Writers You'd Like To See Having A Go At Who

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Happy New Year!

So, here's a thought looking forward past the 50th. Which writers would you like join Who for the first time and give us an episode?

I'd go for:

Emilia Di Girolamo
Charlie Brooker
Howard Overman
Jack Thorne
Edgar Wright
(And, as much as it would never happen, Joss Whedon)

I also found it odd that Lance Parkin has never been tapped up to have a go - some of this novels are very New Who in tone and he had TV experience* on Emmerdale...

E: *Just had a look online - turns out Lance never wrote a TV episode of Emmerdale, even though he was part of the team. Shame.

Comments

• Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charlie Brooker?! No way. He's good at comedy but would be terrible for Doctor Who and turn every episode into one huge in-joke.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie Brooker?! No way. He's good at comedy but would be terrible for Doctor Who and turn every episode into one huge in-joke.

Have you seen Dead Set or Black Mirror?
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree that Brooker would make a joke out of it. He can write serious material, and seeing as he loves the show, probably wouldn't want to do anything potentially dangerous with it.

But he wouldn't be my first choice :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you seen Dead Set or Black Mirror?
    No. I thought Dead Set was a joke from the trailers, and didn't know it was him. Never heard of the other one. I've seen all his Newswipe and Review Of The Year things and they're very funny though. :confused::)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I thought Dead Set was a joke from the trailers, and didn't know it was him. Never heard of the other one. I've seen all his Newswipe and Review Of The Year things and they're very funny though. :confused::)

Dead Set is a very good comedy-drama satire, while Black Mirror is the anthology drama series he's currently show-running. Well worth looking up. May even be on 4OD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    I disagree that Brooker would make a joke out of it. He can write serious material, and seeing as he loves the show, probably wouldn't want to do anything potentially dangerous with it.

But he wouldn't be my first choice :)

So who would be? :)
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely Charlie Brooker. I've wanted this for ages.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Joss Whedon
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Joss Whedon

With guest stars Mark Sheppard (returning as Canton), Nathan Fillion and Summer Glau. Sold. Moffat, you have your orders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    With guest stars Mark Sheppard (returning as Canton), Nathan Fillion and Summer Glau. Sold. Moffat, you have your orders.

Alan Tudyk as well
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Mirror looks quite good actually, I might watch that. And OK maybe two or three DW episodes by Charlie Brooker but I think a whole series would get on my nips. :o
    Actually, couldn't Neil Gaiman do all of them? Is he too busy with other things, or would there be complaints?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Charlie Brooker would be the new series equivalent of Philip Martin (Vengeance on Varos), someone who usually writes dark satirical stuff coming in to do Doctor Who. Plus he writes such witty dialogue I could just see him writing for the doctor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black Mirror looks quite good actually, I might watch that. And OK maybe two or three DW episodes by Charlie Brooker but I think a whole series would get on my nips. :o
    Actually, couldn't Neil Gaiman do all of them? Is he too busy with other things, or would there be complaints?

Indeed. I'd love to see Brooker to the odd-episode, but as show-runner? I don't think he'd consider the job.

Out my list above, I could only see Di Girolamo, Overman or Thorne possibly rise to potential show-runner status in several years.
  • mccolloughmccollough Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    David Renwick,
    Jane Goldman
    Joss Whedon

My three top picks :)
  • alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    Definitely William Gibson
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Comic writer Pat Mills

He wrote four stories for the Doctor Who Magazine in the late 70s alongside John Wagner (co-creator of Judge Dredd)

He has also written 3 adventures for the Big Finish range of audios, one of which was originally submitted for TV which, if accepted would have served as Turlough's intro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Song_of_Megaptera
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iain M. Banks is really good at hard-edged epic space opera, and in his literary guise has created some brilliantly skewed and occasionally temporally challenged stories. Although he is a novelist rather than screenwriter, so may need to be a "story by" rather than "screenplay by" credit.

Rian Johnson did an amazing job all round on looper, but he'll need to tighten up his temporal cause and effect if he's going to impress hardened who fans.

I always answer this question with Charlie Kaufman as well. His mind-bending screenplays for Being John Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind are just barely Sci-Fi, but I think that the superficial differences aren't as important as the structural peculiarities which would make him so well suited to who.

Concur with the Brooker shouts. Sophie, you're in for a treat: the second two episodes of Black Mirror are fantastic. Concise one-shot sci-fi tales that remind me of classic 50's/60s twilight zone stories.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Ravenhill would be marvellous. Tremendously brilliant stage writer. And is a Doctor Who fan himself apparently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mccollough wrote: »
    David Renwick,
    Jane Goldman
    Joss Whedon

Nice. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alienpanda wrote: »
    Definitely William Gibson

Met him many, many years ago at a book reading. Pleasingly geeky, bless him. :)

Hasn't he written for The X-Files too?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Airborae wrote: »
    Mark Ravenhill would be marvellous. Tremendously brilliant stage writer. And is a Doctor Who fan himself apparently.

Good call. I always felt that the late Sarah Kane, one of his contemporaries, had the right dark imagination too.
  • LivingDestinyLivingDestiny Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adrian Hodges
    Terry Pratchett
    Julian Jones
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adrian Hodges
    Terry Pratchett
    Julian Jones

Adrian Hodges? Primeval?
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mccollough wrote: »
    David Renwick,
    Jane Goldman
    Joss Whedon

^^^^^
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie Brooker. A fan of the show and has proved he can write very well with Black Mirror.

Joss Whedon. No more needs to be said. Stolen Earth/Journey's End would have been the one for Whedon, big story and big cast full of completely different people.

Edgar Wright would make a crazy as hell Doctor Who episode. I love the rapid approach to his work and think his style would actually work.