Fujitsu amilo bios password

I need to enter the BIOS to turn on the wireless capability for this laptop but I don't know the bios password. I wiped Vista earlier and have reinstalled with Windows 7 Ultimate. It was my mates Dads old laptop, but unfortunately he is ill and using a ventilator following an operation last week. My mate and his GF called around last night and brought the laptop with them. They couldn't connect to the net wirelessly and there was such a load of crap on the laptop It needed wiping.

Help please.

Comments

• Lemon HazeLemon Haze Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    I got my answer, now I just need to find the file.

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/archive/t-726192.html

It was on rapidshare a while ago, but no longer.

If anyone has FujitsuSiemens_*pwgen.zip I'd be very grateful.
    Forum Member
    It's OK I've found the file but the code generated by trying the bios password 3 times doesn't work :(
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Are you sure you don't just need to install the wireless driver in Windows? You should find it on the Fujitsu website.

Also ensure that wireless is actually switched on via the wireless switch or by pressing the FN key and relevant F key.

And instead of installing (a probably hokey) version of W7, you should have been able to restore to factory settings. This would have installed all drivers for you.
    Forum Member
    No Windows 7 would have installed the drivers, but it just needs turning on in the BIOS.

I found some information, but the link doesn't work. It would be easy enough to turn it on in the BIOS but I can get in there in the first place.
    http://www.fixya.com/support/t1633847-turn_wireless_capability_fujitsu_siemens

I also found 5x4 hexadecimal digits code generator as this is what I get when the BIOS password fails 3 times, but it still doesn't work. I pulled the back panel off the laptop but the CMOS battery is behind the keyboard, but removing the battery does not work. I spoke to my mate and there is no manual for the password, so atm I'm stumped.
    http://dogber1.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/table-of-reverse-engineered-bios.html
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The CMOS battery is there to keep the BIOS alive if there is no other source of power. So if you had the laptop's main battery connected and/or the mains adapter then either of those could be keeping the BIOS alive.

So try unplugging the mains adapter and remove the main battery then remove the CMOS battery and leave it for a minute or so and see if that makes any difference.
    Forum Member
    Well the battery on this model is behind the keyboard apparently and when I took the back panel off last night I couldn't see it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought you had removed the CMOS battery?

You won't get at it from the back panel if it is under the keyboard. That means it is on top of the motherboard and all you see taking the bottom panel off is the underside of the motherboard. If the CMOS battery is under the keyboard then that means taking the keyboard out to get at it.

That may not be as daunting as it sounds. Often you just pop off a bit of trim round the keyboard and undo a couple of screws and the keyboard lifts out. There will be a ribbon cable between it and the motherboard but you should have enough slack to just lift the keyboard out of the way without disconnecting it completely.
    Forum Member
    No I've not removed the CMOS battery yet chris. I think I'm going to connect the laptop via ethernet, do all the updates etc and wait until I see my mate on Friday (as he's gone abroad from today until then) to ask him if I can remove the keyboard.

Thanks for your help chris.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you go here and enter the details of the laptop you can download the manual

http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/productselect.asp?lng=com&Level1=20968&lnid=45

You might find there is a default BIOS password set or there may be some Fn -F key combo that you have to use to turn the WiFi on even if it is turned on in the BIOS. It is not uncommon for laptops to have such a key combo or a switch on the side to switch it on and off.

If there is a F key that you press then it will most likely have a symbol like a transmitting tower on it. Maybe something like this

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/645253/645253,1325609565,131/stock-photo-wifi-symbol-icon-on-white-background-91884044.jpg

That would be the first thoing I would be looking for rather than poking about in the BIOS.
    Forum Member
    Yes it's FN + F1 to activate the wireless connectivity which must first be turned on in the BIOS.

I just read the manual and it said to contact the customer service centre if password is lost.
    Forum Member
    Lemon Haze wrote: »
    No Windows 7 would have installed the drivers, but it just needs turning on in the BIOS.

But have you actually confirmed in Device Manager that the wireless driver is installed and working correctly?
    Yes it's FN + F1 to activate the wireless connectivity which must first be turned on in the BIOS.

I just read the manual and it said to contact the customer service centre if password is lost.

It's unlikely that wireless on a laptop would be disabled in the BIOS by default. Does the manual explicitly state this? Or are you saying that you know the previous owner disabled it?
    Forum Member
    max99 wrote: »
    But have you actually confirmed in Device Manager that the wireless driver is installed and working correctly?

It's unlikely that wireless on a laptop would be disabled in the BIOS by default. Does the manual explicitly state this? Or are you saying that you know the previous owner disabled it?

Yes the device driver is installed and working correctly. It's an Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter. When i go to connect to the net it won't and when I go to diagnose problem it says 'Turn on wireless capability' which ties in with http://www.fixya.com/support/t1633847-turn_wireless_capability_fujitsu_siemens which says 'The issue is that it isn't turned on by default in the bios'

My mates gf said she had never been online with the notebook. It was the same problem with Vista as I'm now having with Windows 7 Ultimate.

I think maybe my mates dad used ethernet, but they will be taking the laptop with them to Spain in the next few months as they work there 6 months of the year and want wireless capability as they will use a neighbours wifi to connect.

I just plugged in an ethernet cable and it's connected to the net.
    Forum Member
    Be aware that the linked forum post about the BIOS shouldn't be taken as gospel.

I presume the laptop doesn't actually find any wireless networks? You can try searching Google for a different version of the wireless driver.....actually, I've just searched the card in Google and it looks like there are a few issues. Some reading here for you:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Atheros+AR5007EG&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Alternatively, if you have access to a USB wireless adapter, install it and see if that connects. If so, you can get a mini one like this for under a tenner.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7811UN-Wireless-802-11b-150Mbps/dp/B003MTTJOY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358193022&sr=8-1

Not the most technical of solutions, but it might be the simplest.
    Forum Member
    Thanks max99 you've been very helpful. I'll read up on the wireless adapter. It doesn't see any wireless networks at present, but there is an update with Windows 7 and is installing as part of the big updates I'm installing atm. If I can't get it too work as you say I can always get them a wireless usb adapter. They also need a new battery and charger. £30 should get them everything.
    Forum Member
    Good luck with it. Let us know if you find a solution to the wireless, as it's always good to get feedback to these kinds of problems.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    max99 wrote: »

Not always, I had a problem with a friends Medion laptop and indeed the onboard wireless was disabled in bios, turned it on and problem solved.
  • cmorriscmorris Posts: 6,157
    Forum Member
    I need to enter the BIOS to turn on the wireless capability for this laptop but I don't know the bios password. I wiped Vista earlier and have reinstalled with Windows 7 Ultimate. It was my mates Dads old laptop, but unfortunately he is ill and using a ventilator following an operation last week. My mate and his GF called around last night and brought the laptop with them. They couldn't connect to the net wirelessly and there was such a load of crap on the laptop It needed wiping.

Help please.

Either find the CMOS Reset pins (should say CMOS Reset) on the board and lay a screwdriver flat covering both ends (this will clear the password) or remove the battery from the unit (motherboard) and and 5 seconds and replace
    Forum Member
    Well I got this fixed in the end. The USB wireless adapter arrived yesterday, together with the replacement battery and charger. I got the wireless adapter working but it was still annoying me that the built in adapter was showing as working and updated drivers etc buyt would not work, I decided to have a go at cracking the BIOS password again using Dogberts 5x4 hex tool for the Fujitsu Siemens from http://dogber1.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/table-of-reverse-engineered-bios.html. I found that last week I had entered the code generated at the wrong point and rather than rebooting after getting the tool generated code from the hex code from the three failed attempts I should have pressed enter where it asked for master password, rather than password and then entered code generated by tool. Well this time it worked, so I changed the password to something simple, but tweaking the BIOS settings made no difference. After further digging around I found that a simple program called launch manager was all that was needed. Installed it and all is working fine :)

http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/Download/ShowDescription.asp?SoftwareGUID=17BD3889-BAB3-4D85-AF7A-4A59BDCCDFCA&OSID=DD13C337-8EFF-4CFB-A589-72971D7BCBCE&Status=False&Component=Application%20-%20Tools%20and%20Utility

I'm still only getting 72Mbps connection from the Wifi though on my desktop, the laptop and with two different cards. I guess it must be the crappy Sky router as I've been through the settings and can't get more than 72Mbps. I've a spare
    Thomson in the garage which I'll try tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    I admire your perseverance and/or stubbornness. At the very least, it should help other people who Google the same problem in the future. Posting the right keywords should bump it up the search listings:

Fujitsu Amilo wireless problem solved fixed solution.

Enable Fujitsu Amilo wifi wireless.

Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter problem.
    Forum Member
    Cheers max99 at least it got fixed in the end, while my mate and his gf are happy.