Capital FM Network (Part 2)

Comments

• Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Ghetto Superstar..??? WTF... Tinpot FM or what!

Actually i don't think it's the worst choice in the world. Didn't hear what was played before or after it but it firs in with the broad R&B genre that's littering the charts right now.
  • freerjfreerj Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Jarred the whole sound of the station with that track.

I can't believe they've bottled simple knocking out high rotation hits within 6 weeks.

but they haven't ! They have been running on high rotation for at least 6 months and found out that despite spending loads and loads on promoting the Jingle Bell Ball during this period the RAJAR figures show a decline. That's not bottling it ....that's common sense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    The Leicester Square panic button has been pressed then. That song is 13 years old.
  • mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why dont they change the processing of the station , that might help for a start, comparing dab in West Midlands and the North West where In stoke you can get both of them, the West Midlands one is not as harsh as the North West one.

But they are still both sound awful thou.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Maybe they'll bring back some legacy capital with a tiny bit more entertaining chat, and neil or no neil and DK in the mix?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ghetto Superstar..???
    This was played at breakfast last week too.
    Also heard Pussycat Dolls Dontcha and an oldish Beyonce one, so they are definitely creeping the odd older track in.
    Which is a good thing, in my opinion.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    The thing about the older tracks, is that they're all pretty safe and fit well into today's playlist. Although it was amusing to hear the Bassman saying yesterday "I found this old track on my MP3 player and couldn't WAIT to paly it for you today..."
  • djgeezadjgeeza Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mistermeep wrote: »
    Also heard Pussycat Dolls Dontcha and an oldish Beyonce one, so they are definitely creeping the odd older track in.

Even Z100 do this, and always have done to my knowledge. The odd one here or there doesn't harm the 'hit music' format at all as long as they fit right, and don't stick out too much. I don't expect they'll be stopping the high rotation currents anytime soon, so it's not a massive change really.
  • MickeyBricksMickeyBricks Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    freerj wrote: »
    but they haven't ! They have been running on high rotation for at least 6 months and found out that despite spending loads and loads on promoting the Jingle Bell Ball during this period the RAJAR figures show a decline. That's not bottling it ....that's common sense.

Aren't we always being told by Richard Park's toenails that you can't judge a station on just 3 or 6 months RAJARs - you have to give formats at least a year to settle down before implementing changes.

It's most likely that bloody ball that's the problem. People simply get sick of having constant promotions for events they have no interest in being rammed down their throats 24/7.

I mean, Jingle Bell Ball! How dated..?
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Capital sound based on tinny mobile phone speakers? Capital was the only station on my Samsung phone which sounded louder and horrible compared to other stations.
  • James Martin 2James Martin 2 Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They might have done internal research and found out that the public think Capital FM is actually a bit shit.

And when I say a bit I mean a lot.
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,721
    Forum Member
    The thing about the older tracks, is that they're all pretty safe and fit well into today's playlist. Although it was amusing to hear the Bassman saying yesterday "I found this old track on my MP3 player and couldn't WAIT to paly it for you today..."

I realise his nickname is based entirely on his surname but in every other way it really couldn't be more inappropriate :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even someone who isn't "in radio" asked me why the "bass didn't work" when her radio was on Capital?

IT'S THAT SHIT!
  • on the airon the air Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are really ramping up the recurrents.... on Monday 194 unique songs, On Friday, 199 unique songs...1 song a day added then on average.... Give it about 5 years we should have a respectable amount of songs on rotation :-)

http://comparemyradio.com/stations/Capital_FM
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Processing aside, I felt the main problem WAS there was no scope for classics. I'm glad this issue's being addressed.
  • Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ghetto Superstar - what a tune! (although I'd edit out that nasty sounding rap towards the end :D)

OutKast's "Hey Ya" is another big Capital classic.
  • nobjockeynobjockey Posts: 1,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I mean, Jingle Bell Ball! How dated..?

Z100 (the biggest "hit music" station on planet Earth, and Capital's blue-print) still do it annually, want to re-think that statement? :rolleyes:

http://www.z100.com/pages/events/jingleball10/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ghetto Superstar - what a tune! (although I'd edit out that nasty sounding rap towards the end :D)

OutKast's "Hey Ya" is another big Capital classic.

Gettaway, the rap's the best bit! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    So who do we think will be covering?

Nationally we've had luke smith in for Bassman and James Barr in for Dave Kelly

On London I think Will Cozens has covered for Roberto on a Saturday

Any thoughts for the others like rich clarke and especially the local ones.

I reckon we could be looking at the drive time jocks covring breakfast and the sunday morning jocks covering drive. Although that leaves the sunday show open because including the drivetime jocks saturday slot that would mean seven shows a week.

What do we reckon?
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mistermeep wrote: »

Yes but trouble is they are the same bloody songs too i dare not say how many time ghetto superstar has been played so that gets very boring too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally, you'll find that breakfast will be covered by the drive jock and a freelancer will in turn step up to do drive.
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member
    nobjockey wrote: »
    Z100 (the biggest "hit music" station on planet Earth, and Capital's blue-print) still do it annually, want to re-think that statement? :rolleyes:

We're not Americans for starters, I would like to think we are a little more sophisticated over here ;)
  • MickeyBricksMickeyBricks Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nobjockey wrote: »

No, I don't think so. Listeners obviously don't think so either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I don't think so. Listeners obviously don't think so either.

Source for your claim?
  • Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listeners obviously don't think so either.

Bollocks. You just don't like Capital, that's all.

I've been to two of Capital's Jingle Bell Balls - in 2008, and the Saturday night concert in 2009.

The fact is both nights were highly entertaining and absolutely packed.