Chromebook

DianeDiane Posts: 1,389
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone have one on here, if so do you have time to tell me what you like and dont like.

Am wanting something with a 10" ish size screen and keyboard to take on holiday for just browsing the web and picking up emails and someone suggested this would do the job at a much cheaper price than an ipad.

Thanks

Comments

• scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have used one they are nice to use, I like the samsung model myself, nice keyboard to type on, interface is simple and easy to use, easy to get hold of applications and so on and some documents are stored off line therefore you do not need access to the web.. unfort thats all i can tell you..
    personally forget the laptop and enjoy the hoiday
  • DianeDiane Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reply scruffpot much appreciated.

I will enjoy my holiday don't you worry, lol
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Diane

I have this Chromebook and I absolutely love it.
    Its really fast and the screen is HD which makes everything look nice and crisp. I only needed something for browsing the internet and watching YouTube videos so the Acer was a no brainer at that price.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For this kind, purely basic netbook use, a Chromebook is a good choice (well the cheap ones anyway, not the Pixel).

OP, I recommend you get a Samsung one with an Intel processor, not the Acer one with ARM processor even if the ARM one is cheaper.
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    For this kind, purely basic netbook use, a Chromebook is a good choice (well the cheap ones anyway, not the Pixel).

OP, I recommend you get a Samsung one with an Intel processor, not the Acer one with ARM processor even if the ARM one is cheaper.

The Acer has an Intel Celeron Dual Core Processor.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the Samsung Series 3 chromebook. It's a great device, with a good keyboard. I mainly use it for typing and web browsing and for that its great. I think it should be fine for what you need it for.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife has one and loves it.

The other real problems is that you cannot run iTunes on it and need To Cloud printer.

It's ideal for word processing, spreadsheet etc and surfing the Web along with EMAIL.

Also you can use a lot of the apps offline.

They are very well built.

Are you looking into the new Chromebook (I believe it's called Pixel)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the advice am going to have a look at the Samsung and Acer chromebooks as from what you're saying seems to fit my requirements.

Matt - Dont think I'll need a printer as I have a desktop/printer at home and not bothered about i tunes but thanks for pointing that out. Just really wanted it to browse the web when I'm away from home, have a samsung galaxy s2 which is fine but wanted something with a bigger screen.

Another question, friends say get an ipad but what would that do for me what the chromebook wont do ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diane wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the advice am going to have a look at the Samsung and Acer chromebooks as from what you're saying seems to fit my requirements.

Matt - Dont think I'll need a printer as I have a desktop/printer at home and not bothered about i tunes but thanks for pointing that out. Just really wanted it to browse the web when I'm away from home, have a samsung galaxy s2 which is fine but wanted something with a bigger screen.

Another question, friends say get an ipad but what would that do for me what the chromebook wont do ?

Burn a hole in your pocket faster? If you want a tablet, have you considered a Galaxy Tab 2? Pretty much on a par with a Chromebook pricewise - personally I'd choose a Nexus 7 for the job you want, but it isn't 10in.
  • BrayBray Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I had a Samsung Chromebook, it's been great. It's very faster and easier when you use it browse and do some basic stuff, and the price is very nice
  • BrayBray Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Look around these chromebooks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bray wrote: »
    Look around these chromebooks

Thanks for that website, lol and thanks to everyone for their help
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm brought one (samsung S3) as a secondary device, but ironically as i type on it now posting this, i realise it's taken over as my primary device now. Great little things, i LOVE mine!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone help me with these please( samsung chromebook series 3 )

1) Ive set the home page in settings to my fav website but it doesnt come up when I sign in

2) I cant seem to transfer pictures from my phone, attached the phone cable and the phone says found device but nothing happens on the chomebook

3) Also tried to put my memory stick in chromebook to try and transfer pictures from there and when I insert it it makes a noise but again nothing happens on my chromebook screen.

What am I doing wrong please?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone help me?
  • AnjomoAnjomo Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Have you set your home page in the "on start-up" section too.
    Open a specific page is the option you need iirc.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diane wrote: »
    2) I cant seem to transfer pictures from my phone, attached the phone cable and the phone says found device but nothing happens on the chomebook

3) Also tried to put my memory stick in chromebook to try and transfer pictures from there and when I insert it it makes a noise but again nothing happens on my chromebook screen.
    I was Googling for something else and accidentally came across this article about a File app which I guess might be relevant. Apologies if it's no use or you already know about it.
    http://support.google.com/chromeos/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=1056323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anjomo wrote: »
    Have you set your home page in the "on start-up" section too.
    Open a specific page is the option you need iirc.

Ive set my home page and created the home button and Ive followed the instructions on here which should launch my fav website when I launch chrome

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95421

But it doesnt work