How do I rescan my sky box?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
Forum Member
I used to subscribe to Sky, I don't anymore, but I still use my Sky box to recieve freeview digital channels.

The problem is I can't get E4 or more4 whcih are apparently now avaialbe on free view, so why can't I get them, I just get a "call this number to subscribe to Sky" if I try and view these channels.

Apparrenlty, from looking through old threads, if I rescan my Sky box I should be able to recieve all the channels. But noone has mentioned how to do this?

I have a Grundig set top box and I can go to "Add Channels" but it doesn't rescan and doesn't pick up the channels I want?

Does anyone know what I can do, I tired calling Sky but I was in a que for 72mins and I gave up on a number of occasions.

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately those channels are on Freeview (the Digital Terrestrial service) but not Freesat from Sky (Channel 4 and Sky have a encryption contract).

Updates are made automatically to the box (like listings and channels) when powering on at the mains, or automatically if left plugged in.

Unfortunately it's either the base mixes from Sky at £15/m or Freeview (DTT).
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    E4 and More4 are subscription channels on Sky (don't ask!)

Freeview is a Digital Terrestrial Service, so I assume you are looking to receive Free to Air and/or Free to View channels on your Sky receiver: For the former you dont need to have any form of viewing card, but you won't get ITV1, Ch4 or Ch5. (Though ITV1 will be Free to Air very soon). For the latter, you can get a Freesat from Sky card for £20 - you still won't get E4 or More4, though!

You do not need to "re-scan" as your Sky box will detect all available Channels automatically (Its just that you won't be able to view them all).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the speedy reply!

It's making sense now, it has nothing to do with rescanning, how annoying.

Looks like I will have to go without those channels for now.
  • StaffordStafford Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    sagass wrote:
    Thanks for the speedy reply!

It's making sense now, it has nothing to do with rescanning, how annoying.

Looks like I will have to go without those channels for now.

Why not just pop down to Asda and get a £29 Freeview STB....You can get E4 and E4+1 plus More 4 and soon Sky 3.... like the Child Catcher says in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...all free today.... :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Stafford wrote:
    Why not just pop down to Asda and get a £29 Freeview STB....You can get E4 and E4+1 plus More 4 and soon Sky 3.... like the Child Catcher says in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...all free today.... :p

or the same price at tesco if you dont have a local asda :)