KitKat

BunionsBunions Posts: 15,016
Forum Member
✭✭
How are people finding it?

I flashed my Onda V972 with it a few weeks back but went back to ICS because I found it more stable.

The screen was a bit too responsive for me but that might have been an issue with the f/w rather than the update itself.

I'll definitely give it another go when Onda publish the next version because it has really decent printer support.

There's loads of complaints on the Google Forum though, because something has been done that disables the use of some Messaging services.

Not sure if this was an oversight or by design though.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had managed to get flash player working on my Nexus 7.2, but the kitkat upgrade has made it seemingly impossible to run flash now. It froze completely with Dolphin jet pack, or whatever it's called.

Having tried all the browsers recommended for running flash, and had no luck, I bought a 9" Nook HD with Ice-cream sandwich running, which runs flash player.

The nook is great, and I haven't switched the Nexus on for the past two weeks.

Google seem quite clueless when it comes to customer care - if they had shipped the Nexus 7.2 with an earlier version of android pre-loaded with flash player, and given the customer the choice of updating, they would have avoided a lot of the issues with Nexus 7.

Two advisers at google tech support said they hadn't heard there is a problem running flash player on the Nexus 7? When you ask them a question they put you on hold and google for an answer - ironic I suppose. After 5 minutes they both came back and said: "It seems adobe no longer supports android with flash player!"

Will think twice about buying anything with google's name on it in future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I wasn't aware of this, but you're right. KitKat has knocked out the flash player / xscope pro combination on my Nexus 10.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mikdyer252 wrote: »
    I wasn't aware of this, but you're right. KitKat has knocked out the flash player / xscope pro combination on my Nexus 10.

I don't know whether it's true, but a developer on one of the nerdy digital sites claimed it had been done intentionally to stop flash player being used, as apparently it can cause instability.

The 9" nook HD cost me just over half of what I paid for a 7.2 Nexus 32gb, and the nook HD screen is almost as good as the Nexus.

Just have to put it down to experience I guess, i.e. live and learn.

Google strike me as being like microsoft, profit before customer care and full consideration. Roll out the latest tech to get good reviews on digital sites, but if it doesn't fit the customer's needs, then it's just tough. Windows 8 being another prime example. Typical of the American way, from what I've seen of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    You certainly don't need KitKat on any device. My Samsung phone is still running Jellybean & I don't feel like I am missing out on anything.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - Google dropping Flash Player support was a deliberate but stupid act on their part as already said.

The Photon Flash Player & Browser works well though :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mikdyer252 wrote: »
    You certainly don't need KitKat on any device. My Samsung phone is still running Jellybean & I don't feel like I am missing out on anything.
    I agree - I meant I went back to JB and not ICS as I said in my OP :blush::blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I'm loving KitKat on my Nexus 7 (2012), but I agree it isn't significantly ahead of Jellybean in any outstanding way. Well, not on my device anyway. I too am running a Jellybean Samsung (S2), and have bought the Nova Launcher with a KitKat style and really there's very little between them as far as I can see.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KitKat 4.4.2 working fine on my Nexus 7 2012 as it is on my Motorola Moto G.

Not had any trouble playing web embedded video or any of the catch up players so just wondering why you guys need flash player or what it is that KK can’t do.

The only problem I’ve found is with MMS on my Moto but don’t know where to put the blame for that one, is it KK or the Moto or may even be the network I use as others have told me their Moto’s work fine with KK and MMS.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    Yes - Google dropping Flash Player support was a deliberate but stupid act on their part as already said.

Except that's not what happened.

Adobe, who make Flash Player, dropped support for Android. It's nothing to do with Google.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Photon Flash Player & Browser works well though :)

Not on my Nexus 7 it doesn't - are you using it on a Nexus 7 with KitKat, or even the previous edition of android and running FP ok?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Except that's not what happened.

Adobe, who make Flash Player, dropped support for Android. It's nothing to do with Google.
    According to what I've read, there was a massive falling-out between the two companies - something to do with Chrome being bundled with Flash updates?

Apologies if I've got it wrong.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, no falling out. Where did you read that?

The desktop version of Chrome has included an optimised version of Flash Player since 2010.

Adobe allows key technology partners to license the source code to Flash Player so they can better integrate it into their products.

Desktop Chrome's built-in Flash Player is there with Adobe's blessing, and Adobe themselves even say desktop Chrome users should use the integrated version unless they specifically need a different version for development / testing purposes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was adobe who dropped support for flash player, not sure why.

But as already said, if google had shipped the Nexus with 4.1 installed with flash included, and given the customer the option of updating, life would have been a lot more straightforward.

They were in a panic over the issues with 4.2, and were apparently so keen to get 4.3 out that they overlooked the option of shipping with 4.1 + an upgrade option.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    Not on my Nexus 7 it doesn't - are you using it on a Nexus 7 with KitKat, or even the previous edition of android and running FP ok?
    No - Onda V972 running 4.2.2

Streams fine for me - I'm watching CBS on it right now.

I don't have FP installed as I use the Photon browser for streaming.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No - Onda V972 running 4.2.2

Streams fine for me - I'm watching CBS on it right now.

I don't have FP installed as I use the Photon browser for streaming.

Have you rooted it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    Have you rooted it?
    Yep :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The penguin browser works with kitkat fine.
    Use this on iPad and Android for the limited flash content I come across.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cloudmosa.puffinFree&hl=en