janet Jackson - Unbreakable - will it go top ten ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
Forum Member
✭✭
Its been 14 years since her last UK top ten album - All For You reached number 2 back in 2001.
Would be great to see her back in the top ten again .. what do you think her chances are ?

Comments

• HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,627
    Forum Member
    Practically non existent.

No Sleeep barely did anything when it was released. It didn't help that the song was such a snoozefest of a comeback single. I previewed Unbreakable on iTunes and wasn't impressed.

Both songs sound so lazy and void of any redeeming features that will make people remember the songs 5 minutes after you've heard it.

The loyal fanbase will love it because it's Janet Jackson rather than because it's a good song.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    there are elements of both tracks that are great .... but as a song as a whole they are lacklustre ... but there is so much potential here ... so i still look forward to the album .
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was never really that popular in the UK, I doubt this will change that, especially with the current prejudice against older female artists.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    She was never really that popular in the UK, I doubt this will change that, especially with the current prejudice against older female artists.

Have you seen her UK chart history ? She had 5 top ten albums and around 34 top twenty hits .. i think that's not bad going ..
  • JakobGRJakobGR Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    It depends if she promotes the album. A few television appearances could push the album into the top ten.
    Hitstastic wrote: »

No Sleeep barely did anything when it was released. It didn't help that the song was such a snoozefest of a comeback single. I previewed Unbreakable on iTunes and wasn't impressed.

Both songs sound so lazy and void of any redeeming features that will make people remember the songs 5 minutes after you've heard it.

The loyal fanbase will love it because it's Janet Jackson rather than because it's a good song.

Just like Madonna's loyal fanbase. They love everything she releases. She could record herself farting down a microphone, and they would still call it brilliant. They called Give Me All Your Luvin' "classic Madonna" and "amazing", I also recall them saying it was a smash hit in the making. They're incapable of forming a balanced and unbiased opinion when it comes to her music.

By the way, No Sleeep by Janet Jackson has already charted higher on the Hot 100 than Bitch I'm Madonna. Living for Love and Ghosttown didn't even chart.

Janet Jackson might not be as popular as she once was, but there's a good chance Unbreakable will hit no.1 in the US. Discipline did back in 2008. If it does miss the top spot like Rebel Heart, I doubt it will be because of a soundtrack to a new television series. Now that would be embarrassing.
  • jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JakobGR wrote: »
    It depends if she promotes the album. A few television appearances could push the album into the top ten.

Just like Madonna's loyal fanbase. They love everything she releases. She could record herself farting down a microphone, and they would still call it brilliant. They called Give Me All Your Luvin' "classic Madonna" and "amazing", I also recall them saying it was a smash hit in the making. They're incapable of forming a balanced and unbiased opinion when it comes to her music.

By the way, No Sleeep by Janet Jackson has already charted higher on the Hot 100 than Bitch I'm Madonna. Living for Love and Ghosttown didn't even chart.

Janet Jackson might not be as popular as she once was, but there's a good chance Unbreakable will hit no.1 in the US. Discipline did back in 2008. If it does miss the top spot like Rebel Heart, I doubt it will be because of a soundtrack to a new television series. Now that would be embarrassing.

OMG do you really need to turn this into a Madonna hating discussion. The poster simply stated that the loyal fan base would love their artist's songs regardless if the song is good or not, I think it's a pretty reasonable thing to say, it applies to most loyal fan base of any artists? :confused::o
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JakobGR wrote: »

Seriously?
  • JonNgogJonNgog Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    OMG do you really need to turn this into a Madonna hating discussion. The poster simply stated that the loyal fan base would love their artist's songs regardless if the song is good or not, I think it's a pretty reasonable thing to say, it applies to most loyal fan base of any artists? :confused::o

I don't know about you but I love an artist's songs if they are good... my favourite artists have let me down before.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,627
    Forum Member
    Whoa!!! lol

Is the OP referring to the single or the album? I had no idea the album was also called Unbreakable. I'd seen the single appear on iTunes home page which is where I previewed the song. It appears under Hot Songs alongside all other new releases.

If the OP is referring to the album then yes, it will go top 10. Album sales are so poor right now that even if Janet's album sold 15k in its first week, there have been weeks where 15k can get an album as high as #2 in the chart.

If the OP is referring to the single, then I stand by my earlier post.
  • NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's sad that the 2004 Superbowl incident harmed Janet's career and the media decided to ride with it. This is despite the massive hypocrisy with other female artists doing far more risque things than a wardrobe malfunction and getting away with it.

Her last studio album Discipline was very very good.

As for the comment that she was never popular in the UK...check her UK chart history until about 2001. It reads pretty impressively if you ask me!
  • SpaceCakeSpaceCake Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Hitstastic wrote: »

An artist doesn't necessarily need a hit single for their album to enter the top 10, look at Annie Lennox and Celine Dion.

Janet Jackson has the comeback angle to benefit her. If she appears on Graham Norton or Jonathan Ross, as well as having adverts on television, she could probably enter the top 10 for at least a week. Obviously, if she sits back and does no promotion for the album, then it will tank.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't really matter if it's a good song or not at her age, the music industry is incredibly ageist. Even Madonna has a tough enough time getting decent sales in. It happens to them all, even Beyonce will be a "has-been" one day. I remember when Mariah Carey was America's sweetheart, and now look at her.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    It's sad that the 2004 Superbowl incident harmed Janet's career and the media decided to ride with it. This is despite the massive hypocrisy with other female artists doing far more risque things than a wardrobe malfunction and getting away with it.

Her last studio album Discipline was very very good.

As for the comment that she was never popular in the UK...check her UK chart history until about 2001. It reads pretty impressively if you ask me!

And that JT was portrayed as the victim. He was just as guilty. Not that there was much to be guilty of. Just the US and their puritanical views.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's out of the question to be honest. Discipline made #63 on sales of 3,914. Current album sales are abysmal, and according to last weeks album chart, those same sales would have got her into the top 20. The #10 album last week sold just over 7000.

So long as her fanbase hasn't diminished (i really don't think it has) she should easily get a top 20.
  • FruityLoopyFruityLoopy Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be amazing if she could release another Together Again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My personal favourite album by her remains The Velvet Rope.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    And that JT was portrayed as the victim. He was just as guilty. Not that there was much to be guilty of. Just the US and their puritanical views.

I don't think Timberlake was portrayed as a victim, he was made to apologise at the Grammys just like Janet did/would have had to if she attended (I'm not sure if she did).

Janet definitely got the rough end of the two and it was really unfair (in the sense that if the reaction had to be that intense and ridiculous it should have been shared equally) but I don't think Justin was portrayed as a victim.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter if it's a good song or not at her age, the music industry is incredibly ageist. Even Madonna has a tough enough time getting decent sales in. It happens to them all, even Beyonce will be a "has-been" one day. I remember when Mariah Carey was America's sweetheart, and now look at her.

Mariah's fall from grace was so rapid. It's a shame really, as she's produced (IMO) some great music since Rainbow but for the most part it's ignored. She does seem to have fared the best though.

I hope Janet can find success with this album but do I think she can here? Not so much. Maybe in America though.
  • Harry RedknappHarry Redknapp Posts: 4,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a backlash at the Jacksons at the time as there were fresh allegations against MJ.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's not going to be promoting here any time soon as she's on tour in the US during the albums release (October 2nd...Sept 30 if you pre-ordered on her website).

I have no hope of her doing well here if she's not promoting but I've liked both songs so far and the other songs she performed on tour sound promising. She NEEDS to release the song with Missy. Now that's a comeback worthy song.
  • zohar100zohar100 Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    So far in the UK, Janet's 'comeback' has made very little impression. No Sleeep didn't chart and things aren't looking great for the just-released title track, so unless she does a publicity blitz here (which she won't), many people won't even know she has a new album out. If she was releasing at a quieter time, like, say, January, she might have had a shot at the top 10, but the market's much busier in October, so she could easily get lost amongst the other big releases.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might sell ok in the states but i doubt it will do well anywhere else.

But there is very little hype or talk about her comeback though, to be honest, which isn't good.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feedback is still a choon
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be amazing if she could release another Together Again.

Such a great upbeat song, always makes me smile when I hear it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Feedback is still a choon

Agreed! I love the video to it too. I still wonder if the last scene in it is sperm or milk :D