Format changes - destined to fail?

InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,764
Forum Member
So it looked like we've to intimate auditions, then they do arena auditions, then bootcamp, then judges houses.. isn't that just overkill? :o

Comments

• JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    I read somewhere that the bootcamp stage is where they'll use arenas. Not Arena auditions and then bootcamp, correct me if I'm wrong?
  • tvmad999tvmad999 Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That and revamps to shows never succeed. Look at Dancing On Ice, has made several revamps to the format in recent years and now it's getting axed!
  • jackel1234jackel1234 Posts: 5,218
    Forum Member
    tvmad999 wrote: »
    That and revamps to shows never succeed. Look at Dancing On Ice, has made several revamps to the format in recent years and now it's getting axed!

I swear there's never been any change to Dancing On Ice whatsoever
  • WhiteShadeWhiteShade Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Dancing On Ice was canned because it was pants.
  • KingsyKingsy Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »
    I read somewhere that the bootcamp stage is where they'll use arenas. Not Arena auditions and then bootcamp, correct me if I'm wrong?

I thought this would be the case, but I haven't heard it. Wouldn't it make more sense though? Surely just add on another 'section' to Bootcamp at the start where they audition individually, then put them into groups or whatever?
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackel1234 wrote: »
    I swear there's never been any change to Dancing On Ice whatsoever

Not changes as such, just daft 'twists' eg where the contestants decide who gets voted off - so they could use the pun 'It's the Ice Pick' :D;)
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the arena auditions will just be the new first stage of bootcamp.
  • HughOSHughOS Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arena auditions are just new bootcamp.

They are welcome changes tbh. Last years auditions were boring and bootcamp in particular has always been the dullest period of the show. I'm looking forward to acapella auditions, it will be easier to figure out who can actually sing from an early stage. Should cut down on novelty acts too who skate through the early rounds on their 'stage presence'
  • gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    really glad the intimate auditions are back, I always preferred it, and you get to see the judges emotions towards the contestants more.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    hoping the audition changes will see fewer acts like rylan make it thru as the judges are less likely to be influenced by how the audience reacts to someone with a big personality but cant sing
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The intimate auditions are sooooo much better, the arena ones doe smy head in as if they think someone is good they let them perform the whole freakin song, whereas the accapella ones you get to see alot more and it moves much quicker, plus you dont have to look at the cringe worthy clips that have been added in from the audience pulling gobsmacked faces at parts from a different singer.
  • Gavin_MartinGavin_Martin Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i believe and i do keep saying it is that sharon's return to x factor is to bring back the viewers who switch over to BBC 1 and i do believe that, Not just to do with the 10th season of uk x factor
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    Horse flogging dead a
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    Horse flogging dead a

I don't quite understand...is someone finally saying the XF's a dead flogging horse? Like we haven't heard that before...
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    The idea of the intimate auditions, is that the weak singers have nowhere to hide. The one thing they do need to change, is the cutting of 60-odd contestants at bootcamp before they've even sung, as we saw in the last two series which was beyond ridiculous.

I think as far as the auditions are concerned, they'll be running for the same period (6-7 weeks), but with the first few weeks focusing on the closed auditions, and the final few focusing on the arena auditions. The whole point of these is to show if they do indeed have any stage presence.

I liked in Xtra Factor in 2009 when you had the judges choosing from a list of callers, and you'd get at least one lunatic each week. :D I wish they'd go back to that, and make Xtra Factor as entertaining as the main show.
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    I don't quite understand...is someone finally saying the XF's a dead flogging horse? Like we haven't heard that before...

It's destined for the glue factory and Osborne will help it on its way
  • burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They also need to change the live show lengths and results show.

i.e. have two acts in between commercial breaks and cut down on some of the crap in the introduction which usually lasts about 10 mins. They should also have a live band to accompany the artist like on The Voice/Strictly rather than a backing track.

The results shows are the worst! The actual results don't start until the latter half of the show. They should spread it out better over the programme to make people watch the whole thing. Plus they need to axe the judges vote imo, they could easily re-open lines after bottom two announcement and then announce eliminee at the end of the show. This is how I'd re-work it...

20:00 Intro, group performance, lines close
    *Break*
    20:15 first guest performer + announce results
    *Break*
    20:30 Bottom two perform and lines re-open + second guest performer
    *Break*
    20:50 Lines close, judges chat asking who they'd pick (or third guest performer), result of eliminee
    Forum Member
    burbe wrote: »
    They also need to change the live show lengths and results show.

i.e. have two acts in between commercial breaks and cut down on some of the crap in the introduction which usually lasts about 10 mins. They should also have a live band to accompany the artist like on The Voice/Strictly rather than a backing track.

The results shows are the worst! The actual results don't start until the latter half of the show. They should spread it out better over the programme to make people watch the whole thing. Plus they need to axe the judges vote imo, they could easily re-open lines after bottom two announcement and then announce eliminee at the end of the show. This is how I'd re-work it...

20:00 Intro, group performance, lines close
    *Break*
    20:15 first guest performer + announce results
    *Break*
    20:30 Bottom two perform and lines re-open + second guest performer
    *Break*
    20:50 Lines close, judges chat asking who they'd pick (or third guest performer), result of eliminee

The more they change it around the more they are going to lose viewers. They should just look back at what worked for them during series 6 & 7 as that's when the live shows rated best.
  • steve2013steve2013 Posts: 2,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    hoping the audition changes will see fewer acts like rylan make it thru as the judges are less likely to be influenced by how the audience reacts to someone with a big personality but cant sing

wont change a thing if producers want a big personality through that cant sing itll happen regardless of how auditions are doen
  • Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    It's destined for the glue factory and Osborne will help it on its way

Oh I don't think it'll be Sharon, I think Barlow has been a factor in the show's sliding ratings - he has the charisma of a cardboard cut-out (not to mention him inflicting Cocozza on the nation :o)

He's proof that being an experienced singer/songwriter does not equate to being a great judge.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not really a format change, just another stage tacked on to the beginning! I was initially happy at the news that closed auditions were returning, until I saw that they were still doing arena auditions afterwards. If the auditionee is attractive and/or the song choice is an upbeat hit, the judges often get swayed by screaming girls in the audience and the supposed entertainment value of the performance, which wouldn't happen in closed auditions.
    Forum Member
    Oh I don't think it'll be Sharon, I think Barlow has been a factor in the show's sliding ratings - he has the charisma of a cardboard cut-out (not to mention him inflicting Cocozza on the nation :o)

He's proof that being an experienced singer/songwriter does not equate to being a great judge.

I agree that Gary hasn't yet gained that 'spark' about him that makes BGT interesting, or like Simon had which is probably down to the huge ratings in 2009 & 10.
    Forum Member
    steve2013 wrote: »
    wont change a thing if producers want a big personality through that cant sing itll happen regardless of how auditions are doen

They have someone who they try and put across as a joke act every other year. That's not why people are turning off though. Apparently, Jedward were boosting the ratings, and once they were voted off, the ratings dropped a bit until the final. A different story the following year when they had Wagner - ratings just kept on increasing.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This year will get msssive ratings
    Forum Member
    This year will get msssive ratings

It's too early to say. It's all down to the launch rating I feel.