• rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Works for me. Ipad 2 on iOS 6 . Something
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boyzie wrote: »
    Unless he's on ios 6 and the app only supports up to iOS 5 of course.

As the poster says they're "a total techie halfwit" it's far more likely that the iPad2 hasn't been updated since the day it came out of the box, in which case the app's probably been updated with new iOS features and so requires a much newer version of iOS.

I've seen this scenario quite often before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I purchaced the samsung galaxy tab 2 and so far so good. I don’t have any complaints really. It's taking a little getting used to however as I'm used to my Apple software. The key board especially. It also took a life time it sremrd to charge ha. Anyone know any ‘must have’ apps to dl?
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got this on my I-pad.. Here is a link to the android app

http://www.tvcatchup.com/android.html
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bandapart wrote: »
    I purchaced the samsung galaxy tab 2
    Anyone know any ‘must have’ apps to dl?

Cerebus is a pretty decent remote locking/wiping/finding/anti-theft app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lsdroid.cerberus&hl=en
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    I've got this on my I-pad.. Here is a link to the android app

http://www.tvcatchup.com/android.html

Thanks a million for that link, I tried this on my bottom of the range Samsung Smartphone and it works perfectly.. my smartphone isn't compatable with the Iplayer so this app is very useful. I might even try it on my cheapo £50 tablet...:p:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    I recommend the Dell Latitude 10 I have one personally

EDIT: Just noticed you have bought one now already, owell :D
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear I think I am as confused now as when I started reading this thread! I am also in the market for a tablet of some sort (I already have lots which my doctor gives me!!)

My brother has the Samsung Galaxy and is extremely pleased with it. Both a friend of mine and a salesman in a local Currys (other electrical stores available!) both recommend the iPad mini. One main reason they both gave is that their apps are completely virus-free, but with other products you don't know what apps you are downloading.

For the amount of use I will be giving it, mainly for e-mails and web browsing, I don't want a contract but true PAYG, ie without an expiry time. I was told by the salesman that MiFi is available on that basis. What I don't understand is the costs for this - is it charged by time you are online or by the amount of usage? I have a mobile dongle with my laptop which gives me just over 1000 mB of data usage per month (more than sufficient), but that is on a contract and I am paying for something that I am not using. Does a tablet use the same amount of data (presuming I use it in the same way?), and is it any more expensive than a mobile dongel?

As soon as I get rid of my wind-up gramophone, I feel I will be fully equipped for the 20th Century :D
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One main reason they both gave is that their apps are completely virus-free, but with other products you don't know what apps you are downloading.
    I think that's nonsense.

Windows RT tablets can only download apps from Microsoft's app store. Android tablets made by different manufacturers download their apps from different app stores (Nexus from Google Play, Kindle Fire from Amazon, etc). Hacking might be able to modify a tablet to download apps from alternative sources but that definitely wouldn't happen by accident. AFAIK in all cases the official app stores apply quality and malicious software checks before making apps available.
    For the amount of use I will be giving it, mainly for e-mails and web browsing, I don't want a contract but true PAYG, ie without an expiry time.
    All tablets have wi-fi (i.e. 802.11) which enables them to connect to the Internet via a house's wireless router, or via a public wi-fi hotspot. Is that enough, or do you also need to connect via 3G (a mobile phone operator's network)? If so, you'll need to be sure to purchase a tablet with 3G, which is more expensive. Sorry, I don't know anything about 3G charges and can only suggest checking a few appropriate web sites.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Windows RT tablets can only download apps from Microsoft's app store. Android tablets made by different manufacturers download their apps from different app stores (Nexus from Google Play, Kindle Fire from Amazon, etc). Hacking might be able to modify a tablet to download apps from alternative sources but that definitely wouldn't happen by accident. AFAIK in all cases the official app stores apply quality and malicious software checks before making apps available.

Thanks, that is useful to know.
    All tablets have wi-fi (i.e. 802.11) which enables them to connect to the Internet via a house's wireless router, or via a public wi-fi hotspot. Is that enough, or do you also need to connect via 3G (a mobile phone operator's network)? If so, you'll need to be sure to purchase a tablet with 3G, which is more expensive. Sorry, I don't know anything about 3G charges and can only suggest checking a few appropriate web sites.

I think I would need something 'more' than wi-fi. That is what I have on my laptop, but I often stay away from home at weekends, and the house hasn't got a router (not worth it for just a weekend). Also when travelling on train / coach there isn't always wi-fi available, and some hotels actually charge to use their service!

Do you know any advantages / disadvantages of 3G over MiFi??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiFi is just another name for public wifi - but perhaps an expert can confirm or correct that?
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that's nonsense.

Can't you sideload with Android tablets like you can do with phones? Problem with Google Play anyway is that there's no certification process AFAIK. They just scan the app and withdraw it later if it turns out to be a malware. iOS apps have to pass a certification process, Same with Windows RT. You can install developer license on Windows RT though and sideload anything. The license is for free, but has to be renewed monthly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Can't you sideload with Android tablets like you can do with phones?
    I'd consider sideloading to be a form of hacking and not something that ordinary users would do.
    Problem with Google Play anyway is that there's no certification process AFAIK. They just scan the app and withdraw it later if it turns out to be a malware.
    "Google currently uses an in-house automated anti-virus system to remove malicious Apps uploaded on to the marketplace called Google Bouncer."
    - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_play#Malicious_apps
    But unfortunately that article doesn't make it clear whether apps go live before or after being checked.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samsung give away avg free on their store. If viruses are not a problem you have to wonder why they signed that agreement with the suppliers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear I think I am as confused now as when I started reading this thread! I am also in the market for a tablet of some sort (I already have lots which my doctor gives me!!)

My brother has the Samsung Galaxy and is extremely pleased with it. Both a friend of mine and a salesman in a local Currys (other electrical stores available!) both recommend the iPad mini. One main reason they both gave is that their apps are completely virus-free, but with other products you don't know what apps you are downloading.

For the amount of use I will be giving it, mainly for e-mails and web browsing, I don't want a contract but true PAYG, ie without an expiry time. I was told by the salesman that MiFi is available on that basis. What I don't understand is the costs for this - is it charged by time you are online or by the amount of usage? I have a mobile dongle with my laptop which gives me just over 1000 mB of data usage per month (more than sufficient), but that is on a contract and I am paying for something that I am not using. Does a tablet use the same amount of data (presuming I use it in the same way?), and is it any more expensive than a mobile dongel?

As soon as I get rid of my wind-up gramophone, I feel I will be fully equipped for the 20th Century :D

If you have sky broadband you get access to sky wi fi

http://www.sky.com/products/broadband-talk/sky-wifi/features/
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    Samsung give away avg free on their store. If viruses are not a problem you have to wonder why they signed that agreement with the suppliers.

becuse they know that people are starting to target Android andso being poactive
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Google currently uses an in-house automated anti-virus system to remove malicious Apps uploaded on to the marketplace called Google Bouncer."
    - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_play#Malicious_apps
    But unfortunately that article doesn't make it clear whether apps go live before or after being checked.

Quite sure they check them before publishing. But it's the same story like with Windows. AV scanners are one step behind and sometimes you notice too late.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    If you have sky broadband you get access to sky wi fi

http://www.sky.com/products/broadband-talk/sky-wifi/features/

No - only Freeview and that comes with nothing!
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Can't you sideload with Android tablets like you can do with phones? Problem with Google Play anyway is that there's no certification process AFAIK. They just scan the app and withdraw it later if it turns out to be a malware. iOS apps have to pass a certification process, Same with Windows RT. You can install developer license on Windows RT though and sideload anything. The license is for free, but has to be renewed monthly.

You can Sideload but you need to go deep into a menu to enable it. I notice that the options to enable usb debugging and development on android are now hidden in 4.2

I'd be surprised if Android didn't do a scan for malware. iOS apps are certified but they are probably still mostly automated processes.

In any case unless you have your android tablet rooted, the apps will be very well sandboxed and unlikely to harm your system.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd consider sideloading to be a form of hacking and not something that ordinary users would do.

Sideloading is nothing like hacking! :confused:

Its just manual installation!
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    You can Sideload but you need to go deep into a menu to enable it. I notice that the options to enable usb debugging and development on android are now hidden in 4.2

I'd be surprised if Android didn't do a scan for malware. iOS apps are certified but they are probably still mostly automated processes.

In any case unless you have your android tablet rooted, the apps will be very well sandboxed and unlikely to harm your system.

I've sideloaded apps onto my android tablet and phone and it's quite a straight forward process.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some apps are scary though. Was looking at one yesterday which was supposed to make your photos like a pencil sketch but on the permissions listed it had may cost you money as allowed the app to make calls without your permission. Why on earth did it need that? Didn't install it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Some apps are scary though. Was looking at one yesterday which was supposed to make your photos like a pencil sketch but on the permissions listed it had may cost you money as allowed the app to make calls without your permission. Why on earth did it need that? Didn't install it.

It needs to fax the picture to an artist that does the sketch :p It looks like they want people to agree to things so they cannot complain later when they get the phone bill. Just shows that one has to pay attention when installing apps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No - only Freeview and that comes with nothing!

you can get sky talk and sky broadband without the sky tv package.. their unlimited broadband service without the tv package is £10 per month plus line rental.. it was this service that I had in mind when I read about your circumstances. sky recently started a new free service called sky wi-fi. all you do is register your details on their sky wi-fi app, and if you are near a wi-fi hotspot it lets you know and you can have unlimited wi-fi at no extra cost.. this explains it..

http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/broadband-unlimited/
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol ivan at faxing to artist :-)