Who Saw Richard Gere On Graham Norton's Show? Was He There Under Duress?....

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'll have to second that, the sense of entitlement some people get around actors/performers gets on my nerves.
    The product is on screen or on stage, you've paid for that and that's all you're 'owed'

On the earlier point of performers only turning up if they've got something to promote.
    Kenneth Williams was a performer/showoff, he turned up on Parkie repeatedly, he and Parkie never got on either.
    Kenny Williams is probably a bad example though he was a whole bundle of neuroses :)
    People do still turn up on shows to chat/perform, appearance fee probably helps a little too.
    The thread has gone a little off topic but sticking with the point about celebs showing up for a chat I remember Parky used to be like that.
    Orson Wells showed up and basically said 'let's chat - ask me anything'.
    Parky said he finally gave up when it was just people coming on to plug their latest project, who were just doing the rounds and didn't want to 'chat' at all.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    I thought Richard Gere came across as quite affable! I'd read before that he was a bit of a difficult guest - but I found him quite pleasant.

Having said that - I was probably overwhelmed by the brilliance of John Malkovich who had me in stitches.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    The thread has gone a little off topic but sticking with the point about celebs showing up for a chat I remember Parky used to be like that.
    Orson Wells showed up and basically said 'let's chat - ask me anything'.
    Parky said he finally gave up when it was just people coming on to plug their latest project, who were just doing the rounds and didn't want to 'chat' at all.

There's that well known Parkie from the 70's with Maggie Smith, John Betjeman and Kenny Williams doing the 'Union problem' wouldn't get that now on TV.
    Remember Mavis Nicholson, great interviewer, should have had a profile to compare with Parkie IMO.

I suppose this is why we've got Rossy and Norton doing their thing, not that I watch them any more, trying to inject some life into the thing rather than talking about the 'product'
    A lot of celebs seemed to turn up on Norton (when I used to watch) with no clue whatsoever about the form, totally unprepared.
    Little wonder that you'd get a poor performance from them, I blame 'their people' for not prepping them.

Having listened to interviews with some actors on things like Loose Ends or Frontrow, once the project is over, they put it from their mind and move on to the next, it doesn't pay to dwell on past projects.
    No matter how good they think it is, it can disappear without a trace.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know this is going OT but it is refreshing to know so many others share my, long held, belief that Parkys reputation is based on luck rather than talent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    Its Richard Gere he can do what he likes or something....
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Totally agree and towards the end of the show he even got Trinny and Susannah (who were also guests) to comment on her clothes:rolleyes:. He was totally in the wrong imo.

The interview happened at a time when Parky was constantly being told what a wonderful interviewer he is/was. Meg Ryan, of course, was unfamiliar with his body of work but he took this as her showing disdain towards him and went in for the kill.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    The interview happened at a time when Parky was constantly being told what a wonderful interviewer he is/was. Meg Ryan, of course, was unfamiliar with his body of work but he took this as her showing disdain towards him and went in for the kill.

Also he was expecting a typical blonde American actress bimbo type - she was far from that. Shame on you Parky!
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Imagine being 'interviewed' by Mrs Merton without prior briefing before going on.

Parky was an a@#e-licker with some 'Hollywood' guests.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »

I think I would change 'ego' for 'body of work'.

He seems to like to play up to his image, like he claims that he was too boring to be on Who Do You Think You Are. They research lots of people and don't use them all, someone has researched his family and there were of lots of 'interesting' stories there that they could have used but they might be similar to ones used in previous programmes.
  • cuzacuza Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dezire wrote: »
    Also he was expecting a typical blonde American actress bimbo type - she was far from that. Shame on you Parky!

Ha, I remember Raquel Welch being on and Parky asked her where she was from.

She replied (something like) "Well I was born in America, so I'm an American". You don't say!

I was embarrassed for her! I think we all know her nationality and he was asking her what city she was born in.

That's like the mormons who knocked at my door many years ago and when I asked them where they were from (I wondered if it was Utah), one said "Have you ever heard of America?" :eek:

Honestly, are these people for real!

I pointed out that I had done American history and geography at school and could name all 50 states. :p
  • nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but "Fans" decide to attach themselves to people of their own free will. They have no right to anything. An actor may just like acting and that is their job, not to please a bunch of people who have decided to follow the actor.

That is the usual "We have made you so we own you" nonsense that is Fanatical.

Many a great movie star with millions of fans have never or very rarely given interviews. Paul Newman hardly ever signed autographs. They owe no one anything!

I have two signed photos of Paul Newman but I know he stopped signing autographs in public when someone came up to him in a toilet while he was using the urinal and asked for an autograph!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cuza wrote: »
    Ha, I remember Raquel Welch being on and Parky asked her where she was from.

She replied (something like) "Well I was born in America, so I'm an American". You don't say!

I was embarrassed for her! I think we all know her nationality and he was asking her what city she was born in.

That's like the mormons who knocked at my door many years ago and when I asked them where they were from (I wondered if it was Utah), one said "Have you ever heard of America?" :eek:

Honestly, are these people for real!

I pointed out that I had done American history and geography at school and could name all 50 states. :p

Some people were born in one place but moved somewhere else, they could even have moved several times as they grew up then lived other places later. So the simple 'where are you from' question could take ages to answer, if those places are small towns then they might be used to people never having heard of them anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I take where are you from to mean where were you born. Not where are you living.

But my point is, she said she was born in America. So to then say "so I'm an American" is unnecessary, superfluous and silly.

It was also unnecessary to say she was American because we all know that! It's like Parky saying he's English. Or Westlife telling us they're Irish. We know!

Parky then qualified the question we all knew he was asking (except her) by saying "yes, but whereabouts?"

Her first reply should have been " I was born in Chicago".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cuza wrote: »
    Well, I take where are you from to mean where were you born. Not where are you living.

But my point is, she said she was born in America. So to then say "so I'm an American" is unnecessary, superfluous and silly.

It was also unnecessary to say she was American because we all know that! It's like Parky saying he's English. Or Westlife telling us they're Irish. We know!

Parky then qualified the question we all knew he was asking (except her) by saying "yes, but whereabouts?"

Her first reply should have been " I was born in Chicago".

It could be that with her real name and father, some might think she is an immigrant.

I suspect that if you asked Parkinson he might say he was from Yorkshire before saying he was English. :):):)

Many people were born in one place but moved somewhere else as a young child and so would consider themselves from there.

If Eddie Izzard was asked where he was from, should he say Aden or Cliff Richards, Lucknow? In the opposite direction Olivia Newton-John might say she was 'from' Melbourne but by your standard should say Cambridge
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think you are missing the point.

It was the way she carefully answered "well I'm from America (pause) so I'm an American" Duh!

I'm from England by the way. So I'm English, believe it or not! I know, it's surprising!
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,544
    Forum Member
    Yes but "Fans" decide to attach themselves to people of their own free will. They have no right to anything. An actor may just like acting and that is their job, not to please a bunch of people who have decided to follow the actor.

Many a great movie star with millions of fans have never or very rarely given interviews. Paul Newman hardly ever signed autographs. They owe no one anything!

Without the fans seeing their movies, they wouldn't be casted much in the first place don't you think? Not that he has been casted much since the late 90's has he? The last film I remember he was in was Runaway Bride and I didn't bother watching that.

Also didn't you notice that the applause at the end for him wasn't that loud or big? Definetely not compared with other Hollywood stars that have been on that I saw like Denzil Washington who was very open and engaging.
    Forum Member
    I thought Richard Gere came across as quite affable! I'd read before that he was a bit of a difficult guest - but I found him quite pleasant.

Having said that - I was probably overwhelmed by the brilliance of John Malkovich who had me in stitches.

? How many times did he say "what are you talking about/"I have no idea what your talking about"?! To me he came across as totally not wanting to be there and not wanting to engage with the interview much at all. He breifly said a few words about his new film and the most I remember him saying anything was wishing he still had his younger body
    Forum Member
    To those picking up on Parky, from what i remember, Ryan didn't like his first question at all and or disagreed with his take on the film she was there to talk about and imo she was offish from then on. Parky does get into disagreement with certain guests but its normally when they object to him, I mean don't you remember his interviews with Ali and the way Ali got all irate with him?
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dezire wrote: »
    The Meg Ryan interview you are referring to on Parky's show was spun to make her look awful. In fact if you watch it again on You Tube, Parkinson was the one at fault, he became rude and obnoxious when he realised she was an extremely bright and intelligent interviewee.
    Watch it again, I promise you that you will change your mind. I did.
    She was actually very intellectual in her response to his questions. The reason she didn't want to be there was because he was belittling everything she said.
    The program was spun by the media and that segment was highlighted to generate ratings.
    A real shame for the lady.

I couldn't agree more. Parkinson himself was responsible for promoting the idea the MR was difficult. The problem for him was that he's a mega chauvinist and women are there to be patronised and admired. Helen Mirren did an interview with him years ago and didn't take kindly to being treated like a sex object.

As for Richard Gere, he's been a self-important AH for along time.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    To those picking up on Parky, from what i remember, Ryan didn't like his first question at all and or disagreed with his take on the film she was there to talk about and imo she was offish from then on. Parky does get into disagreement with certain guests but its normally when they object to him, I mean don't you remember his interviews with Ali and the way Ali got all irate with him?

Not arguing the case for Parkie vs Ryan, but why shouldn't Parkie object to something a guest says?
    It's supposed to be and proper conversation rather than a $hits n giggles promotion fest where the interviewer just nods and asks the questions on the cards blindly.
    I'll have to bring up the Parkie vs Kenny Williams on the union question again, then again I thought Parkie was right in that case :)
    IIRC Maggie Smith dug herself into a hole with John Betjeman too, he objected to some things she said.
    Forum Member
    Not arguing the case for Parkie vs Ryan, but why shouldn't Parkie object to something a guest says?
    It's supposed to be and proper conversation rather than a $hits n giggles promotion fest where the interviewer just nods and asks the questions on the cards blindly.
    I'll have to bring up the Parkie vs Kenny Williams on the union question again, then again I thought Parkie was right in that case :)
    IIRC Maggie Smith dug herself into a hole with John Betjeman too, he objected to some things she said.

I wasn't anti parky on the Ryan thing, though I do think he does get a bit narked too easily in interviews.
  • elgransenor1elgransenor1 Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe his audience crawl was because he was recruiting a new beard?
  • elgransenor1elgransenor1 Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    actually I noticed when they showed a segment from his film john malkovich clearly did not clap at the end.

I think he would have been appalled by gere's rudeness to his host.
    Forum Member

If any actor has that attitude then I don't want my license payers money going towards having them on a show to promote their latest film then! They can't have it both ways and or all their own way!
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good post . A lot of people tend to forget that acting is just a job and that actors may in real life be nothing like the characters they portray. Most don't like having to do interviews because they have to perform as themselves, without a script, and are just not very interesting.

I saw the interview with Gere and it seemed to me that he did not like Graham very much and tried to belittle him whenever Graham tried to ask him a question. I bet in years to come Graham will recall this encounter as one of the most uncomfortable of his career. I lost all respect for Richard Gere when he made a complete ass of himself by grabbing and kissing Shilpa Shetty in public, which is something you don't do in India .