The Way Way Back

Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
Forum Member
✭✭
The Way Way Back

A very odd little movie, this almost timeless coming of age story is really well performed and has a great cast, but maybe just tries sligthtly too hard to be quirky for the sake of it. Liam James is brilliantly awkward as the lead, Duncan, who starts the movie as an introvert, embarassed and shy 14 year old, who grows in confidence during the movie, largely due to his crush on Susannah, played well by AnnaSophia Robb, (who I always thought was brilliant back in Bridge To Terabithia), and his friendship he develops with his boss at the water park he finds work at, who is a cocky bullshitter, but as it turns out, also has a big heart. Yeah, it's that kind of movie.

It's amusing enough throughout, more of a Descendants (the writers of which also wrote this) or Adventureland than an American Pie or Superbad, and there are some good comedic characters here, though a lot of the supporting roles just seem to be weirdos just to give the film a little more quirk.

Comments

• StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Mr.Lavigne wrote: »
    The Way Way Back

A very odd little movie, this almost timeless coming of age story is really well performed and has a great cast, but maybe just tries sligthtly too hard to be quirky for the sake of it. Liam James is brilliantly awkward as the lead, Duncan, who starts the movie as an introvert, embarassed and shy 14 year old, who grows in confidence during the movie, largely due to his crush on Susannah, played well by AnnaSophia Robb, (who I always thought was brilliant back in Bridge To Terabithia), and his friendship he develops with his boss at the water park he finds work at, who is a cocky bullshitter, but as it turns out, also has a big heart. Yeah, it's that kind of movie.

It's amusing enough throughout, more of a Descendants (the writers of which also wrote this) or Adventureland than an American Pie or Superbad, and there are some good comedic characters here, though a lot of the supporting roles just seem to be weirdos just to give the film a little more quirk.
    Allison Janney steals every scene she is in.

A great Film - one of the best I've seen this year - 8/10

"Just stare at the bridge of his nose, that’s what I do."
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's very good and much smarter than Adventureland, which is really just a boy-meets-girl, boy-loses-girl etc movie. The Way Way Back is beautifully written, and the acting is excellent. Allison Janney is superb and Sam Rockwell is as good as ever, but Steve Carell does something exceptional: he underplays his part, and in the process makes his character even more dislikeable (which is a brave thing to do).

The final scene stands out as a perfect piece of show-don't-tell storytelling. Highly recommended.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completely ruined for us by some slack offensive woman on her phone ordering items from Monthercare the whole film.

This probably, well definitely altered my view of it, although it was charming in every way i i walked out disappointed at the lack of funny moments (although Sam Rockwell was brill)
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A really strange but "nice" film.

Must admit that I wasn't expecting much from this but came away with a real feel good feeling.
  • GoodLuckCharmGoodLuckCharm Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Wonderful feel good film...a lot better than I thought it would be
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to see this last weekend and thought it was probably the best film I've seen this year.

Sam Rockwell and Allison Janney were hilarious.
  • nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was massively disappointed by it, Sam Rockwell was the only thing that kept me watching. The characters were half an inch deep, I couldn't care about any of them. :(
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I watched this last week and really enjoyed it. The cast are brilliant. Allison Janney needs to lead a film, she's hilarious.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this last week and really enjoyed it. The cast are brilliant. Allison Janney needs to lead a film, she's hilarious.

She's really good in Liberal Arts, although it's a smaller role than in The Way Way Back. If it ever turns up on TV or on demand it's well worth watching.