Channel 4 has destroyed The Simpsons

Comments

• The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CreamPuff wrote: »
    W!hat a horrible title for a thread. I don't understand some people's thought processess

Yeah, totally agree with you.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,130
    Forum Member
    I don't think they meant bad rape.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is there "good" rape? :confused:
  • fozzie74fozzie74 Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    W!hat a horrible title for a thread. I don't understand some people's thought processess

Yep, can't a mod change it please..? :(:mad:
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member

Oh good grief.

I agree, horrible thread title, no justification for using that word in this context.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They could have meant it in terms of taking something away. Could have chosen another word though.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Very Chris Morris :)

Anyone bothered can click 'alert' on the initial post and simply ask the mods to change the thread title.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm assuming the OP has neither been raped nor knows anybody who has.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hate the title of this thread too, it is offensive, and a horrible use of the word rape. And I speak as a rape victim who HATES the word rape being used like this
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IrishChick wrote: »
    I really hate the title of this thread too, it is offensive, and a horrible use of the word rape. And I speak as a rape victim who HATES the word rape being used like this

Right, well request a change for it then, as I've stated above.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Right, well request a change for it then, as I've stated above.

Done, and alerted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks mods
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member

Exactly. Shoot 'em down! :o
  • drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm I thought the original thread title was pretty badly-chosen (although it's interesting that it managed to survive four whole years unmolested.) But I'm not sure I like the idea of someone changing the thread title to a different word entirely. Like it or not, that's the word the OP chose to use to convey the meaning they wanted to convey. If it isn't acceptable then surely blanking it out would be better than substituting a completely different word with a different meaning. I wouldn't like to see that done to one of my posts.

"Destroyed" dosn't even have the same meaning. You can accidentally destroy something, after all. Whereas the original word clearly means to do something with intent.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    garcia wrote: »
    One of my favourite scenes from the Simpsons is from the episode "Trash of the Titans", where Homer runs for Sanitation Commissioner. Anyway so Homer goes down to the municipal building and:

Homer Simpson: [Pushes in front of a queue] I wanna register to run for sanitation commissioner. And tell the fat cats upstairs things are gonna change in this town.
    Clerk: Okay, but this is where you register as a sex offender.
    Moe: [Arriving at the back of the queue] Oh, jeez, there's always a line.

Channel 4 always edit out the line about the sex offender!! Which makes Moe coming in and saying "There's always a line" completely moronic and meaningless.

Nice one channel 4 for ruining the greatest series ever!!

I love that scene! Hilarious! :D:D:D
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, a thread about senseless censorship of a cartoon due to the use of certain words is itself censored because of the use of a certain word.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    logansdad wrote: »
    So, a thread about senseless censorship of a cartoon due to the use of certain words is itself censored because of the use of a certain word.

The thread itself hasn't been censored in any way.
    Forum Member
    logansdad wrote: »

Quite. The PC brigade swarmed over this thread like flies on manure. I know what the OP meant, it's just others who twisted it to fit into their warped agenda:rolleyes:
  • CreamPuffCreamPuff Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    This has NOTHING to do with being PC! I commented on the title of the thread and am not in least PC! It is a totally unnecessary use of a word that has very real distressing connotations and is not the slightest bit relevant to a cartoon. It sounds ignorant to use it. I don't like the use of it in an old Police song either. Why some people seem dead against any kind of boundaries is beyond me!
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has NOTHING to do with being PC! I commented on the title of the thread and am not in least PC! It is a totally unnecessary use of a word that has very real distressing connotations and is not the slightest bit relevant to a cartoon. It sounds ignorant to use it. I don't like the use of it in an old Police song either. Why some people seem dead against any kind of boundaries is beyond me!

So you agree that the "sex offenders line" joke should be censored? After all that is an unnecessary piece of humour that has connotations to rape.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who do we write to to get the use of the hyperbolic phrase 'PC Brigade' banned*? Who is in this 'Brigade'? Where do they hold their meetings and how do they organise their efforts? I want in.

*I realise this would require the Daily Mail to employ a whole new writing staff.
    Forum Member
    I don't know that part or the context in which is written, I'm not an avid watcher, my kids watch it and love it, I am, you might be surprised to know, a fairly liberal parent who doesn't stifle my kids knowledge or curiosity of the world. My gripe is with the word being used in this thread title, for what reason I don't know, to convey what exactly? Rape is not a word used casually in mainstream conversation. I may say to my mother so and so is murdering a song, I wouldn't say to her so and so is raping that song? Would you???
    Forum Member
    I don't know that part or the context in which is written, I'm not an avid watcher, my kids watch it and love it, I am, you might be surprised to know, a fairly liberal parent who doesn't stifle my kids knowledge or curiosity of the world. My gripe is with the word being used in this thread title, for what reason I don't know, to convey what exactly? Rape is not a word used casually in mainstream conversation. I may say to my mother so and so is murdering a song, I wouldn't say to her so and so is raping that song? Would you???

I would:confused:
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't see this thread with the original title, but when I saw the new title I knew exactly what the thread was about - censorship of The Simpsons. So I don't see any problem with the new thread title. It does its job.
    Forum Member
    I would:confused:

Then I am sure we are both sighing in relief we are not mother and son :eek: