I have a good idea for a storyline I don't think has been done before...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
Forum Member
I would like to see it for EastEnders more...

Two young adults have a one night stand. The young woman gets pregnant but keeps it to herself instead of telling the dad that the baby is his. Heavily pregnant, the young woman decides to tell the guy that he is the dad. However when she goes into a difficult labour and eventually gives birth to the baby, the young woman tragically dies in child birth, before she has a chance to tell the guy that he is the father. Leaving the Dad unaware, living on the same square with his child but not knowing that the baby is actually his, while the mothers relatives take in the child.

Would find that kind of sad and tragic. it would also leave the viewers tense knowing the truth whilst everyone else doesn't.

Comments

• Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member

Two young adults have a one night stand. The young woman gets pregnant but keeps it to herself instead of telling the dad that the baby is his. Heavily pregnant, the young woman decides to tell the guy that he is the dad. However when she goes into a difficult labour and eventually gives birth to the baby, the young woman tragically dies in child birth, before she has a chance to tell the guy that he is the father. Leaving the Dad unaware, living on the same square with his child but not knowing that the baby is actually his, while the mothers relatives take in the child.

Would find that kind of sad and tragic. it would also leave the viewers tense knowing the truth whilst everyone else doesn't.

I like it! The only problem I could see with it is if Eastenders got their hands on it, they wouldn't be able to resist a Christmas reveal the same year the young mother died in childbirth. Whereas your idea would be so much more tragic as a long term storyline ie years like the Mark Fowler HIV story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    If they both live in the same square, wouldn't someone put two and two together once he sees she is pregnant and ask for a DNA test? That's the only problem I can see, your story is really good :)
  • topgooner100topgooner100 Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good idea much better than some of the ones which constantly get recycled! As well as Enders it could work on Hollyoaks too?
  • Alex250PAlex250P Posts: 1,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's good! Would be good as a long-running storyline, but then people would get sick of it being 'dragged out' too long. The woman could sleep with a few men around the same time, or simply tell the guy he isn't the dad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    Thank you everybody. :)

Yeah I think she could tell him he isn't the dad at first when he finds out she is pregnant and asks if he is. She tells him he is not the father and it is someone else's, because after sleeping with him, she hears rumours (which are true) that he has started dealing drugs and this scares the young woman from involving him in their baby's life. Later as the months go on and the dads drug dealing storyline plays out, his reputation around the square worsens. Then after too much shame and bad experiences, he decides it is time to leave behind his reckless life and make something of himself. As the now heavily pregnant young woman starts to take notice of his redeeming efforts. This prompts her to make the decision to tell him he is the father after all. However when she finally tries to reach out after nervous preparation, she goes in to labour...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How depressing.
  • princesstinprincesstin Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah I think she could tell him he isn't the dad at first when he finds out she is pregnant and asks if he is. She tells him he is not the father and it is someone else's, because after sleeping with him, she hears rumours (which are true) that he has started dealing drugs and this scares the young woman from involving him in their baby's life. Later as the months go on and the dads drug dealing storyline plays out and his reputation around the square worsens, he decides it is time to leave behind his reckless life and make something of himself. As the now heavily pregnant young woman starts to take notice of his redeeming efforts. This prompts her to make the decision to tell him he is the father after all. However when she finally tries to reach out after nervous preparation, she goes in to labour...

This is great! I love your creativity. Have you considered developing this as a script and submitting it to the BBC Writers' Room? http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/send-a-script/ The way EE is nowadays, they may or may not take the storyline on, but it could also work as a standalone drama?
    Forum Member
    This is great! I love your creativity. Have you considered developing this as a script and submitting it to the BBC Writers' Room? http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/send-a-script/ The way EE is nowadays, they may or may not take the storyline on, but it could also work as a standalone drama?

Wow, thank you so very much for the generous words of encouragement. :) i really appreciate that. I never knew you could submit scripts to the BBC! Thank you for the link.
  • princesstinprincesstin Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, thank you so very much for the generous words of encouragement. :) i really appreciate that. I never knew you could submit scripts to the BBC! Thank you for the link.

You're welcome. The scripts don't necessarily go to EE but you never know, if the script is good enough the BBC may pick it up/adapt it as a separate drama. :)
  • superbass88superbass88 Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't you think the Father might put two and two together questions the child's paternity?
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member

Yeah I think she could tell him he isn't the dad at first when he finds out she is pregnant and asks if he is. She tells him he is not the father and it is someone else's

Ben and Lexi?
  • R2Y5A0N2R2Y5A0N2 Posts: 54,679
    Forum Member
    The child would look like the father as he/she grew older & the guy who is the father would start piecing things together & work out that he could be the Dad x
    Forum Member
    los.kav wrote: »
    Ben and Lexi?

It wouldn't be as bad as it was done with those characters. We as the audience would be fully aware he actually was the dad through the mother. And the parents would not be close friends, just rare acquaintances who both lead different lives and happen to live on the same square :)
    Forum Member
    The child would look like the father as he/she grew older & the guy who is the father would start piecing things together & work out that he could be the Dad x

Yeah. The story go on with the father not knowing and eventually the storyline would settle until further down a couple of years for the child to grow up a little. Where there could be little signs that he is the biological father.

Or, he could find out later through the girls mother (who is raising the baby). Telling him in a casual but significant conversation that her daughter was never fond of him because of his drug reputation. From that knowledge, the dad puts two and two together, knowing he slept with the girl and questioned her about being the father, only now he sees clearly the reason (his drug reputation) she would have to deny his query that he was the dad.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hate to say this but this sounds suspiciously like the Tyrone, Molly and Kevin story done in corrie a few years ago. A few details are different but it sounds almost the same.

Don't mean to put a dampner on it but that's how I read it.
  • MittenMitten Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds similar to Laura and Ian Beale. Didn't Laura die without telling Ian he was Bobby's father?
    Forum Member
    Mitten wrote: »
    Sounds similar to Laura and Ian Beale. Didn't Laura die without telling Ian he was Bobby's father?

Laura told him he was the dad, but Ian never believed her cause he had the snip. lol!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SilverViens you're a genius. Love that idea. (I always thought your name was SilverVeins for some reason lol)
    Forum Member
    rbdcay wrote: »
    Hate to say this but this sounds suspiciously like the Tyrone, Molly and Kevin story done in corrie a few years ago. A few details are different but it sounds almost the same.

Don't mean to put a dampner on it but that's how I read it.

No that is a fair thing to say if that is how you read it. Coronation street certainly never came into my mind when thinking up the story.

The Kevin and molly story was more like an affair storyline, with another male involved (Tyrone) thinking he was the dad, and Kevin knew he was the dad ect. Whereas my story it would be based on a couple, where the mother and the audience know he is the dad but no one else does. I don't see the comparison at all to be fair.
    Forum Member
    maurice45 wrote: »
    SilverViens you're a genius. Love that idea. (I always thought your name was SilverVeins for some reason lol)

Thank you very much Mauruce45! :) Lol, yeah that was how my name was supposed to be spelt, but I made a spelling mistake :D
  • walford-e20walford-e20 Posts: 6,554
    Forum Member
    I like the idea, but I'd have the man know he was the father from the off. Soaps these days are too dependent on reveals, by the end of this year alone we'll have had the reveals of Heather's killer, Max's secret, Kat's lover, Cora's daughter, etc. I think EastEnders should focus more on long-running storylines that run to their natural end, rather than stretching them out to fit in with Christmas like they've done with Kat's affair. :sleep: