Sky fibre optic, or plusnet?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi

I have recently placed an order for sky fibre optic broadband (being a sky customer, I assumed this to be the best option)

however, seeing that the deal does not include evening calls (as I am currently getting with BT,) I am considering phoning up and cancelling the order.

I assume I have 14 days to change my mind, as with any contract?

I've just been looking at plusnet instead - they offer unlimted fibre optic, for the same price, inclusive of evening calls in their line rental.

anyone care to comment on which fibre optic would be better? (traffic shaping, etc?)

I could live without evening calls if needed, but for the same price, I'd consider changing over.

Comments

• Cougar GirlCougar Girl Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go with PlusNet mate and you can't go wrong. I'm with them for all (Fiber Optic 80/20, evening and weekend calls and Line rental). Connection is always rock solid and the customer service is always great, not that i've had to call them to much. Btw, I don't work for PlusNet :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I have just phoned up and cancelled my sky broadband and switch over, and then done an order for unlimited fibre optic plus net broadband.

Hopefully I will be pleased with this!
  • SkyPlatinumSkyPlatinum Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. I have just phoned up and cancelled my sky broadband and switch over, and then done an order for unlimited fibre optic plus net broadband.

Hopefully I will be pleased with this!

Good luck with this. I tried to go from sky to plusnet and it was very problematic because sky own the line and switching would have meant a disruption in service
  • tedsloantedsloan Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Yes, PlusNet is a very good choice. They give a first class service to their customers and I believe that you will be pleased with what they offer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck with this. I tried to go from sky to plusnet and it was very problematic because sky own the line and switching would have meant a disruption in service

OK, thanks. But sky haven't actually taken over my line yet. I managed to cancel the order before they switched me. So I'm still with BT.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, thanks. But sky haven't actually taken over my line yet. I managed to cancel the order before they switched me. So I'm still with BT.

To be honest with you, and I wouldn't have said this a few years ago but you can't go wrong with BT Wholesale's new 21CN network (that Plusnet fibre runs on).

I've seen no complaints of slowdown in peak times and I personally have never experienced any. It really is very resilient and has massive capacity. Sky have been having capacity issues recently in some exchanges.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    To be honest with you, and I wouldn't have said this a few years ago but you can't go wrong with BT Wholesale's new 21CN network (that Plusnet fibre runs on).

I've seen no complaints of slowdown in peak times and I personally have never experienced any. It really is very resilient and has massive capacity. Sky have been having capacity issues recently in some exchanges.

Oh good.that's nice to know.thanks.

They have predicted me 51mb. I would be happy with even half of that in reality.

At the moment my ordinary ADSL line gets me just below 5mb,and its difficult to watch i
    IPlayer, Netflix, ext, without it pausing to buffer.
  • blisteringblueblisteringblue Posts: 203
    Forum Member

You are going to get an interruption in service because Sky are ar$es. We went from Sky LLU to Plusnet last summer and we were off for 2 days, which is a lot better than the 10 days Sky quote in their termination e-mail. They only quote this to dissuade you from leaving.

It doesn't need to be this long, or even the 2 days ours took but you have to wait for your line to port back to the BT system.

While I had no issue when on sky, I cancelled the TV so didn't want a premium for BB. Plus our exchange goes to fibre soon and I would rather be on a BT based fibre product than sky.
  • AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best thing I ever did was cancel Sky+/SkyBB & switch to Freeview+ for the TV & Plusnet for BB.
    Saved me £65 a month overall !!

I'd NEVER go back to Sky.Ever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks.

My plus net install is tomorrow!

Hope its as good as they make out
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    It doesn't need to be this long, or even the 2 days ours took but you have to wait for your line to port back to the BT system.
    Which must have been incompetence by BT! Porting from BT to Sky was only 10 MINUTES downtime. Porting back should have been the same!
    While I had no issue when on sky, I cancelled the TV so didn't want a premium for BB. Plus our exchange goes to fibre soon and I would rather be on a BT based fibre product than sky.
    As both BT (Retail) and Sky use the SAME Openreach Fibre this makes little sense!
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a wise change of mind there ... sky broadband is over-subscribed right now & they are struggling to cope in some areas!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    a wise change of mind there ... sky broadband is over-subscribed right now & they are struggling to cope in some areas!

Yeah. Thanks.

I think I narrowly missed the bullet there.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    barky99 wrote: »
    I think this is being vastly overstated!!! Sky Broadband is oversubscribed in about 5% of exchanges, they have a website to enquire if any particular exchange is affected AND an upgrade programme to sort it all out within a couple of months!!!!! Many other ISPs might have kept such news well hidden!

My connection has (as always!) been rock-solid and at the expected speed!