PC power on but no signal to monitor help!

Hi guys hope you can help

My pc has been working fine for a few years and yesterday was working it quite hard (well updating ITunes which hogged all the CPU) and had it on for about 24 hours solid. Turned it off last night and this morning the power on the pc turns on but the screen is in standby.

I have tried
1. Swapping vga leads
2. Checked the monitor with another computer (and is fine)
3. Checked the computer with another monitor (same issue)

The light on my mouse in on and the power on the computer seems to be ok (there is a little red light on the front of the computer which seems to flash at a pattern of 12 3 4 [small pause] and then repeats

I have given the components a quick dust but not sure what else to do - any advice? I have a load of stuff on there I need to salvage

Comments

• edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably blown your graphics chip or port. Don't worry, neither of those components hold your data. If you need to replace the motherboard you'll be able to salvage your data off your current hard disk.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    Probably blown your graphics chip or port. Don't worry, neither of those components hold your data. If you need to replace the motherboard you'll be able to salvage your data off your current hard disk.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I should also mention I tried plugging the vga lead into the port by the top of the computer as well as on the graphics card (I think the built in moterhboard one) and still the same. Not sure if this means it is the motherbaord?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Open the case and take the suspect graphics card out, then plug the cable into the on-board port. If the on-board port is just disabled in the BIOS that might wake it into life for long enough for you to access the BIOS settings and make it the primary video out.
    Forum Member
    OK I will try that now - just had a quick look and the graphics card is in pretty solid - looks like there is a clip or something at the end that is in tight!
    Forum Member
    No difference - it is still going into standby
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn. Looks like you might need a new motherboard then. As I posted earlier your data is safe, but I think you need to get your credit card out.
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    Damn. Looks like you might need a new motherboard then. As I posted earlier your data is safe, but I think you need to get your credit card out.

Bugger - oh well thanks for talking me through in any case

How do I rescue the things on my hardrive and does it mean I will need to reinstall windows etc over the hardrive when I get a new board?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should be able to boot from the installed Windows on your existing hard disk, albeit in a limited form, which providing what's installed recognises your ethernet or wifi connection will then link you out to Microsoft to download and install the remaining drivers. Keep your installation CD handy in case it asks for it.
    Forum Member
    OK Thanks for your help
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    If your data is important, you need to back it up before you do anything else.

You can either remove the hard drive and connect it to another machine (either internally or via a USB adapter/caddy). Or boot from a Linux Live disk and access your data that way. If you search this forum, you'll find many threads explaining what to do. You'll also find many comments from people asking why on earth you didn't have your data backed up.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the make & model of the pc?

Did the red light on the pc flash before you had this problem? Most pc's have a red light on the case which flashes as the hard drive is accessed.

Did your pc give a "beep" when it used to start up? If so, does it still do it now?