official or fake accessories

big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
Forum Member
✭✭
what do you prefer to use with your phone? offivial accesories or cheaper versions from ebay etc?

i bought a flip case for my s3 from samsung and it cost£19.99
that one started to look tack so i went on ebay and saw pretty much the exact same one but this one came from china and it cost me £2.99

what do you prefer?

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    what do you prefer to use with your phone? offivial accesories or cheaper versions from ebay etc?

that one started to look tack so i went on ebay and saw pretty much the exact same one but this one came from china and it cost me £2.99

what do you prefer?

I think that may be what is known as a false dichotomy.

there are not only official or fake accessories.

there are unofficial third-party accessories.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »

oh right, couldnt think of the right termonolgy
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »

There are official accessories HTC just released there own official accessories for the HTC one. Then there are unoffical third party ones as well.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Manufacturer accessories tend to be on the pricey side.

it's not just apple these days that will charge you £30 for a bit of wire. even google will charge you a tenner plus p&p for a 1m usb cable that you can pick up else where for a quid.

it was interesting that nokia released the cad drawings for one of their handsets so the unofficial cases should actually fit.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    My wife tends to get 3rd party cases as official ones are just silly money. CrownCase seems to make good quality ones that are keenly prices as well.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And then there's buying the official items much cheaper than RRP from Amazon or trustworthy eBay sellers...

I just got an OtterBox case for my S3 from Amazon for a tenner. £30 in the O2 store.

I'm not against fake stuff but Amazon and eBay are full of bad reviews from folk who have bought the fake products which have then fallen to bits after a few weeks.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3rd party stuff generally. I got a 'free' official Nexus 7 case from ASUS that is very nice (by spending a credit voucher from the price drop).

most of the time its just the manufacturers upselling stuff at high margins. Batteries, headphones, chargers, cases, all 3rd party.
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy official accessories.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I get my accessories from here, great discounts on lots of branded cases: http://www.iworldelectronics.com
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    tman16 wrote: »
    I get my accessories from here, great discounts on lots of branded cases: http://www.iworldelectronics.com

Thanks Mr Spam - the ideal place not to bother with :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheaper varieties (whether they are fake, or 3rd party) are what I pick up now. Basically they might look a little worse for wear quicker, but it allows me to swap colours etc without breaking the bank.