Liz Jones - YOU magazine (Part 4)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Have you all looked on the Mail online ? She is now learning Tango, Waltz etc for Valentines Day. Her frocks are a little scary.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2278574/LIZ-JONES-learns-tango-Can-learning-worlds-passionate-dance-Liz-mood-love.html

Oh dear oh dear, Lizard. Your chin is like a pick axe, your lips are so thin they almost don't exist - and you know that thin lips are a sign of cruel nastiness - it has been said and not just by the shop assistants and call centre workers you constantly belittle. Your tattoo is absolutely chavtastic (and doesn't look very well done), and; saving the best for last: look at those bingo wings. Flappy days!
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    Gilliedew, I am sorry you think I sound angry.

Well, actually, I do get angry at Liz Jones because what she does and writes actually hurts people, and animals. She hurts her mother (or would do if her mother were compos mentis enough to know what is being written, not to mention Beabarb's point); she hurts other family members by dragging their problems into her writings; she hurts numerous people she has dealings with by insulting them in print; she hurt her neighbours and tradespeople in Dulverton; she hurts her animals by anthropormorphising them and not treating them properly and humanely as circumstances demand.

You obviously are interested enough to read this thread, but it is the people who, like you, ask why we read her if we don't like her, but who actually defend her, that I am challenging here. I simply want to know whether they can actually come up with supporting evidence of their claims to her wit, real love of animals and talent as a writer. She seems to have a talent to get the DM to pay her a lot of money and, as you say, it generates a huge albeit nowadays largely negative response. To date nobody who claims to like her can give examples of why!

Thanks for the reply but at no time am I defending her, just re read my post for that to see that at no time have I said anything nice about her.

I read the DM online and if I see some headline from her which I know will be inflammatory I read it, mainly to see what response she gets and it is always the same, there are her dislikers, shooting from the hip and mostly to no avail because she bangs on about it regardless.

There always will be people who dont agree with you, they will be the ones she singles out to listen too, she will then ridicule her detractors because she is still getting the attention good or bad. I do think it gets to her because I have seen her mention it, Yes, it is all her fault and she could do something about it but she chooses the money way out to keep doing what she is doing.

It is not all for or all against as you have written it, there are shades of grey, like myself, who disliking all she stands for think that keeping on battling against her is fruitless because all she wants is attention good or bad. I know a lot of what she has done, not through reading all her articles but by reading this Forum, so may I repectfully ask that we not be lumped into one corner of likers or haters and thats that as some of us do not feel as strongly as others but still do not care for Liz Jones one iota.
  • FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, so if we can remove all the inflammatory talk of "likers" and "haters", can anybody who finds something positive to say about LJ please share it, in a grown up and logical, coherent way? Rather than "she loves animals" - I think this has been debunked now (anybody who truly loves animals treats them with respect, not like an 8 year old girl, attributing human feelings to them and expecting them to keep adoring her while she prolongs their misery), but an actual example of wit, or a story showing how she is compassionate or altruistic?
    Please? Genuine question.
  • BellaFigaBellaFiga Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has nice calves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    gilliedew wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply but at no time am I defending her, just re read my post for that to see that at no time have I said anything nice about her.

I read the DM online and if I see some headline from her which I know will be inflammatory I read it, mainly to see what response she gets and it is always the same, there are her dislikers, shooting from the hip and mostly to no avail because she bangs on about it regardless.

There always will be people who dont agree with you, they will be the ones she singles out to listen too, she will then ridicule her detractors because she is still getting the attention good or bad. I do think it gets to her because I have seen her mention it, Yes, it is all her fault and she could do something about it but she chooses the money way out to keep doing what she is doing.

It is not all for or all against as you have written it, there are shades of grey, like myself, who disliking all she stands for think that keeping on battling against her is fruitless because all she wants is attention good or bad. I know a lot of what she has done, not through reading all her articles but by reading this Forum, so may I repectfully ask that we not be lumped into one corner of likers or haters and thats that as some of us do not feel as strongly as others but still do not care for Liz Jones one iota.

Sorry to jump in your debate with another FM but I thought my own stance on this very subject might be of interest. When I first started reading Jones it was because a friend who used to be a journalist pointed me to her 'wedding planner' column. She told me she knew Jones and the prospective bloke and the whole thing was fake. It actually wasn't fake. That was just what some people who knew them both assumed because they were so mis-matched and Jones was such a weird cold fish, people thought it was a publicity stunt. It honestly wasn't.

But the wedding planner was a surefire diary of insanity and delusion... every week it seemed less likely any wedding would take place. The more it became clear their relationship was utterly abnormal and dysfunctional, the more pompous and narcissistic and controlling and ridiculous Jones got.

I read for a while the garbage about her 'marriage' which was not a marriage in any context or meaning of the word. Then I dropped reading it altogether as I completely lost interest....

Since the DM is free online I read her Dreary. I wasn't going to be one of those people who comment to say she nuts and point out the discrepancies as I felt why make any comment. Then I realised that there are some fake posters every week who write 'you're so funny, self-deprecating, witty, why don't you write a book / write your column every day / make a film'. Clearly those people are Jones or her agent. Clearly she spouts so many lies that the odd newcomer to the column, ie americans, believe in her lies and it has been known for swathes of lil ole ladies to send her money for her animals in the past. So I feel it necessary to write one post a week saying this woman is mentally ill, her drivel should not be published, etc. Especially when she purports to be dying of anorexia in one breath whilst clearly chunky in recent photos on the exact same site during the same week. Or when people say poor Liz has Aspergers, she doesn't. She absolutely 100% has Narcissistic Personality Disorder which naturally veers into psychosis every now and then. That is actually pretty damn serious. This woman isn't laughing at the readers, she isn't a con, she actually really is the person she portrays. She is off the scale insane. People who have known her in real life can vouch for this. It's not an act.

In that vein I did write to the Editor querying quite how a person of such massive mental illness for such sustained period of time should or could be encouraged let alone facilitated to be printed. I did the same when David Icke was sectioned under the mental health act and yet appeared on several chat shows. Ditto that boxer who lost the plot and built loads of caravans in his garden. It's not really OK to mock the afflicted. But in the circs where she is so horribly dishonest and manipulative and CLEARLY the vast majority of the supportive commenters are fake, I think there needs to be the balance redressed on the comments by the so called haters. Otherwise people send her money and food. They do anyway but its all we can do to let a few people know not to.

Other people say well commenting just encourages her. This simply isn't true. Her column gains little to no comments. Some news stories gain thousands of comments. Some rubbish columns gain hundreds. Her Diary gets less than 100 every week. That is not encouraging her. This thread being in 'showbiz' is. It should be moved to UK newspapers thread.
    Forum Member
    Fatsia wrote: »
    OK, so if we can remove all the inflammatory talk of "likers" and "haters", can anybody who finds something positive to say about LJ please share it, in a grown up and logical, coherent way? Rather than "she loves animals" - I think this has been debunked now (anybody who truly loves animals treats them with respect, not like an 8 year old girl, attributing human feelings to them and expecting them to keep adoring her while she prolongs their misery), but an actual example of wit, or a story showing how she is compassionate or altruistic?
    Please? Genuine question.

.... erm not strictly fitting in with the above -but-

Jones perversely engenders feminism.

By this I mean, her absolute misunderstanding of what feminism is, her complete absence of any ability to support another person male, female, child, baby, or even related, her venomous self-centred vitriol actually causes women who probably wouldn't be too bothered to go HEY I'M BLOODY WELL NOT LIKE THAT!!! Including single women, women who have no children, women who live alone, women who have only pets for friends.....

we all scream from the rooftops, this woman is not humane, she's nuts.... and when we do, we are triggered into a higher state of compassion and empathic care for each other and each other's feral giant children and screaming babies and check out ladies and unknown dying mothers than we ever would normally.
    Forum Member
    Thanks all for the replies, but I have said my piece and really cant be bothered to spend anymore time on her. I will go away for another length of time and I am sure nothing will have changed when I come back and she is still pedalling out her stuff, upsetting people all over the place and having her money paid into the bank.

Sorry I cant say anything nice about her as I honestly cant think of anything but I dont think she is worth spending any more time on. Thanks for the chat.
    Forum Member
    gilliedew wrote: »
    I dont post very often about Liz Jones and usually my point is if you dont like her why read her.

It is not that I am an apologist for her, far from it, I think she is very low in her arrogance and slating everything that she wants and cant have while she writes and behaves as she does.

I dont read her often as I dont buy the paper, if I see her online, if the title goads me into reading it, I will and todays was indeed just that again, preposterus in her pretentions.

But she seems to thrive on her (hate) mail, a harsh word but quite often it is and just drones on and on even about that. I feel if she was ignored, not replied to and told to go away like many of the fashion designers have said to her, one day, just one day, she might get the message as she obviously hasnt yet.

The long thread about her apologists seems really angry, why get angry about her, she is a sad frump of a woman, is ridiculed the length and breadth of the country and cant get a decent man to save her life. Whats to get angry about?

Paula Panzer's answers all suffice for me! (thanks PP)

I also agree that 'anger' is the wrong word.. . I think that LJ is someone who needs to be named and shamed. She's a liar and a thief. The DM has a misogynist agenda that is very clear and I think it's important to not tolerate any of it rather than turn a blind eye it needs confrontation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RegMonkey wrote: »
    Seems to me that the anti-Liz posters are able to offer thoughtful, coherent reasons why they dislike her and her writings. They are able to pick apart her many inconsistencies, and demonstrate the ways in which she is malicious, cruel and hypocritical. The pro-Liz posters don't seem to possess the same abilities, and are reduced to the same handful of rebuttals: ''she loves animals', 'she's very funny'. But are unable to provide any proof to back up their assertions. In fact they are very quick to resort to abuse and personal remarks. Just sayin'.

How can you prove someone is funny? What I find funny, you may not and vice versa! It seems to me the anti-Liz posters spend an awful lot of time reading her column just to be outraged by it! :confused:
  • Paula PanzerPaula Panzer Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Thank you, Happydisaster.

Gilliedew, I'm sorry you didn't read my reply to you thoroughly enough to realise that I wasn't speaking to you particularly. Your argument was clear and you were not defending Liz - my request was for those who do to give us a little more idea why.

And Jenbonjovi, of course humour is objective. Which is one reason why I asked for examples so I can try to understand your point of view. Have you read my post closely? If so you should know that I explained my reasons for following Liz's articles. I suggest you read Happydisaster's contribution and consider whether you can discount what he/she says.Or are you indeed Liz Jones or someone writing for her? If not, it is a very simple request. I can tell you exactly what I find offensive about Liz's writing, Fatsia told us what she found funny that was not meant to be. Can you not provide at least one example?
  • Paula PanzerPaula Panzer Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I'm sure I should be able to edit but I've forgotten how. I meant of course that humour is subjective, not objective. By your giving an example of what you think is funny, it may not persuade me to agree with you but I may be closer to understanding.
    Forum Member
    Thank you, Happydisaster.

Gilliedew, I'm sorry you didn't read my reply to you thoroughly enough to realise that I wasn't speaking to you particularly. Your argument was clear and you were not defending Liz - my request was for those who do to give us a little more idea why.

And Jenbonjovi, of course humour is objective. Which is one reason why I asked for examples so I can try to understand your point of view. Have you read my post closely? If so you should know that I explained my reasons for following Liz's articles. I suggest you read Happydisaster's contribution and consider whether you can discount what he/she says.Or are you indeed Liz Jones or someone writing for her? If not, it is a very simple request. I can tell you exactly what I find offensive about Liz's writing, Fatsia told us what she found funny that was not meant to be. Can you not provide at least one example?

I read and re read your post and it is a bit ambiguous in the part which we differ, so no problem, it happens on Forums where something is written one way and received in another, you know what you wrote and how you meant it but sometimes it doesnt follow through for others.

My bottom line is that not everyone cares enough about Liz Jones to list all her folibles and disasters, but it doesnt mean they are on her side.
  • BellaFigaBellaFiga Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IN WHICH I TRY TO LET SOMEONE TOUCH MY ETIOLATED BODY

Last week I was down in London having "everything" waxed and my roots replastered and my face filled in with the placentas of unwanted babies. I always go to the same place - Minges of Sloane Square - because they know that I do not like to be touched.

When they are waxing my lower downstairs front section they use those things immigrant workers pick up rubbish with in the park. When they are filling my stress lines they use a syringe longer than Nirps's unwashed willy. Just being touched makes me feel nauseous and, given that I haven't eaten since 1993 and that was unintentional, I'm sure you'll empathise.

How, I hear you cry, how do I manage intimacy with my Rock God? Well - he told me not to tell you this but my word count is in peril - he hasn't actually had a hard on since before the Falklands War. He likes to cuddle and I lay glassy eyed until he snores and then I slither away, and wipe myself all over with organic lemon baby wipes. Made with real organic lemon babies.
    Forum Member
    Jenbonjovi wrote: »
    How can you prove someone is funny? What I find funny, you may not and vice versa! It seems to me the anti-Liz posters spend an awful lot of time reading her column just to be outraged by it! :confused:

Nobody has asked for PROOF that someone is funny, just asked what about anything she has written do you find funny?

For example you could say I personally find it hilarious that she said the woman from the farm said she's going to beat her up and burn her house down, it made me giggle. Others may say that is abs not funny in any way at all. But it is still a legitimate opinion if it is your honest opinion no-one can take that away from you.

So far not one single 'defender of Jones' has stated anything they find 'funny'. We all await.....
    Forum Member
    I'm sure I should be able to edit but I've forgotten how. I meant of course that humour is subjective, not objective. By your giving an example of what you think is funny, it may not persuade me to agree with you but I may be closer to understanding.

Lols I was going to say humour is subjective but then it occurred to me that anyone who finds Jiz funny probably wouldn't know what the word means... is that WRONG of me?:o
  • BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing to do would be to post "Liz is funny, for example..." then include something that you think is funny. We might disagree, but at least it beats the usual "Liz is funny !" blanket statement.

As for the loving animals bit... i think she loves the idea of having animals, but is singularly ill-equipped to actually care for them, or house-train them,or to realize when they're falling ill, or that they should be allowed to die with dignity rather than keeping them alive at great expense, and in some distress, just because "I can't live without them". That's not "loving animals", that's being desperately selfish.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lols I was going to say humour is subjective but then it occurred to me that anyone who finds Jiz funny probably wouldn't know what the word means... is that WRONG of me?:o

Well, it's possible that her rantings may come across as amusing to people who don't follow her in any meaningful sense and just read her column occasionally for a laugh and/or see it as one big wind-up. If your starting premise is one filled with her history, then I think it would be impossible to find her entertaining because every ill-structured, bile-filled sentence is just a reminder of every other ill-structured, bile-filled sentence she's ever written. But if someone was randomly dipping in and out and taking her with a pinch of salt, then I think maybe it's possible that she might be found amusing albeit in a crazy old coot way.

Maybe.
    Forum Member
    Bellagio wrote: »
    The thing to do would be to post "Liz is funny, for example..." then include something that you think is funny. We might disagree, but at least it beats the usual "Liz is funny !" blanket statement.

As for the loving animals bit... i think she loves the idea of having animals, but is singularly ill-equipped to actually care for them, or house-train them,or to realize when they're falling ill, or that they should be allowed to die with dignity rather than keeping them alive at great expense, and in some distress, just because "I can't live without them". That's not "loving animals", that's being desperately selfish.

This phenomena has reached epidemic proportions in the USA where a) people have more land and live more remotely, b) there are far more abandoned / stray / feral animals. It is known as Compulsive Pet Collecting Disorder. Exactly the same compulsion as hoarding. Sadly, it is hoarding innocent animals and affecting their little lives. Bizarrely, no matter how many animals starve, die, are infested with parasites, no matter HOW BAD it gets, the perpetrators always claim they love the animals and are 'saving' them. They can't afford the food, they don't use vets or have already run up debts with the vet, they also go away for sustained periods and leave no proper care for the animals either in freezing or boiling temperatures.

Sound familiar???
  • marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anorexic? Like Hell she is, she's not even thin, just look at those thighs!!
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This week's columns tick practically every box on the Bingo card. List of expensive beauty treatments pre date with FRS, only to see said date cancelled at last minute? Check! Spiteful misogynistic rant? Check! Shameless attempt to rewrite history re previous spiteful rants, (the Clare Balding column is available to read online, Liz, so it;s no good trying to claim you weren't nasty about her)? Check! Passive-aggressive shoehorning in of heartstring-tugging dying-animal anecdote to make sure we know she's a VICTIM and an ANIMAL-LOVER and CANNOT THEREFORE BE CRITICISED NO MATTER WHAT SHE DOES! :) Check! A cliffhanger-ending involving possible serious horse illness, miraculously turning out to be a false alarm. Check!

Most unpleasant of all is the simmering undercurrent of casual viciousness that seeps through her every word. When people lean close to her so she can hear them speak, she's "tempted to punch them". When women flirt, she says: "I want to rip off their push-up bras so their breasts sag to their waists and shove a dipstick in their ears (behind which they are always twirling their hair in a manner they have read is seductive) to discern whether or not they actually have a brain."

Really nasty stuff. Is this the sort of thing her defenders find "witty" and "warm", I wonder?

And don't get me started on the story about the "farmer's wife". I wonder whether this woman (presumably identifiable to those in the area) has read the column, and if she agrees with Liz's version of the incident? It's a pretty extreme accusation, after all. If someone threatened to "beat you up" and commit arson on your property, would you just casually mention it in passing, without calling the police or treating it as the big deal it is? Especially if you were the sort of person, as Liz is, who seizes upon every possible tiny grievance and milks it to death, endlessly?
  • sunstonesunstone Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    This week's columns tick practically every box on the Bingo card. List of expensive beauty treatments pre date with FRS, only to see said date cancelled at last minute? Check! Spiteful misogynistic rant? Check! Shameless attempt to rewrite history re previous spiteful rants, (the Clare Balding column is available to read online, Liz, so it;s no good trying to claim you weren't nasty about her)? Check! Passive-aggressive shoehorning in of heartstring-tugging dying-animal anecdote to make sure we know she's a VICTIM and an ANIMAL-LOVER and CANNOT THEREFORE BE CRITICISED NO MATTER WHAT SHE DOES! :) Check! A cliffhanger-ending involving possible serious horse illness, miraculously turning out to be a false alarm. Check!

Most unpleasant of all is the simmering undercurrent of casual viciousness that seeps through her every word. When people lean close to her so she can hear them speak, she's "tempted to punch them". When women flirt, she says: "I want to rip off their push-up bras so their breasts sag to their waists and shove a dipstick in their ears (behind which they are always twirling their hair in a manner they have read is seductive) to discern whether or not they actually have a brain."

Really nasty stuff. Is this the sort of thing her defenders find "witty" and "warm", I wonder?

And don't get me started on the story about the "farmer's wife". I wonder whether this woman (presumably identifiable to those in the area) has read the column, and if she agrees with Liz's version of the incident? It's a pretty extreme accusation, after all. If someone threatened to "beat you up" and commit arson on your property, would you just casually mention it in passing, without calling the police or treating it as the big deal it is? Especially if you were the sort of person, as Liz is, who seizes upon every possible tiny grievance and milks it to death, endlessly?

All true Cathrin.

Can't be bothered to look back but I do remember a comment about Claire having drool down a cheap pullover.

LJ is too thoughtless/stingy to stock up on animal food ,even though we knew snow was coming.The dogs got omelettes ( from vegan eggs?) did the poor bliddy cats starve then?

How is that sodding horse lame AGAIN? ,surely this is not right.

The convenient deafness is a real hoot,especially when she is hurling abuse at service providers down the 'phone.

She claims to have had her breasts chopped off but still has a small bust.As a natural A cup I sometimes wear push up /padded bras.If LJ ripped off my bra they most assuredly won't droop to my knees!( she might.)

Locals in Yorkshire are in for the Somerset treatment it seems.
  • Amused HarpyAmused Harpy Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I wonder what odds Bellagio would give us on Liz Jones leaving Yorkshire and returning to London as soon as possible? It's obvious country life is not for her and she is already complaining about local services which won't endear her to her neighbours. In fact Sunday's Dreary is just one long moan.

I've often thought she needs a good psychiatrist and also a good financial adviser. She's obviously a fibber and a fantasist. It's beyond me how she gets away with so many discrepancies and contradictions. No doubt she thinks we all have short memories.

That article about her tango lesson contained a contradiction.
    Some time ago she mentioned starting a dance troupe with some school friends at school and in her recent article she said she can't dance. This was also picked up by someone in the Mail's comments section. That person remembered her saying about the dance troupe, that she attended the Pineapple Dance Studio and that she was one of the backing dancers when Adam Ant was on tour. It was obvious from her stance that she couldn't dance.

I also noted in the photo where she wore jeans and a sweater that she was still wearing her wedding ring, albeit on her right hand. It seems to me she might still be hankering after that awful Nirpal and perhaps this FRS nonsense is a ruse to make him jealous - as if!
  • Becky SharpeBecky Sharpe Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re: LJ's ballroom dancing. I knew there was something: one month ago the DM commissioned Petronella Wyatt to do exactly the same thing. I'm awaiting Liz's star turn on Dancing On Ice with great interest as you can imagine.:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaFiga wrote: »

Last week I was down in London having "everything" waxed and my roots replastered and my face filled in with the placentas of unwanted babies. I always go to the same place - Minges of Sloane Square - because they know that I do not like to be touched.

When they are waxing my lower downstairs front section they use those things immigrant workers pick up rubbish with in the park. When they are filling my stress lines they use a syringe longer than Nirps's unwashed willy. Just being touched makes me feel nauseous and, given that I haven't eaten since 1993 and that was unintentional, I'm sure you'll empathise.

How, I hear you cry, how do I manage intimacy with my Rock God? Well - he told me not to tell you this but my word count is in peril - he hasn't actually had a hard on since before the Falklands War. He likes to cuddle and I lay glassy eyed until he snores and then I slither away, and wipe myself all over with organic lemon baby wipes. Made with real organic lemon babies.

This post should win a prize. I actually DID laugh out loud.:D
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    BellaFiga wrote: »

Now THAT is funny :D