sky have finished their own highlghts

So who would show Cricket at 2200 ???
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judio wrote: »

Yeah i was gonna say 9/10pm, as by then Sky would have finished there highlights packages for the day.

ITV4 maybe
  • andy_d77andy_d77 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm so self centered and selfish to think this is aimed EXACTLY at me; I've just cancelled sky sports so it ends at the end of this month, I do the same every year as I don't car about soccer enough to warrant paying over the winter.

I use the radio if its late night early morning coverage or watched any highlights if i felt the need on 'normal' tv

perhaps theres more than me who subscribe just for the english summer cricket? I take out a sub again in April after the usual ping pong of offers to 'come back'

for some highlights on a channel you cancel during the off season may persuade some to stay subscribed?
  • Neil_HarrisNeil_Harris Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy_d77 wrote: »
    i'm so self centered and selfish to think this is aimed EXACTLY at me; I've just cancelled sky sports so it ends at the end of this month, I do the same every year as I don't car about soccer enough to warrant paying over the winter.

I use the radio if its late night early morning coverage or watched any highlights if i felt the need on 'normal' tv

perhaps theres more than me who subscribe just for the english summer cricket? I take out a sub again in April after the usual ping pong of offers to 'come back'

for some highlights on a channel you cancel during the off season may persuade some to stay subscribed?

Andy, there is ton's of cricket on in the winter, Don't you care for this?

As for TV Highlights, if Sky sell them to terrestial they could dictate the time. They could almost use them as an advert, say they sell to ITV4 and say you have to show them between 4 and 5pm, this may encourage people to tune in for fuller highlights later, or better for them ring up and subscribe for the next days play.
  • tvphiltvphil Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judio wrote: »

I seem to recall that there were big restrictions on when terrestrial highlights could be shown the last few time too.Perhaps after 11PM from memory?

With the time difference it meant that they would be finishing around the time the next days play started.

The BBC made the most of this, by going live to their TMS commentators/reporters for interviews and to promote their live radio coverage towards the end of the programme.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,289
    Forum Member
    ITV4 probably did quite well out of having the highlights last time because of the success England had..
  • JamSirJamSir Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The restrictions that Cricket Australia have imposed on terrestrial highlights have been very strict for the past two series.

They could not be broadcast before 22:00, which worked out at over 12 hours after the close of play was completed and less than two hours before the start of the next day's play.

In 2006-7, the BBC showed on the Red Button at 22:00 which was then repeated after Newsnight on BBC TWO.

In 2010-11, the highlights were shown at 22:00 on ITV4.

Brief two minute highlights of each session were available last time round on the ECB and Cricket Australia websites.

In order of likelihood, this is what I reckon will happen this time around:

ITV4
    No terrestrial highlights
    BBC
    Channel 5
    Pick TV
    Other terrestrials (Channel 4, Dave)
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamSir wrote: »
    The restrictions that Cricket Australia have imposed on terrestrial highlights have been very strict for the past two series.

They could not be broadcast before 22:00, which worked out at over 12 hours after the close of play was completed and less than two hours before the start of the next day's play.

In 2006-7, the BBC showed on the Red Button at 22:00 which was then repeated after Newsnight on BBC TWO.

Brief two minute highlights of each session were available last time round on the ECB and Cricket Australia websites.

ITV4
    BBC
    Channel 5
    Pick TV

pick tv comes up again.....
    Forum Member
    pick tv comes up again.....

Sky MIGHT decide to use it, i doubt it but you never know..

I think iTV did a top job with the highlights from the previous down under tour and it worked with the highlights at 10pm.
  • Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for TV Highlights, if Sky sell them to terrestial they could dictate the time. They could almost use them as an advert, say they sell to ITV4 and say you have to show them between 4 and 5pm, this may encourage people to tune in for fuller highlights later, or better for them ring up and subscribe for the next days play.

They wouldn't be "fuller highlights" on Sky. Sky don't do highlights shows of more than an hour these days (excluding analysis), much to my personal annoyance, though I know it's just an individual preference.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Sky MIGHT decide to use it.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamSir wrote: »

ITV4
    BBC
    Channel 5
    Pick TV

* PICK TV KLAXON *
  • andy_d77andy_d77 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy, there is ton's of cricket on in the winter, Don't you care for this?

As for TV Highlights, if Sky sell them to terrestrial they could dictate the time. They could almost use them as an advert, say they sell to ITV4 and say you have to show them between 4 and 5pm, this may encourage people to tune in for fuller highlights later, or better for them ring up and subscribe for the next days play.

no tbh - I work during the winter and I'm involved in the English game in the summer so I like to have a few months away from watching the game in the winter [as I have to watch enough for the courses I may do etc!]
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie10 wrote: »
    They wouldn't be "fuller highlights" on Sky. Sky don't do highlights shows of more than an hour these days (excluding analysis), much to my personal annoyance, though I know it's just an individual preference.

We don't know that yet though. The 1 hour was a trial for this ashes. They may change.
    In fact surely they will. They have a whole day to fill.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy_d77 wrote: »
    no tbh - I work during the winter and I'm involved in the English game in the summer so I like to have a few months away from watching the game in the winter [as I have to watch enough for the courses I may do etc!]

ooh, what do you do?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't know that yet though. The 1 hour was a trial for this ashes. They may change.
    In fact surely they will. They have a whole day to fill.

I think we will only get one hour of highlights a day, as it is the way Sky have gone with highlights of any sport they currently have.

The only sport which probably has extended highlights these days is Sky's LaLiga coverage, which has gone from 90 minutes covering 2 matches, to 1 hour seperate show for both matches.

And is the ashes channel coming back
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we will only get one hour of highlights a day, as it is the way Sky have gone with highlights of any sport they currently have.

The only sport which probably has extended highlights these days is Sky's LaLiga coverage, which has gone from 90 minutes covering 2 matches, to 1 hour seperate show for both matches.

And is the ashes channel coming back

You're probably right, but they did say they'd listen to feedback.

I doubt it, personally feel they should re-brand F1 as a cricket channel from Dec - Feb
    Sky need 1,2,3,4 when it's loaded with football.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're probably right, but they did say they'd listen to feedback.

I doubt it, personally feel they should re-brand F1 as a cricket channel from Dec - Feb
    Sky need 1,2,3,4 when it's loaded with football.

Its seemed strange not having any Cricket on sky for six days, think we were so lucky to get a dedicated cricket channel for a couple of months, you miss it.

I know theres the Champions Trophy, but only really like watching players im familar with
    Forum Member
    Double Post...
    Forum Member
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you're going to quote me, use the FULL line and not a cut-down version to make me look otherwise!
    Sky MIGHT decide to use it, i doubt it but you never know..

See...
    !!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad: