Radio Football Commentators and Reporters 2012/13

Comments

• swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    West Ham vs Newcastle at 3pm on Sat. Slightly odd choice, Norwich/Villa, West Brom/Wigan or Spurs/Soton all possible games that could have been chosen
    they could be trying to spread the commentaries around the relegation clubs a bit maybe? they covered wigan and aston villa last round of matches. this probably isn't the case but could explain what I agree is a strange choice.
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wigan are almost in must win territory but they'll be on next Tuesday I suppose.

Spurs would pull in the ratings just as much as Newcastle. Villa would too and you have Lambert going back to Norwich.

Nothing outstanding to choose from. I'd have gone for Spurs or Villa.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think part of the reason why Radio 5 Live might have opted for West Ham United v Newcastle United because is you have Sam Allardyce and a couple of West Ham players facing their old club, on top of Newcastle's recent run of bad results and the threat of relegation of course. I think Steve's theory could have been a factor too - Radio 5 Live haven't provided commentary on at least the last three Newcastle fixtures, missing out on the Sunderland game as well as the Liverpool one.

Elsewhere in the world, Today FM in Ireland have matched Absolute Radio and picked Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland while according to the SBS Radio website, talkSPORT Live's featured 3pm commentary this weekend will be Swansea City v Manchester City (I guess the reason for this will be that internationally there is far more interest in issues at the top of the table rather than at the bottom, but nevertheless if that is their pick it is an odd one given that so little is riding on it).

I agree with SouthCity in that there isn't an outstanding top pick 3pm match - you could easily make the case for Norwich City v Aston Villa being a live game although I feel Absolute, Radio 5 Live and Today FM have all made good choices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 1st May - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off: Champions League Live

UEFA Champions League Semi-Final Second Leg
    Barcelona v Bayern Munich - Sam Matterface and Andy Gray (commentary)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think part of the reason why Radio 5 Live might have opted for West Ham United v Newcastle United because is you have Sam Allardyce and a couple of West Ham players facing their old club, on top of Newcastle's recent run of bad results and the threat of relegation of course. I think Steve's theory could have been a factor too - Radio 5 Live haven't provided commentary on at least the last three Newcastle fixtures, missing out on the Sunderland game as well as the Liverpool one.

Elsewhere in the world, Today FM in Ireland have matched Absolute Radio and picked Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland while according to the SBS Radio website, talkSPORT Live's featured 3pm commentary this weekend will be Swansea City v Manchester City (I guess the reason for this will be that internationally there is far more interest in issues at the top of the table rather than at the bottom, but nevertheless if that is their pick it is an odd one given that so little is riding on it).

I agree with SouthCity in that there isn't an outstanding top pick 3pm match - you could easily make the case for Norwich City v Aston Villa being a live game although I feel Absolute, Radio 5 Live and Today FM have all made good choices.

even as a Swansea fan that's a strange choice for TS live-- though your reading of the situation is most probably correct.
    thank you by the way for the link to the Uefa.com coverage last night-- was a really good commentary. I'll probably listen again tonight as I think that, although he's improved a lot, Sam Matterface is still the weak link in Talksport's commentary teams. the two Nigels, John Roda and Ian Danter (not necessarily in that order!) are all better commentators in my view.
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sports Extra has the L1/L2 Playoff games on which is fantastic, it's a shame on Monday afternoon that the L1 games aren't on 5Live as it's a Bank Holiday, cancelling the normal news shows would have been fine
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 1st May - UEFA.com

Rob Daly presenting Matchday Live alongside Chris Parrott, Phil Blacker and Paul Saffer

UEFA Champions League Semi-Final Second Leg
    Barcelona v Bayern Munich - Phil Blacker and Paul Saffer (commentary)

To listen, go here: http://www.uefa.com/live/match-centre/cup=1/season=2013/day=12/session=2/match=2009610/popout/audioplayer.html

Glad you got the link working and enjoyed UEFA.com's commentary last night Steve. Thanks really should go to Jimmylad, who alerted me to the upgraded Matchday Live service UEFA now provides last week (I must admit it had slipped beneath my radar until then). I've just heard the audio highlights on tonight's pre-match programme and it sounded like Steve Wyeth did a good job. If you've heard him on talkSPORT Live's commentaries of Sunday 4pm Premier League games, you'll know how a strong commentator Phil Blacker is so their coverage of tonight's match should be a good listen.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Scotland, 1/5/13

Richard Gordon presenting Sportsound from Hampden Park on 810MW.

Scottish Youth Cup Final

Dunfermline Athletic v Celtic - Paul Mitchell, Allan Preston and Billy Stark (commentary) with Jim Spence pitchside
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conor McNamara providing updates on tonights champions league semi final.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thursday 2nd May - talkSPORT

Danny Kelly presenting Kick Off: Europa League Special

UEFA Europa League Semi-Final Second Leg
    Chelsea v FC Basel - Nigel Adderley and Alvin Martin (8.05pm commentary), with Ian Abrahams at pitchside
  • shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 Live - 2.5.13

With Eleanor Oldroyd at Stamford Bridge

Chelsea v Basel - John Murray + Graeme Le Saux (commentay)

Bradford v Burton - Ian Brown
    Northampton v Cheltenham - Russell Fuller
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Leeds, and official Bradford City website
    host: Gareth Jones
    commentator: Dave Fletcher
    summariser: John Hendrie
    reporter: Adam Pope

The Pulse
    host and commentator: Tim Thornton
    summariser: Ian Ormondroyd
    I was at a meeting so I missed the first half and some of the second half, but I've been told Dean Windass appeared on Pulse Sport several times but not during the match.
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    Darren Fletcher apart, I don't think I've seen this mentioned before:
    BBC told staff yesterday that - as revealed by Sports Agenda - radio football commentator Darren Fletcher is joining BT along with Beeb rugby commentator Alistair Eykyn.

BT turned to Fletcher after their first BBC target, John Murray, turned down an approach.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2318655/Rugby-World-Cup-wait-Football-League-Premier-League-fixture-list--Charles-Sale.html#ixzz2SDC5I0Zj
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's disappointing news for 5 Live.

They obviously rate Fletcher highly, he's risen quickly up the ranks and gets to present and do 6-0-6 so that's a bit of a blow.

I actually think they have enough depth to cope without him on football though and will miss him more elsewhere.

Sunday 6-0-6 will have different feel without Green/Fletcher or Chapman (assuming MOTD2 rules him out)

I think Fletcher will be mostly missed from the NFL coverage as there doesn't seem an obvious replacement. That show has been really unlucky in its short life, that'll be the fourth man they've lost to TV.

Shame about Eykyn as well, a loss to both Rugby and tennis coverage. With Overend giving up tennis as well coverage of that sport will have a very different feel post Wimbledon.
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio 5 Live's schedules for the final weekend of the Premier League season:

Saturday 18th May
    09:00 Danny Baker
    11:00 Fighting Talk with Colin Murray
    12:00 5 Live Sport with Mark Chapman - live commentary of the League Two Play-Off Final (13:30) and Heineken Cup Final (17:00)
    19:00 6-0-6 with Darren Fletcher & Robbie Savage

Saturday 19th May
    12:00 5 Live Sport with Mark Pougatch - live commentary of the League One Play-Off Final (13:30) and from the final day of the Premier League season (16:00)
    18:30 6-0-6 with Ian Dennis
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if the BBC do have enough depth to cope on the football front currently. They're probably ok for the regular season but in terms of the 2014 World Cup for instance I think they might have to rejig things a bit. I remember in the past they seemed to have a strong team of commentators for major tournaments even with 2 main commentator but now they tend to mainly use just 1 commentator during the group stage and they look a bit short to me. Presuming Ingham and Dennis mainly concentrate on England reporting duties, you've only really got Green, Murray, McNamara and Bruce-Ball as obvious contenders for radio commentary (the latter of which I really don't rate.) This will be even more the case whenever Green and Ingham retire.

Personally as I said on another thread I'd bring another regular commentator into the BBC to make up a main 4 for TV at major tournaments (preferably Jon Champion) and utilise Simon Brotherton more on the radio, which I think is his main assett. I'd also like to hear John Roeder on 5 Live after his impressive showings for Talksport in the past.

I'm guessing Mark Chapman will host the Saturday 606 regularly next season. If there was a chance of Fletcher going it does seem strange if 5 Live made the decision to take Green off the show - maybe they'll want to reconsider although if he was 'dropped' I can't imagine him wanting to return! I guess someone like Ian Dennis will probably continue the Sunday show if he impresses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the BBC do have enough depth to cope on the football front currently. They're probably ok for the regular season but in terms of the 2014 World Cup for instance I think they might have to rejig things a bit. I remember in the past they seemed to have a strong team of commentators for major tournaments even with 2 main commentator but now they tend to mainly use just 1 commentator during the group stage and they look a bit short to me. Presuming Ingham and Dennis mainly concentrate on England reporting duties, you've only really got Green, Murray, McNamara and Bruce-Ball as obvious contenders for radio commentary (the latter of which I really don't rate.) This will be even more the case whenever Green and Ingham retire.

Personally, if it is correct that Darren Fletcher and Alastair Eykyn are moving to BT Sport (I'm not one to overly doubt Charles Sale, as I think he has a good track record with personnel moves, but neither has confirmed this report on Twitter yet), it would not surprise me if Radio 5 Live brought back Mike Sewell on a contracted basis as a direct replacement for Fletcher on the football commentary/reporting front.

From around the midway point of the season onwards, both Sewell and David Oates until his sad and untimely passing has been/were freelancing as reporters on 5 Live a semi-regular basis, with Sewell having done the odd commentary too. I suspect Nigel Adderley would have been as well had he not found his feet on talkSPORT from about October onwards. It must have been a wrench for 5 Live's bosses to choose to not renew the contracts of those three and others last summer but seeing as they are still on friendly terms with Sewell, it might just be a case that if Fletcher is going they will table another contract offer his way. That would seem sensible to me.

Of course, they could offer something to Adderley instead, but he might feel that he is happy at talkSPORT and would rather be their second/third choice football commentator with a chance of commentating on club finals and quarter/semi-finals at the big tournaments than go back to 5 Live and at best find himself being fifth or sixth in their pecking order even after the retirement of Green and/or Ingham.
    shaun_d wrote: »
    I think Fletcher will be mostly missed from the NFL coverage as there doesn't seem an obvious replacement. That show has been really unlucky in its short life, that'll be the fourth man they've lost to TV.

Two of the other three being Arlo White and Neil Reynolds - I'll probably kick myself when you mention the name, but who is the third person 5 Live NFL has lost to TV?

I think the most probable successor to Fletcher on 5 Live NFL is Tony Husband - he's covered for him on quite a few occasions over the past two years and has TV experience as well on South Today, so could fill his shoes on the Red Button's coverage of Monday Night Football as well. It's worth mentioning that Husband has commentated on football for both 5 Live and BBC Radio Solent, so he could be an option as a replacement for Fletch in both roles.

As for Alastair Eykyn, could someone like James Burridge from BBC Radio Northampton step up to replace him as their secondary rugby union commentator full-time? Burridge has had an increasing presence on Radio 5 Live and Sports Extra, commentating as well as reporting, this season. Or to put another name out there, I'm not sure if Jason Harris (the Saracens commentator on BBC Three Counties Radio) has been heard on 5 Live before but he must be highly rated at local level as he'll be commentating on the British & Irish Lions tour for Swansea Sound this summer, so if he impresses in Australia, 5 Live bosses could look to bring him into their team (perhaps doing what Burridge does now if he steps up to replace Eykyn).
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,555
    Forum Member
    What about Mick Lowes (BBC Radio Newcastle) and a more active role for Adam Pope (BBC Radio Leeds)? Within Rugby Union, I agree with Jason Harris (BBC 3CR).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, if it is correct that Darren Fletcher and Alastair Eykyn are moving to BT Sport (I'm not one to overly doubt Charles Sale, as I think he has a good track record with personnel moves, but neither has confirmed this report on Twitter yet), it would not surprise me if Radio 5 Live brought back Mike Sewell on a contracted basis as a direct replacement for Fletcher on the football commentary/reporting front.

From around the midway point of the season onwards, both Sewell and David Oates until his sad and untimely passing has been/were freelancing as reporters on 5 Live a semi-regular basis, with Sewell having done the odd commentary too. I suspect Nigel Adderley would have been as well had he not found his feet on talkSPORT from about October onwards. It must have been a wrench for 5 Live's bosses to choose to not renew the contracts of those three and others last summer but seeing as they are still on friendly terms with Sewell, it might just be a case that if Fletcher is going they will table another contract offer his way. That would seem sensible to me.

Of course, they could offer something to Adderley instead, but he might feel that he is happy at talkSPORT and would rather be their second/third choice football commentator with a chance of commentating on club finals and quarter/semi-finals at the big tournaments than go back to 5 Live and at best find himself being fifth or sixth in their pecking order even after the retirement of Green and/or Ingham.

Two of the other three being Arlo White and Neil Reynolds - I'll probably kick myself when you mention the name, but who is the third person 5 Live NFL has lost to TV?

I think the most probable successor to Fletcher on 5 Live NFL is Tony Husband - he's covered for him on quite a few occasions over the past two years and has TV experience as well on South Today, so could fill his shoes on the Red Button's coverage of Monday Night Football as well. It's worth mentioning that Husband has commentated on football for both 5 Live and BBC Radio Solent, so he could be an option as a replacement for Fletch in both roles.

I was referring to Nat Coombs who was doing most of the presenting before he went to C4 for last season.

Back to football, I'd like to see McNamara and Dennis do more matches. Both have done less commentary and more reporting than previous seasons. Then the next group of Brown/Brotherton/ABB/Sewell/Woods have only done about 20 5 Live commentaries between them so they could be used more as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was referring to Nat Coombs who was doing most of the presenting before he went to C4 for last season.

Of course! I didn't think of him because he is still very prominent on 5 Live Baseball, which is what I associate him with far more at least as far as radio is concerned.

Regarding 5 Live's football commentary pecking order, it could just be that everyone currently involved shifts up a bit. I'll be interested to see your stats at the end of the season but if a contracted BBC Radio sports commentator like Alistair Bruce-Ball has done less than 10 football commentaries this term - even in spite of his golf commitments - then you have to feel he surely must have to see more opportunities coming his way next season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday 3rd May - talkSPORT

Danny Kelly presenting Kick Off alongside Sam Matterface

League One Play-Off Semi-Final First Leg
    Sheffield United v Yeovil Town - Graham Courtney

Rugby League: Super League
    Bradford Bulls v Leeds Rhinos - Mark Wilson

World Snooker Championship Semi-Final
    Judd Trump v Ronnie O'Sullivan - Jake Robson
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Somerset

Sheffield United v Yeovil Town (nPower League 1 play off Semi final 1st leg) - Dan Albutt (studio host) Ed Hadwin and Chris Spittles (95.5FM / 1566MW)
  • Adam619Adam619 Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    That's disappointing news for 5 Live.

They obviously rate Fletcher highly, he's risen quickly up the ranks and gets to present and do 6-0-6 so that's a bit of a blow.

I actually think they have enough depth to cope without him on football though and will miss him more elsewhere.

Sunday 6-0-6 will have different feel without Green/Fletcher or Chapman (assuming MOTD2 rules him out)

Shame about Eykyn as well, a loss to both Rugby and tennis coverage. With Overend giving up tennis as well coverage of that sport will have a very different feel post Wimbledon.

Their is an obvious replacement already at the station to present the NFL coverage now he is leaving Match Of The Day 2 at the end of the season.

Colin Murray has presented NFL coverage before at Channel 5 and it was mentioned in the press release when it was announced he was leaving MOTD2 that he would present Darts and American Football for the BBC so would be the obvious person to host the radio coverage alongside International Series Highlights the Superbowl and Monday Night Football if they retain that this year.
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me wrote: »
    BBC Somerset

Sheffield United v Yeovil Town (nPower League 1 play off Semi final 1st leg)

I don't know who the local commentators were, but when the teams were coming out onto the pitch BBC Sheffield's pitchside reporter (Gary something) was welcoming people to BBC Sheffield and BBC Five Live Sports Xtra and introducing the players to the crowd.
  • elcraigelcraig Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Sat 4th May
    Radio Lancashire Sport

Championship
    Birmingham V Blackburn - Andy Beyes & Kevin Gallagher (commentary)
    Blackpool V Bolton - Ian Chisnall & Alan Wright (commentary)
    Burnley V Ipswich - Dan Jewell & David Eyres (updates)