Looking for a good printer, cheap to run?

Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As title I guess. I'm looking for a reasonably priced printer with cheap ink (either to buy or out of longevity of cartridges) I'm a student, so most of the stuff will be black and white, like essays, articles, but occasionly coloured as well.

I'd also quite like for it to be small and wireless but their not overly important.

I've been looking on the PC world website and Amazon, but I really have no clue what I'm looking at, or how to avoid one with expensive ink so was wondering if you guys could help me out.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kodak advertise as having the cheapest ink costs but my lad has one of these and its a pile of junk, gives nothing but trouble constantly.

I would look for one that you can get cheap generic ink cartridges off the net, so I would do a google trawl for cartridge costs first.

In my experience HP and Cannon printers don't work well with generic ink cartridges but Epson are OK.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If its mainly black and white then a cheap laser will do the job and you don't have to worry about cartridges drying up etc
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can now pick up a colour laser for around £100, no wireless though. Foot print is pretty small too. As mentioned above, no need to worry about cartrdges drying up and cost per page will be competitive. Only problem is you won't be able to print glossly colour photos, but ideal for colour business graphics, charts, etc.

If you can stretch your budget then HP laserjet CP1025NW is around £170 but includes wireless support including airprint so you can print from ipad for example.
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.printerbase.co.uk/

have a gazz at this website, I use them they are good and pretty cheap fast delivery as well. Also the search function on the site is good - they give you a host of choices to include what you want or do not need.
    I bought a brother 2250dn (network mono laser) I think it was about £70 through the above store (got cash back as well) and then I get the large OEM toner from IJT at £30 a shot and they last for ages and ages.

Best thing is find what you want then see if they do compatibles. I use this seller on ebay to buy compatibles for a HP 3210 http://stores.ebay.co.uk/printchainstore really good ink and very cheap.

One thing I'm finding is I need duplex function more and more, need to find a unit for the hp 3210 that does not cost a bomb. A friend of mine has a kodak 5 hero printer, even though the inks are cheap, the ink does not last a long time and he does not print a lot