sky hd box bridge

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
Forum Member
I know you can get the sky Wireless Connector black box for around the £21 mark and i also know there are offers on it from time to time so please no posts on this.

anyway my question is do you recommend it or do you know of a better one (how does the sky bridge sold on ebay compare)

I have 2 sky hd boxes ( 1 multiroom) with the main one hard wired to the router but i can only go wireless for the second

i dont mind paying the £21 but for example will an old router in bridge mode be better or what

Comments

• DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hawkwind wrote: »
    I know you can get the sky Wireless Connector black box for around the £21 mark and i also know there are offers on it from time to time so please no posts on this.

anyway my question is do you recommend it or do you know of a better one (how does the sky bridge sold on ebay compare)

I have 2 sky hd boxes ( 1 multiroom) with the main one hard wired to the router but i can only go wireless for the second

i dont mind paying the £21 but for example will an old router in bridge mode be better or what

Using an old router in bridge mode will give you about 25Mbs on each of the four outputs (if they are all used), if its the only thing on there then you would get a bit more speed as its essentually a switch so it would vary acording to whats plugged in.
    You can get long cables, if that works better, its all dependent on what your broadband speed is mostly.
    Wifi could suffer from drop outs, whereas hard wiring will allways work as long as there is no phisical break in the connection (which includes any switches/extra routers getting acidently being turned off!)
    I prefer hard wiring myself and I use 3 routers (two as switches each expaning one output of the main router to 4, with my Sky box off one of the extended ones), on my home network and never have any issues. So I can say from experiance that setup works fine.
    Like I say though its up to you and if you have a high speed broadband connection (say 50Mbs +), then the router extention methord could cut the final speed a bit.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Homeplugs are also an option
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    I already have one sky hd box hard wired (long cable through 3 rooms but not the room i want the second box in)
    anyway thanks for the replys will think about home plugs but with them i will still have to get a bridge or wire across a room as my plugs are at the other side of the sky box
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I already have one sky hd box hard wired (long cable through 3 rooms but not the room i want the second box in)
    anyway thanks for the replys will think about home plugs but with them i will still have to get a bridge or wire across a room as my plugs are at the other side of the sky box

How close are the 2 rooms?

You could put a router/switch in the room with the Sky box, plug your current cable into that, and then a second cable from the router to the Sky box, then run a third cable to the second location.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member

Try this at Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-CV-7428NS-Universal-Bridge-Blu-ray/dp/B00ADHLDPQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3B4N4I6ITDXVM&coliid=I3V1PP4LR03LP3
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Niskin wrote: »
    The Sky Adaptor is £21 (or free with the right subs). Why would they pay £30 for that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    The Sky Adaptor is £21 (or free with the right subs). Why would they pay £30 for that?

Sky adapter has 1 port that has 5