Independence Day Sequels

Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So far, it looks like it's definitely going to get made - with or without Will Smith (they really don't need him). And it sounds like director Roland Emmerich figured out what he wants to do. The title of the 2 sequel films is TERRIBLE though: "Independence Day Forever - Part 1 & Part 2". But they're just titles so who gives a crap :D . This is what he has to say about what is planned:
The films take place 20 years after the original, when a distress call sent by the first wave of aliens finally brings reinforcements to Earth. ”The humans knew that one day the aliens would come back,” explains the director, who completed two scripts with Independence Day co-writer Dean Devlin and has given them to White House Down writer-producer James Vanderbilt for a rewrite. ”And they know that the only way you can really travel in space is through wormholes. So for the aliens, it could take two or three weeks, but for us that’s 20 or 25 years.”

And:
Emmerich says he’s also working with an art department staff to see how the world of ID Forever might look. “It’s a changed world. It’s like parallel history. [Humans] have harnessed all this alien technology. We don’t know how to duplicate it because it’s organically-grown technology, but we know how to take an antigravity device and put it in a human airplane,” he explains. After the mass destruction of the original Independence Day, what’s left for new aliens to destroy? “We’ve rebuilt,” Emmerich answers, with a smile. “But [the aliens] also do different things.”

I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully they will be more exciting than the original film. You can read more about it here: LINK

Comments

• thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there's no involvement from the original stars it sounds like another alien invasion film with only the title making it an Independance Day sequel. Nothing about the end of the original leads organically into a sequel and it's not like there are any story strands to continue.

All that said, I'm still looking forward to it. Who doesn't like a mega-budget alien invasion film?
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they've been talking about sequels for years haven't they ?
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they've been talking about sequels for years haven't they ?

Yeah, but this time Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin (ID4 creators) are finally stepping forward confirming that they want to do it. And they actually wrote a script. The film studio has been wanting to make a sequel for years now. It's all just a matter of fine tuning and finalizing the script.

I expect that the first sequel will be released during the summer of 2015 at the earliest.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there's no involvement from the original stars it sounds like another alien invasion film with only the title making it an Independance Day sequel. Nothing about the end of the original leads organically into a sequel and it's not like there are any story strands to continue.

All that said, I'm still looking forward to it. Who doesn't like a mega-budget alien invasion film?

Me!
    Independence Day was an overblown let down. A weak idea strung together with set-pieces ruined by the trailer.

Pah, no thanks. Get some new ideas Hollywood.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I heard that Bill Pullman signed back up!
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    The aliens were defeated. End of story

No sequels are necessary. If they need to do another ID movie, it should be a prequel showing how they kidnapped and probed Randy Quaid.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He seems to like increasing the destruction with each disaster movie he makes. But after the mass destruction he did with 2012 what else can he possibly do? Crash the moon into earth? Blow up the solar system? :D

Hopefully the aliens with have upgraded their firewall for the sequel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No sequels are necessary. If they need to do another ID movie, it should be a prequel showing how they kidnapped and probed Randy Quaid.

I think 'anally' was how they said it was done in ID4!
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    In the sequels the aliens will blow up Roland Emmerich

He's breaking the fourth wall!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In the sequels the aliens will blow up Roland Emmerich

He's breaking the fourth wall!

All of them? Do not forget they didn't infect the aliens but the spacecraft they used to invade us. Who knows how many more are out there.

I'm not fussed if they bring this sequel out either way, but if they turn out to be good then bring it on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Sounds good. Have to say I did like the first film so will be looking forward to a sequel. Hope it is not a let down.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would have liked to have seen a PREQUEL, when the original fighter / scout lands here.

also why not have the ORIGINAL alien "invaders" have an enemy of their own, perhaps being forced to move from their own planet ..... then have that alien race come here to wipe out the originals ..... then find us STILL ALIVE :eek:

hilarity ensues :D
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sound like just another excuse for a Will Smith & his kid movie to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He hasn't yet signed up to the project has he?
  • LeightonismeLeightonisme Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    My mother is kind of obsessed with the 1st film please don't let more follow omg.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    He seems to like increasing the destruction with each disaster movie he makes. But after the mass destruction he did with 2012 what else can he possibly do? Crash the moon into earth? Blow up the solar system? :D

Hopefully the aliens with have upgraded their firewall for the sequel.

Increased destruction but crap storylines seems to be standard Emmerich fare.

Is Boomer going to be in it? Im not watching it if there's no Boomer.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure the ship has well sailed for a sequel / prequel. Should have gotten a follow-up out within 5 years of the original.
    I think Joe Public are only interested in seeing the world being saved from mass destruction, if it's by a band of super-beings in tights...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I see they've already done a cheesy scifi movie that's to be released soon. Something involving them hating each other and then coming to bond and love each while being chased by evolved CGI animals in the future. With strange accents too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

By a simple thing such a computer virus!!!! I'm sure if they had better bouncers on their doors they would have destroyed earth in the first movie! ;)

I loved the first movie i think if Bill Pullman is back well then for me that's the only connection it needs! Will Smith is no major loss for it but i love the idea of a cliffhanger in the 2nd movie sounds epic looking forward to it!
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet the Americans don't save the day with very little help from the rest of the world in the sequels. Honestly, I bet they don't.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the budget, if we're talking $200+million I think Will Smith will sign on and it will be a huge success.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet the Americans don't save the day with very little help from the rest of the world in the sequels. Honestly, I bet they don't.

Would you rather they didn't? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tally ho! Us English chaps are right behind you Americans! :D
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have preferred to see a film showing a different perspective of the original attacks, say from the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    I'd have preferred to see a film showing a different perspective of the original attacks, say from the UK.

Sure. I can totally see Emmerich and Devlin going for that idea. :o;)