Interview at Sainsburys

EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
Forum Member
Hi everyone.

Just got a letter today saying I have an interview at Sainburys this Monday. Quite nervous about it as it's my first proper interview. It's only for a part-time job though as I start Uni soon.

I was wondering if anyone has had an interview with them in the past or any other supermarket so I could get an idea of the questions and how it will go. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I think they just wanna see what ur like, My bf had his first job at Sainsburys bout 10 yrs ago and the ended up talking bout hobbies..

Just be yourself and be honest..

Good luck..xxx
  • shazznayshazznay Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Ethereal wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

Just got a letter today saying I have an interview at Sainburys this Monday. Quite nervous about it as it's my first proper interview. It's only for a part-time job though as I start Uni soon.

I was wondering if anyone has had an interview with them in the past or any other supermarket so I could get an idea of the questions and how it will go. Any help would be appreciated. :)

When I had my interview at Sainsburys, there were about 12 of us. We all sat around a table in the conference room with a store trainer who gave us a rundown on the store. Then we were given a question and answer sheet to fill in, mostly food related, [if a customer couldnt find the product, what would we offer as an alternative etc, or if they were cooking something what would we suggest as an accompianment] some questions dealing with how we would relate to our collegues in certain circumstances. [if you had a problem with a workmate how would you deal with it etc]. After this we were taken off for a one to one interview, which only lasted about 5 minutes.
    Nothing to worry about, just be confident and you will be fine. Hope this helps.
  • EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your replies!
    shazznay wrote: »
    When I had my interview at Sainsburys, there were about 12 of us. We all sat around a table in the conference room with a store trainer who gave us a rundown on the store. Then we were given a question and answer sheet to fill in, mostly food related, [if a customer couldnt find the product, what would we offer as an alternative etc, or if they were cooking something what would we suggest as an accompianment] some questions dealing with how we would relate to our collegues in certain circumstances. [if you had a problem with a workmate how would you deal with it etc]. After this we were taken off for a one to one interview, which only lasted about 5 minutes.
    Nothing to worry about, just be confident and you will be fine. Hope this helps.

I've heard that they do interviews with multiple people at one time so I'm assuming that's what mine will be like. Thanks for the information! :)
  • housewifehousewife Posts: 2,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My advice is this. Read up on all sainsburys products. They will ask you about prices and etc of their stock. The more you know the more impressed they will be.
    Also wear clothes (smart if you can) that are the same colour as the sainsburys work uniform (blue and orange?). This will show that (a) you are on the same wavelegnth and (b) are committed to the job.

I hope this helps

Good luck!
  • N-I-C-KN-I-C-K Posts: 3,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find group interviews like this are much better then one 2 one style interviews.

Jobs working in supermarkets, most of the time they are looking for more then 1 person. So if you get invited for an interview 99% of the time you'd got the job before they even see you.

As long as you dont sit there and say nothing and not join in with the interview then you've got the job.

They are looking at the way you behave and get along with other people.

I applyed for a job at Tesco early this year, I had a phone call a week later inviting me for a interview. I went expecting a one 2 one interview, but when I got there there was 8 people waiting by the customer service desk.

We got led to a meeting room where we had to pair up with another person and tell each other about our selfs and then each person had to tell the rest of the group their partners interests and hobbies e.c.t.

We then got put in to 2 teams and had a team working exercise to complete. It was along the lines of you've crash landed on the moon and you had some equipment. You had to list in order the most important items.

The only 2 people from the group who didn't get a job was a bloke who just sat there the entire 2 hours and hardly said a word. When it was his time to tell the rest of the group about the person who he was paired with all he said was "Her name is XXXXXX and she likes Music....errr thats all I can remember"

He never got involved with the group exorcise. He was in my group and when I asked him what he thinks is more important if you crash land on the moon "Oxygen" or "Food" he said he didn't know.

The other person who didn't get the job was the girl who turned up 20 minutes late and spent the rest of the time playing with her mobile phone.

I got a call the same day offering me a job, but I only lastest half a shift. The job I applyed for was a Personal Shopper but the job I got offered was working on their Fruit and Veg department. I accepted it anyway, but I was bored stiff within minutes of starting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    housewife wrote: »
    My advice is this. Read up on all sainsburys products. They will ask you about prices and etc of their stock. The more you know the more impressed they will be.
    Also wear clothes (smart if you can) that are the same colour as the sainsburys work uniform (blue and orange?). This will show that (a) you are on the same wavelegnth and (b) are committed to the job.

I hope this helps

Good luck!
    :D:D:D:D:D

Do you dream these crack-pot ideas up during deep sleep, or
    do they come as natural as auto-bullsh$t?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody who applies for a job within FMCG (fast moving cosumer goods) should be able to follow basic practices like:
    -willing to be trained
    -learn about stock rotation
    -problem solving
    -presentation
    -good customer service and practices
    -customer focus
    -layout of your surroundings
    -common sense
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just casting an eye over Elke21's post re what you need for a job...
    elke21 wrote: »
    -willing to be trained

yes.
    -learn about stock rotation

yes.
    -problem solving

yes
    -presentation

Again, yes
    -good customer service and practices

definatley yes

-customer focus

yes.

-layout of your surroundings

i suppose so.
    -common sense

definately yes.

All of these are spot on. If you combine this advice with my own you have absolutely everthing covered and will have no problems getting the job at all.

I hope this helps

Good l uck!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP best of luck I'm sure you'll be fine - don't wear the company colours, we've had this conversation on here before when Housewife suggested it and the majority of people (all except Housewife) thought it was a bad idea - just go in trousers and a nice shirt. :)
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I hope this helps

Good luck!
    Oh man I'm having to wipe the tears away!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just casting an eye over Elke21's post re what you need for a job...

All of these are spot on. If you combine this advice with my own you have absolutely everthing covered and will have no problems getting the job at all.

I hope this helps

Good l uck!

:D I am so glad you agree with me, even tho my comment for your earlier post is not complimentary.

But..... I have to ask this:
    Why do you keep coming up with the crap about having to know prices and wearing the shops colours?

Product knowledge is good, but it is not expected of a new starter, to know all products. I bet there are staff in some giant size shops, which don't know half the stuff they are selling.

And sod the bit about the colours. Can you imaging the waiting room at an Easy-Jet interview. 10 applicant, all dressed in different shades of Orange.
    Wear something smart. No jeans, trainers or football shirt. A casual pair of trousers and shirt for male, and casual trousers and nice top, (not boob tube) for females, will do. If you are applying for a management or supervisory position, ideally you should wear a suit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Sainsburys are big on group interviews and assessment centres; they like to know how people opperate as part of a team, as well as how they come across as individuals.

The one thing i would recommend if possible is that you familiarise yourself with the layout of the store, and also with any promotions which they currently have, as this kind of information will more than likely be useful in the process.

Good luck!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But..... I have to ask this:
    Why do you keep coming up with the crap about having to know prices and wearing the shops colours?

1. Its not crap, but i'll come to that shortly.

2. I cant deny that it is feasible to be successful at a job interview without doing these things.

However

These things will GREATLY improve your chances. The human qualities they convey are (to name but a few)

Loyalty
    Stength
    Trustworthyness
    attention to detail
    passion
    foresight
    hindsight
    thinking outside the box
    intelligence
    superior memory

etc...

So having these things on your side is definatley a help not a hindrance.

I hope this helps!

Good luck!
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I only had my interview about a month ago and I had it by myself. The worst part of it was being asked 6 multiple choice questions about what you would do in a certain situation, justifying your response. It isn't that scary though, it shouldn't be that formal. It is only a bloody supermarket after all. Just go in there and be confident, spout some bollocks about enjoying working as part of a team and working with the public etc etc. It really isn't that difficult.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    Well I only had my interview about a month ago and I had it by myself. The worst part of it was being asked 6 multiple choice questions about what you would do in a certain situation, justifying your response. It isn't that scary though, it shouldn't be that formal. It is only a bloody supermarket after all. Just go in there and be confident, spout some bollocks about enjoying working as part of a team and working with the public etc etc. It really isn't that difficult.
    An experienced interviewer knows how to "read" people.

Did you get the job?
  • Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been thinking about applying to our local Sainsbury's myself. Let us know how you get on so I can be less nervous please. ;)

My next door neighbour, a qualified nurse, fancies a job at the local Sains too. No commitment, hours to suit etc, bit of pocket money, so her son can be the priority instead of her job after years of leaving him with childminders. She went in for an application form and she was asked if she had any retail experience, my neighbour responded "No, but it's not exactly bloody rocket science is it." Don't think she'll be invited for an interview somehow. lol Gotta love her. She's fab. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,506
    Forum Member

I hope this helps

Good luck!

I popped into this thread to find out if you would be offering your "company colours" advice ... I was not disappointed!

EDIT - just to show that I'm not ignoring the OP, I agree with most of the previous comments. Be yourself, be confident, friendly, professional, and do SOME research beforehand. Have a few questions in mind yourself as well.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the advice! Yeah I think I'll give the company colours thing a miss. :D I don't even own anything in orange anyway lol!
  • Dancing QueenDancing Queen Posts: 9,917
    Forum Member
    Mr DQ has an orange fleece which he bought for biking - unfortunately he tends to wear it when he pops into B&Q - he takes forever as people keep asking him questions (and he always goes out of his way to help!!:rolleyes::D
    Wearing company colours is never a good idea Housewife part from anything else they might not suit you then you deffo wouldn't get the job;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A-Friend wrote: »
    I popped into this thread to find out if you would be offering your "company colours" advice ... I was not disappointed! QUOTE]

So did I! I knew (s)he wouldn't be able to resist! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An experienced interviewer knows how to "read" people.

Did you get the job?

Of course I did! Like I said, it's a supermarket - not a high paid job in The City. Just so long as you feign enthusiasm that's all they care about. If you go in there all shy and stammering of course you won't. If you don't believe you are worthy of working in Sainsbury's then you'd have to have some real self esteem problems! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those questions you get asked btw (assuming they do the same thing nationwide) are things like "a disabled customer complains there are not enough disabled car parking places, what would you do?" and then you have four choices... just dumb things like that.
    Forum Member
    Those questions you get asked btw (assuming they do the same thing nationwide) are things like "a disabled customer complains there are not enough disabled car parking places, what would you do?" and then you have four choices... just dumb things like that.

Oh right ok, I'm glad you have four choices lol. So you all just sit in the same room and fill in the form? Sounds pretty harmless. I'm sure I'll be fine. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No - I had my interview by myself and I had to answer the questions out loud and justify my response. The more you say the more points you get.

But really, don't worry about it. If you believe in yourself it will show. Smile, sit back and relax. I know it's easier said than done...
    Forum Member
    No - I had my interview by myself and I had to answer the questions out loud and justify my response. The more you say the more points you get.

But really, don't worry about it. If you believe in yourself it will show. Smile, sit back and relax. I know it's easier said than done...

Right ok. I know someone who applied last year for the Sainsburys I'm applying to and they had the group interview so I'm assuming I'll have the same.

So they definitely give you options to their questions though? Or is it just on some? I need to start thinking of answers lol.